Wiki Posts
Search

Speed Controller Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default Speed Controller Shootout

I was just wondering what esc a lot people are using. I race at a Nitro dominant track and there is only a handfull of electric guys, just need a little input on why you use what you use.

Tekin
LRP
Novak
Speed Passion
Viper
Hobbywing

I use Speed Passion and I love it Great price awesome power, I just dont like the program box other than that its awesome.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 PM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koopesv
I was just wondering what esc a lot people are using. I race at a Nitro dominant track and there is only a handfull of electric guys, just need a little input on why you use what you use.

Tekin
LRP
Novak
Speed Passion
Viper
Hobbywing

I use Speed Passion and I love it Great price awesome power, I just dont like the program box other than that its awesome.
Tekin RX8 wins the SuperBowl, Daytona 500,and the WorldCup.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koopesv

Tekin
LRP
Novak
Speed Passion
Viper
Hobbywing

They are all very good.

If you spent a day with each, the end result would be more or less the same.

LRP I think is the easiest to start with, as there is no computer to program, just push a few buttons and you're off.

Tekin, Viper, & Novak should have the most tuning options if you want to get under the hood and tweak a bit more.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It all depends on the class you want to race : tekin rs pro for all stock classes, but a Rx8 in mod with 2.5t to 4.5t motors....
Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

decided not to take part...

but there is ONE honest answer already here.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skypilot
decided not to take part...

but there is ONE honest answer already here.
I heard rumor (keyword, rumor) that ROAR is going to ban certain ESCs, including the Tekin RS because of the external software updates or something like that. I'm not completely sure though. Just heard they were tossing the idea around. Can anyone else confirm this or heard of it?

The Tekins are nice though. If you aren't doing Nats and your club doesn't go by ROAR rules, I'd go with the Tekin. I have an LRP SSX StockSpec coming soon. Going to try that in my 1/12th.

If you do decide to go electric though, experiment if you can. All personal preference.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

there all fast it will nost likely come down to your driving. tried all the speedos none off them got me a win sp hw my choice can be very fast in stock and run mod with no troubles
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

With the newish Speed Passion software in mind, I would choose Speed Passion. It is smooth and is easily as fast as anything else out there. And it is awesome at running mod too!

I was really happy with my Tekin, and for stock it is a great ESC, but I don't like it for modified. The Speed Passion is so much more smooth.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have the Tekin RS Pro and Tekin RX8. I also have a Speed Passion EX 2.1 I use in my 12 scale and a GT Pro 2.0 in my TC. I like Tekin but Speed Passion is so smooth. I heard the LRPs are even smoother than the SP. I haven't tried one yet to confirm this.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Speed Passion, Tekin and Lrp seem to be the most popular from what I seen and LRP leading the way in MOD. Why Novak hasnt stepped there game up besides the Kinetic, I guess they figure they would stay in there lane with offroad along with Castle. I just wish I had more SP guys around during races.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Novak is perfectly fine for blinky mode, and getting closer in ramping mode.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Initiate

i need a good speed controller what is a good 1 to run 17.5 and mod with
Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want cheap non timing esc then: Novak gtb $99.99
If you want a no turn limit esc with timing , blinky mode, and boost, then: Speedpassion
If you run only 7.5t to 13.5t then: tekin rs pro
If you want to run modified low turns only then: tekin rx8
Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skypilot
Novak is perfectly fine for blinky mode, and getting closer in ramping mode.
imho i think that the novak gtb/gtb-2(#1709) is the bargain of the bunch at $99 you can't go wrong. whether running stock or mod it can handle the motors. my only gripe is the size. it's a bit large and the hanging capacitor doesn't make it look clean. my next choice would be the lrp tc spec. as it is very easy to use like the novak and gives a cleaner look. for more (cheater) options i would go for the tekin rs. it can handle motors down to 5 turns and the hot wire is awesome . and then there is the speedpassion, alot of choices for your application. just don't install the wrong program or you could fry a motor.i own all of these and there is no bad choice, just different. look for the one you can get the most support from, for your rc application. goodluck
Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am amazed to see the opinions ppl have when they have been on this website for as long as they have..... I mean granted ppl can correct me if they like as i know I have been in the hobby for over 15 years but never used the website til 12 months ago but...

Trust me do never put equipment down and tell ppl w2hat to run and what not to....

I have used to top on the line stuff going by dollar and then the cheapest shit u can buy from hong kong for 10 bucks and i tell ya what its feel and comfort and what you wanna do with it go by manufactures specs.... dont listen to anyone dribbling....
As if a company says the speed control can be used and down to a certain wind or kv go by that.... as they are the ones supplying the warranty not the ppl you listen to on here.

Enough said.
Fordy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.