Wiki Posts
Search

Question for TC racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default Question for TC racing

I have a TA04 that I have been racing 17.5 with at a local track. I do very well with it and currently place 1st or 2nd depending on how the other guy does.

The car is the only tub out there, and I have a sentimental attachment to it. It is heavy and old, but it really rips around the track and does quite well against other cars....

Currently the cars I race against are HPI TCX, (2) Sakura Zero, (2) Xray T3 and two TC5R's.

The guy driving the HPI is the one I battle with the most.

I am not naive enough to think that this car will last, but there is no real reason I should upgrade. The car is tuned to my driving ability, and it is nice to have the old car compete with newer cars.

I came into a touch of Christmas money and I need your guys opinion. For $125 I can get the rest of the upgrades and pretty much make this a 414. I would have the only Ta04 / 414 around and parts are still available on the bay and here if needed.

OR

for the same amount I can get a Spec R1 S1 and put my extra set of Tamiya shocks on it and race it.

Should I go full out on the Tamiya or get the updated version of a TC car in the SPec R...

Thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have a used spec r r1 for sale.
But if you are doing well with the tub chassis why mess with a good working car?
However, with a carbon chassis car you can get closer to the min weight with better balance.
Also, is your tub chassis tweak free? I doubt it.
Setting accurate height and droop on a carbon chassis car can only help.
I raced a TA05v2 until recently. The chassis was tweaked like all ta05 tubs. And it was overweight. But I did OK.
If you buy a $400+ TC, you will immediately notice the difference in quality and handling.
But if you are on a tight budget, spec r s1 will still be a level above your TA04.

Link to my R1 in for sale section.

But let me warn you. Spec R cars are not durable like $400+ TC. The hinge pins break and the plastic pieces break in a crash more easily than XRAY, or Wildfire.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I say try the Spec-R S1.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As long as you still enjoy driving the TA04, then keep it rolling and hope Tamiya doesn't discontinue some vital part of the car.