R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   battery matching (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/52517-battery-matching.html)

gspot69d 10-11-2004 01:54 PM

battery matching

does anyone know how to match batteries i am fairly new to rcing and i am planning on buying a 24cell pack of epic batteries and i want to get the most out of these batteries

Chill Will 10-11-2004 03:32 PM

You will need a battery charger like the CS turbo 30, 35 or the newest one. I forgot the name..lol.... and a single cell charger.

071crazy 10-11-2004 04:49 PM

You will also need a zapper to get the most potential out of the batteries. Given that the equipment for matching can be pretty expensive, it is not worth the money to get a bunch of unprocessed cells, unless you plan on matching thousands. In fact, you can probably get 4 decent race packs for a small premium over buying a block.

Joe B 10-11-2004 04:53 PM

Not to be negative but, going through the expence of buying equipment , like an expensive matching device, like a comp electronics turbo matcher, or even a GFX to match 24 virgin cells, that haven't even gone through an IMPORTANT voltage inhancing, initial cell zapping process, isn't gonna give you much in return....... In my opinion.... even if you were fairly experienced with r/c stuff you'd be much more ahead of the game to buy a couple or a few good priced(not too high in demand) 1.165 to 1.170+ packs from any of the reputable matchers out there..This is much better than what you could come up with without spending over a thousand dollars and most likely having to buy hundreds of cells to go through.....Im not sure if they still do, but fusion had a pretty good combo deal on a set of matched packs :cool:

Joe B 10-11-2004 04:55 PM

071 beat me to it:cool:

gspot69d 10-12-2004 05:24 PM

well thanks for raining on my parade lol thanks for the info it is probably better if i dont buy the big block then

John Fontaine 10-13-2004 10:23 AM

To to be honest, no, it's not worth it. If you were doing it from an educational stand instead of a performance stand and money wasn't an issues, then I would say go for it.

Matching your cells without zapping them results in packs around 1.12 and sucky punch. Plus the fact that you need to buy a turbo 30 matcher or atleast a GFX which is 650$ or 400$. Why do this to yourself? Let the matchers out there do the hard work and you purchase from them and reap the benefits. :)

Unless you want an education and want to learn about the high-tech world of RC battery matching. Up to you. But than you're talking mucho money and a lot of time/research to develop your process and get good results from the cells without blowing them up.

John

EddieO 10-13-2004 12:17 PM

Of the last 3 cases of cells I ran through my turbomatchers, even the worse cells without zapping were 1.13, with most being in the 1.14-1.15 range...with some 1.16

The guys are right....a good zapper is pricey and has to be custom built my someone who knows what they are doing...A TM45 will run you $500 or so....and its a very time consuming process.

Later EddieO

Cole Trickle 10-13-2004 03:07 PM

Even the lowest spec'd batts from the wellknown matchers are auite good.

Another choise might be the Fukuyama Power Cube, where fukuyama have done all the initial process, including labelling them with their numbers....

Jon Williams 10-13-2004 03:26 PM

Let me echo the sentiments of everyone else here and say that it wouldn't be worth your while and you would be *very* disappointed.

I know it sounds like it may be an interesting idea, but as someone else stated virgin cells straight off the matcher are most often 1.14-1.15 with runtimes between 350-380 seconds. This of course all depends on the batch. Sometimes, you'll get cases which will be even worse on their first cycle: 1.12, 340.

I can't stress how crucial the whole process of zapping, enhancing and matching is on these cells. That's what separates matchers from each other--the process they use to further enhance the cell's performance.

Obviously, I'm a bit biased. :nod: