R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey
Default novak tc2

hi guys...i use a novak tc2 in my 12th and today i stripped it down and rebuilt it (the 12th) and i rewired it all to make it a bit neater.

anyway, when i plugged it in to test it etc, switched transmitter on and the car and revved the motor a tad, well as soon as i did this, smoke came pilling out of the esc followed by my motor going crazy and the esc getting red hot.

so obviously i unplugged it and it smelt a bit dodgey...in the instructions it tells you YOU HAVE TO use a power cap and i had one on and it was wired correctly...there were no short circuits or anything...all wired correctly.

so have you peeps got any ideas onw hat it could be? i have a spare esc that was gonna go on ebay but i don't think it is anymore so looks like i will be using that...but have you got any ideas on what the problem could be?

saying this, it is exactly what happened to my gt7 about 6 month ago
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

I have also had this problem.
any ideas?
MO3 TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
Tech Elite

You probably have to reprogram it. If that's not it, then send it to Novak. I've had the same problem, and that's what I ended up having to do. Smoke is not a good sign though.
RC Car Action Editor and Photographer
Carl Hyndman
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Clean out your esc (wich ever brand it is) on a regular basis. Even if the housing appears to be closed it still lets in sand and dust. Some sand particles will conduct electricity and thus may cause dammage to the electronics.

Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
Tech Master

Well, there is nothing that taking an ESC out and putting it back in will do to damage it. But I've met and seen countless occasions of things being connected wrong. Not the wires to the battery and motor, but the wires to the ESC. I'm sure you blood is already boiling at me even bringing that up, but it's the truth, it happens all the time with pros and beginners alike. Even I have wired an ESC wrong in my days in R/C. It's seems to be very very common to mix up the negative wires for some reason. Not sure why, everything has always been label. I'm not saying that's the case here, I'm just providing information.

You can find complete product return information with pricing in the Customer Service Section of www.teamnovak.com

Novak Electronics Tech Support
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote