R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #106
Tech Elite

Default Timing mod

For those that are running blinky and have a motor with limited timing, the timing ring can be modified by removing 50% of the tab material as shown in the photo (indicated in black). Remove this material from all three tabs and you can achieve maximum timing. Bad pic, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Reedy Sonic-timing-mod-1.jpg  
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
I ran my 17.5 in blinky this saturday the exact same settings as I previuosly ran my D3 and it was slow.Same track I ran the D3 at 3.8FDR ended at 3.6FDR (2 pininon diff) with reedy and it still wasnt the same.
This past summer at the Roar Asphalt nationals I ran my 17.5 blinky Sonic motor at a 3.0 fdr with full timing (Which I don't recommend doing unless you have the correct settings and track) until I ended up getting caught up in an accident and bending the can. I ended up switching to a D3 and my fdr was around 3.2 so I could put more gear on sonic so you're more than likely off on gearing. Temp you're motor after a run and go up in gear if you have temp to spare. After you get the motor temp where you like gear by your lap times if you see you're falling off alot by the end of the race then go down in gear or down in timing.

These were just my experiences with the Sonic and D3 during the same day.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #108
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

still looking for a Reedy 17.5 if someone has one please pm.. thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #109
Tech Initiate

Hello.
What would be the good FDR to use, for a Reedy Sonic 10.5, TC, with stock ESC (Xerun V2.1 1S 120A) on an outdoor track (straight line around 80 meters)? Here is a vid of my F103 on this track http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7h3pz_run-f103_auto
Tamiya F103GT / Reedy Sonic 10.5 / HW V2.1 120A 1S
FG Sportline 2008 (Formule France package) / Zenoah G230RC
DaTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Picked up a 13.5 and the factory setting is right in the middle of the timing marks. Could anyone shed some light on wether or not -is zero and the other end is 35 with 5 degree increments?

thanks.. IF this is the case im assuming mine came set at 15/20degrees
Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
Picked up a 13.5 and the factory setting is right in the middle of the timing marks. Could anyone shed some light on wether or not -is zero and the other end is 35 with 5 degree increments?

If it's the version that just has the marks but no numbers, I believe the third notch for advance is around 40deg of timing. In the centre is 30deg (the default for almost every manufacturer.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Ok so at the far right near the negative is zero and the notches are 5 degree increments?

There are 8 notches total first one at negative being zero? Sorry just trying to clear it up. What is the min and Max timing available on this motor? From what I'm looking at I'm thinking 0 to 35 Max but your suggestion makes me think maybe the minimum is higher then zero
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ok so at the far right near the negative is zero and the notches are 5 degree increments?

There are 8 notches total first one at negative being zero? Sorry just trying to clear it up. What is the min and Max timing available on this motor? From what I'm looking at I'm thinking 0 to 35 Max but your suggestion makes me think maybe the minimum is higher then zero
Looks at the photo's in posts #71 & #72 here;
Reedy Sonic

Hopefully they'll show you what I mean.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #115
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

i dont know if it makes much diff but the pic with the timing marks that are numbered(post#71) is a pic of a 550 motor,you can just barely see 550 written under the reedy stamp on the side of can. 540 motors do not say 540 or 550 on the side of the can,atleast mine dont?
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #116
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

The motor you have came pre-set with 15 degrees of timing. Top line on the plus side will be 30 degrees, line on the opposite end of the range would equal zero.

This is the reason why we have decided to change the timing line so there is more clarity in how much timing you are running. The change from "boosted" to "blinky" has drastically effected the amount of static timing the motor needs.

Yes the photo was of the 550 motor but the newer 540s will have the same marks. The newest batch with the updated timing marks are working their way through the distribution chain now. Some might apeearing at hobby shops next week.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #117
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
For those that are running blinky and have a motor with limited timing, the timing ring can be modified by removing 50% of the tab material as shown in the photo (indicated in black). Remove this material from all three tabs and you can achieve maximum timing. Bad pic, sorry.
Dumb question, but how exactly is the material removed? From what I understand, you remove the sensor assembly and just sand off the material from the tabs to crank the timing past the maximum line to the middle of the screw? Thanks.
RC.Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #118
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC.Jon22 View Post
Dumb question, but how exactly is the material removed? From what I understand, you remove the sensor assembly and just sand off the material from the tabs to crank the timing past the maximum line to the middle of the screw? Thanks.
Something else to consider, is that even legal? I believe ROAR states that motors may not be modified to increase timing.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
I would add some more gear (say mid 5's FDR), and back off on the ESC a tad. I am finding this is what my motor likes in boost.
gave 5.6 a try with lest boost and earlier start rpm. Made a bigger difference in top end power. lacking low end acceleration. Ill play with the fdr a little more since I was missing a few pinions.

still got creeped on the straight... Hopefully a few more tweaks and I should be good to go.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC.Jon22 View Post
Exactly.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote