GEAR diff or BALL diff ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default GEAR diff or BALL diff ?

GEAR diff or BALL diff ?
Which one is better ?
Under what conditions is one better or worse then the other ?

I've heard so many conflicting onions at the track last couple weeks...
"They finally figured out Gear diffs now, and all the pros use them"
"Ball diffs are less drag , you only want to use Gear diffs on carpet with mod motor"

I'm so confused....
Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Seems like preference to me...I like 2 gear diffs, but that may be the way I drive. I have had a fast guy tell me he's always faster with a spool and ball diff, but he said he's driving hard enough to pick tires up and the gear diffs unload on him. At the same time, one of the local fast guy's car looks like a 1/12 on rubber tires on asphalt and he has 2 gear diffs. ??????

You might just have to try it and see if you like it.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

I do prefer the way my car drives with a ball diff but it only last a few races before it feels rough, probably the way I build/run it so I use a gear diff just because it's pretty much maintenance free.

If I could build a ball diff well that lasts I'd use that
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

I like the feel of a gear diff in the front, it's possible to adjust the viscosity of the oil which is impossible with a spool :P Try it out, everyone say different about what's the best choice
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

For me, a geardiff in the front have always been slower so far. The car is a lot easier to drive, and can hide poor handling. With my previous Xray, I made a (quite big) mistake during a routine clean of the car, making the handling very uneven. I couldn't feel a thing with the geardiff in the front, but when I tried putting in the spool again, I could immediately feel that something was wrong.

The next couple of days I will spent on testing the geardiff in the front on asphalt. All my tests so far have been on carpet.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Charles, testing at CAL, with less traction conditions, the gear diffs had less rear traction than the ball diffs did. It seems the gear diff marvel at high traction situations like carpet, but less grip tracks like P-Lot tracks, the ball diffs work much better in our testing.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Charles, testing at CAL, with less traction conditions, the gear diffs had less rear traction than the ball diffs did. It seems the gear diff marvel at high traction situations like carpet, but less grip tracks like P-Lot tracks, the ball diffs work much better in our testing.
So basically there is no advantage using a Gear diff on most asphalt surfaces... except maybe to make the car easier to drive , but not faster...
Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lightfoot
So basically there is no advantage using a Gear diff on most asphalt surfaces... except maybe to make the car easier to drive , but not faster...
My feeling is that a gear diff in the back gives you more on power steering on high traction surfaces. On low traction the car can be loose or light up the inside wheel.

At the RROC this year the biggest single improvement I made to my car was installing a gear diff in the front. I used cleaning putty so it was very tight which I don't think you could duplicate with fluid. Hebert, Levanen and I used this setup. Not only was the car easier to drive, but it was faster. This took me from a guy just off the pace to a contender.

FYI easier to drive makes you faster even if the lap times are not faster. Fewer mistakes will be made and your overall time will improve.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Let's not forget a gear diff can be tuned using different oil weight.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Geardiff for sure...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

well I'm not sure it faster ,but it is quicker than the ball diff because the gear diff doesn't slip

I ran with the gear diff in the front and sure make it's easy to drive but not faster than spool ..Some how the spool can break down the speed into the corner better than gear diff...( unless you put puddy in the front gear diff..)

I vote for Gear in the rear only..my 02 cent
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lightfoot
There are definitely an advantages Charles. For one, you get much better turn in with a gear diff up front. You couldn't do that too easily with a Spool set up. And tuning plays a factor as well with the different oils, etc. Again, the disadvantage to the gear diff is running in less traction situations where you just can't STAB the throttle with our spinning out. It is different for everyone..i like running a gear diff up front but not in the rear. Reinhardt ran DOUBLE diffs at the Reedy race..but then again...he can run double spool and still lap me.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

..he can run double spool and still lap me.[/QUOTE]

that's funny....
Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
At the RROC this year the biggest single improvement I made to my car was installing a gear diff in the front. I used cleaning putty so it was very tight which I don't think you could duplicate with fluid.
Can you give some details about what cleaning putty is and where I might be able to find some. I'm pretty dirty and might be able to use some cleaning putty. Seriously, I would love to try some in my diff.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bshookup
Can you give some details about what cleaning putty is and where I might be able to find some. I'm pretty dirty and might be able to use some cleaning putty. Seriously, I would love to try some in my diff.
This is the stuff he means and you can buy them at Kamikaze Hobbies.

KAMIKAZE HOBBIES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.