R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default making carbonfiber chassis

How hard is to make a carbonfiber chassis.I would like one for my exced madspeed.
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
How hard is to make a carbonfiber chassis.I would like one for my exced madspeed.
Not too difficult if you have a milling machine or cnc router.
rickster58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

I'm not sure about carbon fiber, but I have made some chassis out of fiberglass sheet and it's not all that hard. I used my 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cutting disc for the long cuts and then a Dremel with cutoff wheel for the small stuff. I shouldn't think carbon fiber would be too much harder to work with.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Thanks wish there was a company who made them.I know it's not a named car but so many guys buy them for drifting.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not to slam on your idea or anything because it is ok just to want it because you want it, but in the end it will be easier to just by a nice used TC with a carbon fiber chassis.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Whatever you do, don't breathe that CF dust... is no good for you. Be carefull if you get into cutting the stuff.
nf_ekt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Its not all that hard, but then most of my life i have worked in construction/engineering and have no issues with using tools and such. I would use a micro router to do all the cutting, start my making a cutting jig for all the external cuts, you really need these cuts to be perfect and straight to keep the car balanced, then after you have cut the chassis, you can clamp the old one on top of the new one and use it as your jig to drill all screw holes and then route any other internal cuts that need to be made. All up it is not hard to make a copy of chassis using aluminum, carbon or glass fiber, you just need to take your time with it and get your initial setup jig perfect.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Tech Adept

First off, by the time your done, your gonna spend alot of time and money, plus how are your gonna drill all the holes dead on?
Dealing with carbon if not a cnc router setup, you will need a bandsaw, a wet cutting one would be best, second, make sure your using a very good vacuum cleaner when drilling and cutting carbon dry, if you think fiberglass itches, wait till you try carbon, like 5 times worse.
I would hit up someone with a cnc router.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
First off, by the time your done, your gonna spend alot of time and money, plus how are your gonna drill all the holes dead on?
Dealing with carbon if not a cnc router setup, you will need a bandsaw, a wet cutting one would be best, second, make sure your using a very good vacuum cleaner when drilling and cutting carbon dry, if you think fiberglass itches, wait till you try carbon, like 5 times worse.
I would hit up someone with a cnc router.
If he has the tools to do the job, all it is going to cost him is carbon sheet. As for the health and safety issues, anyone who is working with carbon or glass is going to wear a dust mask and paper coveralls and work in a well ventilated area, i cant remember the last time i had an itch fro working with glass, and i work with it a lot.

As for tools, http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/...x?ReviewID=188 would do the job perfectly and if you were really clever you would hard mount it and make a x and y axis table under it to have your very own manual cutting deck. Or, if you are going to do a lot of home made, look at getting some Proxxon tools, like their mini lathe, milling and routing machines, but those are more for the hard core home constructionists.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

bandsaws do not cut CF well, tends to tear the fiber apart. I haven't cut any in a while, so I don't have a good source for the decent carbon fibre sheet. Has anyone been able to find a source for good quality sheet material to work with. Please let me know.

Oh, always wear a dust mask.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post
bandsaws do not cut CF well, tends to tear the fiber apart. I haven't cut any in a while, so I don't have a good source for the decent carbon fibre sheet. Has anyone been able to find a source for good quality sheet material to work with. Please let me know.

Thanks
Ebay.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post

Thanks
You need the right blade, I use vari tooth cobalt, no tearing , wet cutting helps keep the blade cooler and the cut cleaner, I bought 30lbs off ebay, 1.5mm to 4.0mm, gotta love flatrate boxes
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Thanks im going to look more in to it.The car comes with a 3 part chassis i have the front and rear carbonfiber already that they make.i was just thinking it would be nice to have the rest carbonfiber.I realy don't know alot about touring cars but the one i have looks like every other shaft car.
Attached Thumbnails
making carbonfiber chassis-exceed-001.jpg   making carbonfiber chassis-exceed-002.jpg   making carbonfiber chassis-madspeed-hooked-002.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
Tech Adept

If you're serious about going that route but don't have the tools yourself or access to a friendly machinist check out this company:

http://www.emachineshop.com/

You'll still need to know a bit about design but their software is really easy to use and you'll get precise holes and countersinks. The pricing of the finished product be a little shocking though.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Try to contact Fibrelyte in England , they make what you want , they just need a drawing.

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
johnsen-dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links