R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey all, running a sonic 17.5 in TC blinky and can't get close to the gearing you are discussing without getting some very high temps 175-180. Right now running the pointer centered on the screw and had to gear to a 4.26 FDR to get the temps in check. Motor feels good on the track but maybe lacking a bit on top, likely due to overly low gearing. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

back to the pictures of the endbell? How many clicks is each grading on the Reedy? Why is there a variation in both the pictures of the endbell of the motors? Are there 2 versions of the reedy motors?
KELVIN KHNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #78
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Hey all, running a sonic 17.5 in TC blinky and can't get close to the gearing you are discussing without getting some very high temps 175-180. Right now running the pointer centered on the screw and had to gear to a 4.26 FDR to get the temps in check. Motor feels good on the track but maybe lacking a bit on top, likely due to overly low gearing. Any ideas?

Thanks.
175 isn't too bad on temps. Try backing of a hair on timing and go to a 4.0 (you might actually tun cooler) . Don't be afraid of gearing up, the Sonics can push some gear. 3.6-3.8 is the butter zone at my local track for gear

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #79
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what temperatures do these motors handle? and with boost do they like running a low or high gearing?
I am trying a 13.5 this weekend and need some input
chovden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #80
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

let's see. (hopefully rick can confirm my findings/deductions below)

the motor pictured below (facebook) appears to be how they will do it going forward. no biggie. just implies that there is timing in the sensor board which was unaccounted for in the original scale (something that's been consistent across brands prior to the TP motor release). looks to be close to 30* which is also nothing new.

measuring - the center of the screw appears to be around 35* from zero (which is actually not a tick mark, but the center of the gap between + & -) on all the previously produced motors. so, at the popular screw location, we're running 65* (or so) of timing on an absolute scale (a.k.a. the new one).

chaz - didn't know you were blowing that thing up. i like gee's suggestion. force the gear and time to suit.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #81
Regional Moderator

Ran the 17.5 (blinky) with the endbell timing wicked up to the center of the screw, 3.8 FDR. Came off about 175 degrees. Left the gearing alone, but turned the endbell timing down to half way between the "middle" mark (no numbers markings), or 2 1/2 ticks. Temps around 155 degrees now (no fan).

More than one way to skin a cat, I guess.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #82
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
175 isn't too bad on temps. Try backing of a hair on timing and go to a 4.0 (you might actually tun cooler) . Don't be afraid of gearing up, the Sonics can push some gear. 3.6-3.8 is the butter zone at my local track for gear
Much appreciated. I will give that a try.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #83
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post

Thanks.
I have one of the motors that won't go past the screw. I have the timing maxed out at the beginning of the screw and run a 3.74 fdr. Temp runs about 120f with a fan. Drag brake will also create heat if you have alot set into the speedo.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #84
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
I have one of the motors that won't go past the screw. I have the timing maxed out at the beginning of the screw and run a 3.74 fdr. Temp runs about 120f with a fan. Drag brake will also create heat if you have alot set into the speedo.
Yeah, I think there is something going on just beyond the motor. If it were 5-10 degrees I'd chalk it up to normal variance between motors but others seem to easily be running high timing + higher gearing without the heat issues I've experienced. I'll pull the drivetrain apart and check again if there is any binding. If all else fails I'll start dropping timing and see what happens. I'd hate to burn it up because the motor response is really nice.

Good call on the drag brake, I'm sure it is a factor. Unfortunately, I can't make my turns without it.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Very helpful.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

sooo ive heard from a few different sources that thunder power stators drop right in can anyone confirm this? if this is true can i drop a thunder power 17.5 or 21.5 stator into a 13.5 can and expect no issues? thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #86
Tech Adept

Hi just picked up a Sonic 13.5 to run in Blinky (TC)

Can anyone advise me on gearing for a Medium fairly technical carpet track?

Thanks in advance
008-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #87
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielou View Post
Anyone have a setup for 17.5 boosted with tekin rs
I would like to know too... debating if either I should rebuild my D3 or just purchase the Sonic.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Comments for 1/12th – Reedy 13.5 boosted and LRP SXX stock spec v2 speedo

This is the first time I struggled with roll-out & motor timing as track layout changed and felt the car was not competitive … eventually went back to the LRP manual and set the speedo as close to the suggested settings for a non-LRP motor … 0 / 8 / 9 / 4 with timing on Reedy Sonic 13.5 2x clicks from max and roll-out of 66.2MM. Motor came to life and was equally as fast as top guys running the new LRP motors on the straight. At first, I made the mistake of following roll-out advice from guys running LRP motors whose roll-out was around 54MM.

Also, this time I was able to get the motor up to 158 degrees after 8 minutes. The motor continues to impress. After realizing how much different the performance from one motor manufacturer to another, my suggestion is you stick with one brand of motor manufacturer and speedo to learn what works for that combination. Switching back and forth will only make life more complicated.

Now a question for ASC … is there a measuring system (dyno) you would recommend to measure motor timing, efficiency, rpm, etc… (and they said moving away from brushed motors was going to level the playing field )
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #89
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Whats a good starting point for a sc10 blinky mode? Tracks very from. Say 90 to 125 ft. Straights. Outdoors. Usually hard pack with some dust .
drt_racer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
Now a question for ASC … is there a measuring system (dyno) you would recommend to measure motor timing, efficiency, rpm, etc… (and they said moving away from brushed motors was going to level the playing field )
I recommend your car/battery/track/temp gun as the dyno. Actual on track testing delivers the best results.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote