R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #616
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My Mach2 6.5 arrived today. It's easily the nicest looking motor I've ever seen. I love the bling with how all the edges were machined after it was anodized. Very well done sirs.

Now, will it make me good at modified?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #617
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornedn View Post
its already approved
The new part number is not on the roar approved list, only reedy sonic 941(for 17.5 for example) The mach 2 motors have different part numbers.
Are the mach 2 motors covered by the same ruling as the original reedy sonic motors?
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #618
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

See this this link to the new approvals section on Roars website

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/forumdisp...ec-17-5-Motors

Beth.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #619
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC10B4_Mafco

I pulled my Reedy Sonic 8.5 (not the Mach 2 version) apart to get rid of dirt, clean bearings etc. and I accidently didn't keep track of where the shims/spacers go. I put it back together the way I thought it should go and when I put it in my new B4.2 it made a screechy noise and I suspect it is the motor because I assembled it incorrectly. Does anybody have an exploded view of the motor (I have looked and cannot find one anywhere) or know where the shims/spacers go?
RC10B4_Mafco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #620
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Double post.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #621
Tech Elite

I was driving today and I pulled off after about 4 minutes because my car felt weird. I temped my motor and it was at 170. My motor usually runs at 155-160 max. It now feels like it has a lot of drag brake. Any ideas?

Reedy mach 2 4.5 orca vx x ray t4.

The whole setup has 20 packs at most through it. Drive train is very free and spins well without the motor attached.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #622
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10B4_Mafco View Post
I pulled my Reedy Sonic 8.5 (not the Mach 2 version) apart to get rid of dirt, clean bearings etc. and I accidently didn't keep track of where the shims/spacers go. I put it back together the way I thought it should go and when I put it in my new B4.2 it made a screechy noise and I suspect it is the motor because I assembled it incorrectly. Does anybody have an exploded view of the motor (I have looked and cannot find one anywhere) or know where the shims/spacers go?
Usually all the smaller (inside diameter) shims go on the sensor side of the rotor, and the larger (inside diameter) shim go on the pinion gear side.
How did you clean your bearings and did you re lubricate them? if a small amount of grit gets inside the bearing while cleaning it will make a noise when you put it back into the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g
I was driving today and I pulled off after about 4 minutes because my car felt weird. I temped my motor and it was at 170. My motor usually runs at 155-160 max. It now feels like it has a lot of drag brake. Any ideas?

Reedy mach 2 4.5 orca vx x ray t4.

The whole setup has 20 packs at most through it. Drive train is very free and spins well without the motor attached.
That could be a seized bearing in your motor, try turning the rotor while holding the motor in your hand, there will be some resistance due to the magnets but if it feels "tight" then it could be a bearing that's seized.

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #623
Tech Elite

I appreciate the help, the motor spins freely when held by the rotor or it appears to anyway.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #624
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
I appreciate the help, the motor spins freely when held by the rotor or it appears to anyway.
Ah ok. A thing that happened to mine was that on the larger bearing the metal shielding on one side collapsed and made the motor feel slower, but it also made a racket when the car was moving.
Not saying this could be the same thing, but just something to check just in case.

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #625
Tech Elite

Definitely something ill have to look into. What worries me is why would it all of a sudden come off so much hotter after running less than half the norm. Esc was the usual 115-125.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #626
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to microrcdude

Purchased and installed a 17.5 Mach 2 to replace a seemingly tired Orion 17.5. Not impressed, but figured I would post to see if anyone has suggestions.

With the motors geared the same, the reedy out of the box was dead slow, but was still reaching 125 degrees. Timing was at 20 degrees out of the box.

Tried turning timing to 30 degrees, and the temps stayed about the same, but car had more top end.

Geared down 2 teeth, turned timing up to 40, and car felt the same. Still feels very sluggish, motor gets hot (150 degrees), still slower then my old dead orion.

Can't really tell if I just got a bad motor out of the box or what? I know it's not the car, as I just swapped motors with what was already in the car. Gear mesh is not too tight, checked it before and after each run.

MayorRC.com
microrcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #627
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcdude View Post
Purchased and installed a 17.5 Mach 2 to replace a seemingly tired Orion 17.5. Not impressed, but figured I would post to see if anyone has suggestions.

With the motors geared the same, the reedy out of the box was dead slow, but was still reaching 125 degrees. Timing was at 20 degrees out of the box.

Tried turning timing to 30 degrees, and the temps stayed about the same, but car had more top end.

Geared down 2 teeth, turned timing up to 40, and car felt the same. Still feels very sluggish, motor gets hot (150 degrees), still slower then my old dead orion.

Can't really tell if I just got a bad motor out of the box or what? I know it's not the car, as I just swapped motors with what was already in the car. Gear mesh is not too tight, checked it before and after each run.
are you running boosted? What is your fdr? Track size?
Mornedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #628
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Can anyone make a comparison of this motor and the D3.5 17.5? I'm going to need something to swap places with my D3.5 if I hit some bigger events this summer.
J-3 Brushless Cub
platinumjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #629
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjason View Post
Can anyone make a comparison of this motor and the D3.5 17.5? I'm going to need something to swap places with my D3.5 if I hit some bigger events this summer.
In my opinion the reedy is a better motor anyway... I have mine going better than all the d3.5s in both classes I have run in the past year.
So as for comparison, the reedy is just as fast as a d3.5.
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #630
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjason View Post
the Reedy is bad!!! I got my mach2 17.5 and took it to the track yesterday. Motor smoked after only 3 runs. When temping it it was only temping at 80*
Mornedn is offline   Reply With Quote