R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Tamiya TT-01 Suggestions

I'm on a 500$ budget. I'm gonna Purchase a Tamiya TT-01 Sometime in November, which leaves me tons fo time to learn. I do know that My Car, the Battery and everything I need cost 306USD in-all (Plus Shipping). Thats leaves around 100-200$ left to customize my TT-01. Now heres where you guys come in .

I plan on creating a RC Club, Driving around with friends (All four of them are planning on purchasing a TT-01 Too; in July and August), racing @ events and drifting. I'm already gonna get Racing Tires for Non-Drift Racing. Other than that... I'm stuck. Please Help

BTW, I wanted to paint my Body and add an RC exhaust but sadly, I'm a terrible Painter so I wouldn't know how that would work.
Wavey_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Alright yer gonna need the aluminum drive shaft, stock is gonna flex and rattle (around 12-15$)
Bearings, the stock bushings/bearings just plain out suck (20-25$)
New dampners, depending where you get it the prices will vary, in the hobby stores they are normally 70$+ but i order mine on rcmart.com which i can get some for 35$ thats with shipping and handling.
Aluminum steering links are good too, stock are fine but in my opinion the aluminum with bearings handle smoother. in stores 60$+ and once again rc mart has ehm for CHEAP.
from my experiences with the tto1 thats bout all is really needed but i still went all out with mine
mytto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

This thread has all your TT01 answers.

TT-01 Forum
Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Bearings, hard driveshaft and brushless set!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Your first mistake is buying a TT01.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Ty for those who helped,
@RC.Jon22 A little too mean/aggressive?
Wavey_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Hi guys im a noob but could you tell me if this motor and esc would be fit for drifting with a locked diff and ball bearings , with a aluminium shaft , or do i need a higher turn motor lik 13.5 turn , Thanks
TitanRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Tech Addict

better off with club tc4
TeamThibault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you starting with a TT01E kit? If so, the drive shaft and bearingsare definite necessities. If the kit already comes with oil shocks, aluminum ones aren't necessary, but RCMart has 3racing ones for the TT01 for cheap. Same goes for bearing steering. And yes, I'd definitely hit RCMart first for the other stuff too; some things (like the steering) are free shipping. I'd also suggest the 58/55 tooth spur gears and larger pinions. The TT01 uses Tamiya's AV size, and can be bought in pairs of 20/21, 22/23, and 24/25 teeth. You may eventually want cvd axles, but be careful there, as some of the aftermarket ones need you to buy different differentials as well. Again, RCMart has some great ones: solid axles, ball differentials, and one-way differentials.
longuylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Why not look at a better car to start? The tb03 is shaft drive, comes with aluminum shaft, bearings, machine screws, and aluminum adjustable motor mount standard. Not to mention tunable diffs, metal dog bones and full metal axles. Plus oil shocks, camber and caster changes, kick up, and roll center adjustments.

All those are just things you would spend to change out on a tt01 anyways, and stil end up with an inferior car.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRS View Post
Hi guys im a noob but could you tell me if this motor and esc would be fit for drifting with a locked diff and ball bearings , with a aluminium shaft , or do i need a higher turn motor lik 13.5 turn , Thanks
A 13.5 is just about perfect for all around drift action.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Why not look at a better car to start? The tb03 is shaft drive, comes with aluminum shaft, bearings, machine screws, and aluminum adjustable motor mount standard. Not to mention tunable diffs, metal dog bones and full metal axles. Plus oil shocks, camber and caster changes, kick up, and roll center adjustments.

All those are just things you would spend to change out on a tt01 anyways, and stil end up with an inferior car.
That is the best advice here.

If you MUST get a TT01, dont spend $$ on it, its money down the drain.
Only buy ball bearings & metal drive shaft. Why they never came with these most basic of parts is beyond me.
Plastic dogbones...really ???

The TT01 is a very crude car. If it was made by any other brand it would be considered a joke, considering its price.
Buy a TB03 or TB04 instead. Or a Sakura .

Ive owned 2 TT01's . they are what they are. Extremley crude , but bulletproof. And alot of fun admittedly.
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you and four of your friends are all going to get TT01s, then it doesn't matter that it isn't the best chassis. You can have a blast driving with them, learning the nuances of car control, and slowly upgrade your car as you improve. When you're all ready to move on, you can all get better cars and have fun again.
longuylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Tech Champion

The plus to the tt01 is that it comes with a body, esc, and motor. So you could get the kit and spend 55 dollars more for radio, servo, and battery/trickle charger and have a running car. Assuming you have someone to paint the body, or that's another 7-15 dollars. So having a rtr car for under 200 is pretty good.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

We have a heat just for the Tamiya TT-01's at our club and it has on occasion been two heats. It is about having some fun whilst racing, with a few youngsters learning too, some have pick-ups bodies on their cars and most run tyres out of the club's used tyre box (so mostly used Sorex 32's). Granted they aren't the most complex and but they are quite robust - they need to be given the paint-trading that goes on between some of them. Below is the rules that they run to.

Tamiya TT-01 Cup

Rules

- Chassis must be a TT-01 or TT-01E kit by Tamiya.
- No adjustable parts to be used i.e turnbuckles, toe in parts.
- No oil filled shocks to be used, only kit friction shocks.
- Stock Silver can motor by Tamiya to be used as per kit, NO G2 cans.
- Gearing is open which is 0.6 mod pitch, Tamiya only spur gears by pinions are open to other manufacturers.
- Nimh batteries 7.2v only to be used with any connectors, no lipos.
- Tyres are open.
- No additive or tyre warmers to be used.
- No motor fans or heatsinks.

Bodyshells

- Any Real/Scale Bodyshell in 190mm or 200mm can be used
- No touring car shells to be used which are made for performance racing i.e the touring car class, some examples are Protoform mazde speed 6, ltc-r, p-37. Blitz tsx, isf, gsx.
- Please ask on the group page if you are unsure about a bodyshell before purchasing
it
- Wings to be more scale then performance, No metal wings allowed due to safety

Upgrades

- Ally center shaft and ally wheel hexs are allowed as over the testing period these have proven to be the 2 main weaknesses but are not necessary.
- Full ball bearing kit is permitted
Lantern Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote