R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #286
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,655
Default

Any news on when Reedy will sell stators separately?
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #287
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

.
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #288
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
The motor you have came pre-set with 15 degrees of timing. Top line on the plus side will be 30 degrees, line on the opposite end of the range would equal zero.
Sean, would you mind sharing the setup you ran @ the Carpet Nats for 17.5 12th?

Timing/rollout/rotor?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #289
Tech Adept
 
Dread Pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OC/RC Raceway
Posts: 241
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Cleaning the motor, when putting it back together I'm wondering where the white insulator goes. Does it go on the back of the can (that's where I thought it came from) or between the solder tabs and the timing ring?

The timing ring is aluminum and looks like it would short out the outside solder tabs, but that insulator doesn't look like it would solve that problem either.

I looked at the motor manual but it doesn't have an exploded diagram; anybody know a link?

Thanks
__________________
"We face each other as God intended. Sportsman-like. No tricks, skill against skill alone." -Fezzik
Dread Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #290
Super Moderator
 
Slo_E4's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 1,123
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

I cleaned mine a few weeks ago and snapped pics just in case I forgot something. It was not cleaned yet in the pic. Here you go.
__________________
.
Slo_E4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #291
AE-Reedy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Sean, would you mind sharing the setup you ran @ the Carpet Nats for 17.5 12th?

Timing/rollout/rotor?
TC
Reedy Sonic 17.5t used standard rotor, 12.5mm
36 degrees timing, 3.84 gearing

12th
Reedy Sonic 17.5t used 954 rotor, 12.3x 24.2
36 degrees timing, 104.5mm rollout

Paul Ciccarelo
Ran a Reedy also to TQ, finish 2nd.
He ran with a standard rotor, more timing and a little less gear.

I felt like Paul was maybe a little faster than me the first minute, maybe two but after that I felt I was better than him. No imperical proof just gut feeling but I think with 1s the smaller rotor is more consistent through the 8 minute runs. But it does show both set ups run well.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #292
Tech Master
 
chicky03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Sean, would you mind sharing the setup you ran @ the Carpet Nats for 17.5 12th?

Timing/rollout/rotor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
TC
Reedy Sonic 17.5t used standard rotor, 12.5mm
36 degrees timing, 3.84 gearing

12th
Reedy Sonic 17.5t used 954 rotor, 12.3x 24.2
36 degrees timing, 104.5mm rollout

Paul Ciccarelo
Ran a Reedy also to TQ, finish 2nd.
He ran with a standard rotor, more timing and a little less gear.

I felt like Paul was maybe a little faster than me the first minute, maybe two but after that I felt I was better than him. No imperical proof just gut feeling but I think with 1s the smaller rotor is more consistent through the 8 minute runs. But it does show both set ups run well.
I was really happy with the motor, I had no prior testing to the race, i just took Masterhit's advice and went with that. That shows you how good the motor really is!!!! I ran 40 deg timing, stock rotor, 1.63 rear tires and 58/72 gearing. For the last main wil went to 38 deg timing with a 60 but I don't know how it would have finished as my king pin clip came out and my car was dragging on the track the last half of the race, so my laps don't mean much there.
__________________
Serpent America, Picco, Desoto Racing, Motiv, J Concepts, Nitro Pro fuel, PT RC Racing Oils, TQ Wire(best wire ever!), BSR tires, Arrowmax, Xceed, Sanwa, Amain Hobbies, MIP, Getcustomized, EZ Customs
chicky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #293
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 329
Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
I was really happy with the motor, I had no prior testing to the race, i just took Masterhit's advice and went with that. That shows you how good the motor really is!!!! I ran 40 deg timing, stock rotor, 1.63 rear tires and 58/72 gearing. For the last main wil went to 38 deg timing with a 60 but I don't know how it would have finished as my king pin clip came out and my car was dragging on the track the last half of the race, so my laps don't mean much there.
were these settings for 17.5 blinky or boosted ? thanks
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #294
AE-Reedy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
were these settings for 17.5 blinky or boosted ? thanks
Blinky class, hopefully boost is dead.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #295
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Sean/Paul, thank you very much for the rollout info. It is very helpful.

I know neither of you were running WGT @ Nats, but I did see a number of Reedy Sonics in that class. Do you have a rollout/timing starting point for 13.5 non-timing WGT?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #296
AE-Reedy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Sean/Paul, thank you very much for the rollout info. It is very helpful.

I know neither of you were running WGT @ Nats, but I did see a number of Reedy Sonics in that class. Do you have a rollout/timing starting point for 13.5 non-timing WGT?
I could be wrong, but this would be my starting point for WGT.
13.5t with standard rotor, 12.5mm, 36 degrees timing, 83mm roll-out.
The roll out is a total guess so I would probably run a couple minutes then stop to check the motor temp.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #297
AE-Reedy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Any news on when Reedy will sell stators separately?
We do not have a date but we are looking into offering some stators.
We would probably start by offering a 17.5t stator as it is by far the most popular. Which wind are you looking for?

Just out of curiosity, why do you want replacement stators?
Repair burned up motors, or some other reason?
Trying to gauge how popular these might be.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #298
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
We do not have a date but we are looking into offering some stators.
We would probably start by offering a 17.5t stator as it is by far the most popular. Which wind are you looking for?

Just out of curiosity, why do you want replacement stators?
Repair burned up motors, or some other reason?
Trying to gauge how popular these might be.
I have a few of that "other" motor that looks alot like the sonic, and you can easily reconfigure it for different classes, say 21.5 for F1, or 13.5, etc at 1/3rd the cost of a motor, its good for classes you only run on occasion. I also tend to burn out 17.5 stators 2-3 times more than I see a rotor getting weak.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #299
Tech Elite
 
olhipster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asgard
Posts: 3,980
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post

Just out of curiosity, why do you want replacement stators?
Repair burned up motors, or some other reason?
Trying to gauge how popular these might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I have a few of that "other" motor that looks alot like the sonic, and you can easily reconfigure it for different classes, say 21.5 for F1, or 13.5, etc at 1/3rd the cost of a motor, its good for classes you only run on occasion. I also tend to burn out 17.5 stators 2-3 times more than I see a rotor getting weak.
Agree.. with Mike
from what i've seen...most stators are from smoked up 17.5...a reason the other brand motor is popular is the ability to rebuild.
and changing the stator for those every now and then classes leads to big incentive to stick with Reedy.
__________________
everything is Cause and effect
every Action has a reaction.
"I drank too much wine - I must take a p!ss"
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #300
AE-Reedy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1 View Post
Agree.. with Mike
from what i've seen...most stators are from smoked up 17.5...a reason the other brand motor is popular is the ability to rebuild.
and changing the stator for those every now and then classes leads to big incentive to stick with Reedy.
We are for sure going to release a 17.5t stator. Other winds is undecided at this moment. It will probably depend on demand if we would sell other stators.

One problem I see with stator swapping in the Sonic is that each "can" is engraved with the wind. So if you have 13.5t and then you put in a 21.5t wind, the motor still says it's a 13.5t on the outside.

Look for the 17.5t stators in May, just guessing right now.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:42 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net