Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

Best and strongest cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why bother soldering to the esc? I have mine plugged into the reciever and it works fine. Just make sure you get a good fan, I tried 2 different fans from Yeah Racing, one came with a heatsink and didn't lower motor temp that much but when I switched to a Tornado it lowered temps by over 20 degrees.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

my windy works great with the yeah racing mount.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcja
Why bother soldering to the esc? I have mine plugged into the reciever and it works fine. Just make sure you get a good fan, I tried 2 different fans from Yeah Racing, one came with a heatsink and didn't lower motor temp that much but when I switched to a Tornado it lowered temps by over 20 degrees.
Because it gives a higher voltage, and therefore spins faster. Plugging into the receiver runs it at BEC voltage, usually around 6V.
massenb203 likes this.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Directly to ESC as long as it's designed to take the voltage.
Using a ORCA VX3 & Hobbywing V3.1 120amp.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rline
Using a ORCA VX3 & Hobbywing V3.1 120amp.
The fan/programming port on the Hobbywing V3.1 120A is at battery voltage, so just plug your fan directly in there. It's a bit easier than soldering.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:46 AM
Tech Initiate

The fan/programming port on the Hobbywing V3.1 120A is at battery voltage, so just plug your fan directly in there. It's a bit easier than soldering.
isn't the Programming port 6v output?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Always better to wire to the battery +/- terminal. A stuck fan can short out your ESC..
Old 04-06-2017, 04:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

In the past i used the MM fan mount with a 40mm WTF fan.
Switched now to the TECHRA fan Mount with a WTF WINDY and just can say WOW! A huge Differenz. I run my electronics on 7.4V BEC.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rline
isn't the Programming port 6v output?
It depends on the ESC, but the Hobbywing V3.1 120A is at battery voltage. I've got one and I've verified with my multimeter.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Been running the same R1 fans on both cars (17.5 TC & 21.5 GT) for the last couple of years....year round, with summer time ambient temps hitting 110+ and they work great. have tried several brands like Muchmore, WTF and Yeah Racing and the R1 Wurks fans are by far the best of the ones I've tried.

Recently bought new fans for my Hobbywing V3.1 ESCs and went with the 25mm McClan, at 22,000 RPM and mounted on ball bearings they move some serious air. When my R1's finally give up the ghost I plan to buy the 30mm McClan fans as replacements since they too are mounted with ball bearings and have a high RPM output.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Always better to wire to the battery +/- terminal. A stuck fan can short out your ESC..
Bingo.

A fan creates some fairly dirty signals within the esc as well. Always better to isolate the fans when possible.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 AM
Tech Regular

Ehm, guys? Now I may suggest something really stupid, but I am going to anyway. At our club we run a 10.5T motors and we change the timing until it runs very fast and way too hot. So, we add fans to the motor, some so many I fear the car will levitate. Now all this modifying does mean the cars run fast, moving through the air quickly. Hey... Has anyone tried to open the grill hole in the front of the body, make (3D print, maybe) a nice duct and lead the incoming air to the motor? I know this might require opening the rear a little more to let the air out again, but do you think / know it will work? Requiring no fans, no power taken from the battery? Maybe only a heat sink on the motor? Or a hole in the wind screen if we want to keep the front in tact for grip.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 05-17-2017, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HugoW
Ehm, guys? Now I may suggest something really stupid, but I am going to anyway. At our club we run a 10.5T motors and we change the timing until it runs very fast and way too hot. So, we add fans to the motor, some so many I fear the car will levitate. Now all this modifying does mean the cars run fast, moving through the air quickly. Hey... Has anyone tried to open the grill hole in the front of the body, make (3D print, maybe) a nice duct and lead the incoming air to the motor? I know this might require opening the rear a little more to let the air out again, but do you think / know it will work? Requiring no fans, no power taken from the battery? Maybe only a heat sink on the motor?

Cheers,

Hugo
Most rule sets ban adding any additional holes.
There is also the issue that by opening the front of the body you are going to help ruin the bodies handling as the air no longer flows correctly over the front.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by HugoW
Ehm, guys? Now I may suggest something really stupid, but I am going to anyway. At our club we run a 10.5T motors and we change the timing until it runs very fast and way too hot. So, we add fans to the motor, some so many I fear the car will levitate. Now all this modifying does mean the cars run fast, moving through the air quickly. Hey... Has anyone tried to open the grill hole in the front of the body, make (3D print, maybe) a nice duct and lead the incoming air to the motor? I know this might require opening the rear a little more to let the air out again, but do you think / know it will work? Requiring no fans, no power taken from the battery? Maybe only a heat sink on the motor? Or a hole in the wind screen if we want to keep the front in tact for grip.

Cheers,

Hugo
I've seen it done, back before doing this was banned in most rulesets.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Tech Regular

Ah, OK, my club rules don't state that but I understand what you mean on the air flow. However, the MacLan fans for instance take 0,5A which is considerable. I think that will influence voltage and voltage drop during the heat, which both will have negative influence on the overall heat performance. I might add solar panels to the car's roof to power the fan. Oh, wait, in the Netherlands we don't have sun shine. Bummer... Still I think we should to something with air flow.

Hugo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.