Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Reedy Sonic

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Got my Mach 2 today. Apparently, uses the same rotor as the regular sonic (same part number etched on rotor). Also, the mach 2 weighs about 2 grams more than the regular sonic. Enjoy the pictures!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So is the Mach2 ROAR approved out of the gate since it uses the same stator/rotor/etc? Basically the same motor as the original Sonic, just with tweaks to the can/bearings?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
So is the Mach2 ROAR approved out of the gate since it uses the same stator/rotor/etc? Basically the same motor as the original Sonic, just with tweaks to the can/bearings?
It is not on the list as of right now.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hi there guys, with the rotors for the stock motors, is there a high torque or a high rpm?
Cheers Scott.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Saw my first Sonic let the smoke out yesterday. In 21.5 no timing none the less. Mine have been running strong
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

I ran my new CRC Xti for the first time yesterday. 13.5 on 1s blinky, 36/80 gearing. Yes I was undergeared, it was supposed to just be a shakedown day.

First run, no timing anywhere, the car was actually faster than I thought it would be on our tight track. After 20+ minutes the motor never even reached a noticeable temperature change. (using the hold-it-in-your-fingers method)

Second run, half the static timing available on the motor, still blinky mode. Only ran for about ten minutes, car was a bit faster, still barely any temperature increase. Pulled the car in to advance to full static timing.

Third run, full static timing, no ESC timing or boost. Car was now coming alive nicely, handling better with more speed. After ten minutes the motor was barely warm.

Ran it this way for several charge cycles (6200 mAh battery) and when I got a good lap I was running with the fast guys who were there. The motor was never more than barely warm, and neither was the ESC.

Later in the day I decided to see what all the fuss was about ESC timing and boost as I am essentially new to brushless motors. Well fack me! Everything maxed out, the car was stupid fast. Rear tires were losing traction on acceleration on the old worn out carpet and I really could not control that much speed, not at the level I'm currently at anyway. Did my best to run it for at least five minutes to see how hot the motor would be. Well it had some heat in it now but I could still hold it in my fingers without letting it go. (and it wasn't uncomfortably warm) I understand I was severely undergeared (if I was running blinky let's say) but realistically I couldn't use all the speed it was giving me anyway so under the circumstances I saw no need to gear it up.

All in all, I really like this motor. It loves timing and ran cool all day for me. It lets me run at a decent practice pace and still has a lot of speed that I can tap into if I want. Also, I read about some of the strange noises others have reported from the motor but I never heard peep from it. My car was extremely quiet on the track.

Sean
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can't wait to try this thing out tomorrow!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all,

I'm having a pull my hair out moment here with my Reedy motor.
I pulled my motor apart to clean the insides, now I didn't use any solvents or sprays I just gave it a light brushing with a soft brush.
When I pulled the motor apart I noted each part and where they were and placed them all down on a soft clean surface.
Then it cam time to rebuild it, I put everything back carefully making sure not to exert too much force on any part. At the completion of building the motor now makes a horrible "rattling" noise which seems to be coming from the plastic endbell cover. Thinking I had missed something or put it together wrong I disassembled the motor again and put it together carefully and ended up with the same result.

Things I have done to make sure it wasn't one component causing this.
checked both bearings - near new ceramic, spin freely and no noise
Tried building the motor back up different ways in case there was a particular way to re build them.
But none of this worked, before I took the motor apart there was no noise at all. I've taken apart other motors (Hobbywing, Tekin, Trinity) and had no problems when putting them back together, so I'm confident in my ability to take things apart and put them back together again without issues.

So I'm at a loss here and wondering is there something I have missed or overlooked, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Has this been confirmed? Same stator and rotor as the original sonic?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

I have done the same thing, but when I tighten all the can screws and sensor cover screw no more noise. Check also that the shim did slip of the shaft when you were putting rotor into the can.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Donn
I have done the same thing, but when I tighten all the can screws and sensor cover screw no more noise. Check also that the shim did slip of the shaft when you were putting rotor into the can.
When I tighten all the screws up the noise is still there, including the ones on the plastic end bell timing cover. The only shim on the rotor was one on the smaller bearing end and I have made sure that shim doesn't slip off when assembling.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default Shims

No Sonic expert here, but I do have 4, and all came with some pinion-side shims.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by B00t13g

Can't wait to try this thing out tomorrow!
how did it go? Any fdr suggestions for outdoor?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Anybody install a 13mm rotor in a 17.5t?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

who has these mach 2's in stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.