front motor car

Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Default front motor car

can u race a front motor car.R2 is selling it for 79.00 but it's for drifting but i would like to make it a onroad car
Attached Thumbnails front motor car-01.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosco72
can u race a front motor car.R2 is selling it for 79.00 but it's for drifting but i would like to make it a onroad car

The short answer is yes, you could race it. There's nothing in the rules prohibiting it. The real answer is that it probably would not be a competitive car.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
The short answer is yes, you could race it. There's nothing in the rules prohibiting it. The real answer is that it probably would not be a competitive car.
....and to add to this, for $30 more you can have a competitive car from 3 Racing called the Sakura Zero S. See HKS Hobby's website. This is of similar quality to the R2, but this has a million upgrade parts available and they're all quite inexpensive!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Back in the 80's, Nichimo made some offroad buggies that were FWD. There are a lot of challenges for a FWD platform, especially offroad. There's not enough weight to really allow the front tires to grab; and when they do, the rear end tends to fish-tail all over the place. I've seen some guy's video of his Spirit FF in action and while it spun the fronts and sprayed dirt & gravel everywhere, it didn't really GET anywhere very efficiently.

I would assume an onroad FWD chassis would be at least a bit more effective but perhaps not enough to make it compelling performance-wise.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Sakura Zero S i just looked at nice car.But the hopups are pink Do they make any other colors.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

You can race just about anything you want so long as it fits within the rules of what a TC is. Its all up to you as far as your ability to setup the car and your ability to drive the car.

However, some cars make that an easy task and some cars will make that a difficult one. If you're new to the hobby its best you work with a local hobby shop that can help you get started.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks everybody
Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coelacanth
Back in the 80's, Nichimo made some offroad buggies that were FWD. There are a lot of challenges for a FWD platform, especially offroad. There's not enough weight to really allow the front tires to grab; and when they do, the rear end tends to fish-tail all over the place. I've seen some guy's video of his Spirit FF in action and while it spun the fronts and sprayed dirt & gravel everywhere, it didn't really GET anywhere very efficiently.

I would assume an onroad FWD chassis would be at least a bit more effective but perhaps not enough to make it compelling performance-wise.
The chassis he posted is front motor, but all wheel drive, not front wheel drive.

Sakura Zero S i just looked at nice car.But the hopups are pink Do they make any other colors.
No. Pink is the Sakura Zero color.

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
You can race just about anything you want so long as it fits within the rules of what a TC is. Its all up to you as far as your ability to setup the car and your ability to drive the car.

However, some cars make that an easy task and some cars will make that a difficult one. If you're new to the hobby its best you work with a local hobby shop that can help you get started.
Yep, you could race a 2x4 with bottle caps for wheels, if they allowed it, but you aren't going to do very well with it.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the sakura zero s is way better quality than what r2 is selling.
does not take much to make it competitive.
yea it has some pink parts,but there more a purple/pink,that sort of grows on you,but with a body on you dont see it any way.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ozzy-crawl
the sakura zero s is way better quality than what r2 is selling.
does not take much to make it competitive.
yea it has some pink parts,but there more a purple/pink,that sort of grows on you,but with a body on you dont see it any way.
+1
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by locked
The chassis he posted is front motor, but all wheel drive, not front wheel drive.
Which is the same configuration as the TA-03F which David Jun won a ROAR TC National with, so it can't be that bad.

Although, the TA-03F had the motor in front of the front wheels, this has the motor behind the front wheels, in the same place as the Losi Street Weapon, which also won a stack of titles (although it was never very popular, used to be called the Shelf Weapon). There were a number of mid-mounted motor cars in the early 2000s as well (motor directly in the centre of the chassis), there's not that much difference between this configuration and that one.

Edit: Looking more closely, this car may not be legal for the ISTC class, because of the aero work on the chassis:

Originally Posted by IFMAR Rule Book
6.2.5 The chassis must not be shaped to gain an aerodynamic advantage. In principle, the underside of the chassis must be flat and parallel to the ground along the entire length of the body shell. Aerodynamic shaped parts (splitters/diffusers/tunnels/etc.) may not be fitted to the chassis.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

The street weapon was a really nice car to drive, until you had belt problems...

I regret have sold mine many years ago.

The Sakura is defenitely a good inexpensive car to look at when you start racing, and you can update it as your wallet permits.

Do not expect to be on par with a cheap Chinese copy of a TC car, and think that you need to find parts easily.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by olly986
The street weapon was a really nice car to drive, until you had belt problems...

I regret have sold mine many years ago.
I still race a XX-4 (original) which is the offroad car the Street Weapon was based on. I rarely have any belt issues because it is fully enclosed and I'm only driving Stock (17.5 non-boosted) with it, but changing the Spur gear is a total pain. It's still a fantastic car though, it jumps and handles as well as any modern car.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This car is a very specialized Drift,it has counter steering front suspension so it would make a very bad touring car. It is a great Drift car but it will never handle like a touring car. The front wheels actually go over center. Also drift cars of this level are not worried about hitting anything as Drift cars are really slow.Below is a different car with the same idea. Best to look at a different car.
Attached Thumbnails front motor car-3868-lbl_3.jpg  
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This cars design is very interesting, 3 belts, motor and batteries in the centerline of the chassis, the fundamental design is good, but i doubt it will perform well becuase its too plasticky. The chassis, shock towers are all plastic. not to mention the suspension upper links which are negative ly inclined, the inner points are higher than the outer points..good for drift but bad for touring. i have no doubt this could be a good car with a graphite chassis, graphite shock towers and better suspension.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.