Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Are you ready for this???? >

Are you ready for this????

Are you ready for this????

Old 10-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default privileged info!

The first mold is made out of hydrocal It's like Plaster Paris but a much finer grit. the problem is with this or plaster gives you a real fine dust and I had to invest in 2 big machines to collect it. It's so fine that it just clogs dust collecting machines even doing hand sanding you will fill the room so you have to wear a respirator. then a mold is made out of fiber glass type resin then I use a aluminum sprayer that coats the mold so it can handle the high temperatures they get when molding them. then it goes threw a finishing process so it can be formed . Thermoforming is a complicated process and takes years to learn so if you know someone who has one it will be very helpful. I get asked a lot if the home made vacuum formers can do a car and the answer is no but a guy could build one but it's not cheap do to the ovens and vacuum that is required,Example the best shopvacs you can buy will produce aprox. 7 lbs of vacuum the vacuum required to do a car is min of 23 pounds and be able to evacuate 80 lbs tanks and these pumps start at around $3500.00
Attached Thumbnails Are you ready for this????-rc-car-stuff-086.jpg  
Old 10-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: privileged info!

Originally posted by HELLION
The first mold is made out of ...sensored...sensored...sensored$3500.00

wow.... you should only send him PM instead... you cant exposed your trade secret man!!!!! now everybody in rctech knows.... unless you delete your previous post!!!

LOL...

by the way.... the latest picture in that attachment.... DH2?

mop
Old 10-25-2004, 01:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

that is more like it.............very cool [dh2]
Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the info. For me, the easy part is the vacuum forming. I know some people who are very skilled in that part, but have never done an rc body. Now I just need to make a mold....
Old 10-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default secrets!!!

Mop man the car mold in the picture is another car I'm working on the D/H-2 Is real close to the D/H-1 but it's a 190 . I try to help any one that asks me. Making RC bodies takes a lot of time and patients it's a lot harder then it looks. The only thing I won't do is show pictures of my new wind tunnel It's the one thing that gives me a big edge.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

where can i get a da hellion body shell and how much is it
Old 10-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default HK

HK I don't quite have the D/H-2 190mm done yet. I have D/H-1 200mm but they are a little wide for electric cars. The 190mm is going out this week for testing and if it does well they will be ready to go in two weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Are you ready for this????-imga3348.jpg  
Old 10-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: privileged info!

Originally posted by HELLION
The first mold is made out of hydrocal It's like Plaster Paris but a much finer grit. the problem is with this or plaster gives you a real fine dust and I had to invest in 2 big machines to collect it. It's so fine that it just clogs dust collecting machines even doing hand sanding you will fill the room so you have to wear a respirator. then a mold is made out of fiber glass type resin then I use a aluminum sprayer that coats the mold so it can handle the high temperatures they get when molding them. then it goes threw a finishing process so it can be formed . Thermoforming is a complicated process and takes years to learn so if you know someone who has one it will be very helpful. I get asked a lot if the home made vacuum formers can do a car and the answer is no but a guy could build one but it's not cheap do to the ovens and vacuum that is required,Example the best shopvacs you can buy will produce aprox. 7 lbs of vacuum the vacuum required to do a car is min of 23 pounds and be able to evacuate 80 lbs tanks and these pumps start at around $3500.00
I wouldn't think that you would need a massive pump like that. A pump like that would pull down way below what is needed to pull a body. There are other more cost effective options if you only need at pull down 23psi and only one body at a time. The massive pumps that are $3000+ will pull down 30+psi and that is crazy. PM me if you want some more info.

Just my .02, and good luck with the project. Sometimes it is cool to see what people other than major manufacturers come up with.

Tim
Old 10-26-2004, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Pump

Well one problem I have to deal with is I live at high altitude so 23-27 is the best I'm going to get but when I did them in California we still needed the big wet vain pumps. If it cant pull atleast 20 pounds you have to get the lexan hotter when its formed and that causes the Lexan to stretch on the sides not to mention webbing. One of my machines pulls 15 LBS and It's night and day compared to using my big one as far as car bodies but It works good for wings and smaller parts and It's not as much about pulling power but also it has to be abel to evacuate the large tanks and thats where the pulling power comes from. When I'm forming a car body I normally leave the pump off. Think of it as a backwards air compressor. If you had a 2oo gallon tank and the pump was to small it would have to big of duty cycle and would never get the job done and that's why the bigger tank you use the bigger the compressor has to be. sorry about the spelling but it's 5 in the morning
Old 10-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Hellion,
Still waiting for the new 190. Any release date info? Send me an invoice I am ready to give it a shot. I have tried almost every top body and I wan tot give yours the same respect and put it through its paces.

Thanks,
Stephen <><
Old 10-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Very soon

Two 190 bodies are going out this week for a review and if it does what I think it will then I just have to cut the detail lines in it and it will be ready. One of my friends tryed one and told me he loved it but I wanted someone that didn't know me just to make sure. That said one of the tests they are going to do is see if my body turns faster times then the ones they use and guys this is important to me so I can't release them untill I see the results The D/H -1 can do this and I think if you make a claim about your body turning faster times then others you better back it up!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Grr... stop teasing. Need one now!

Way mo' betta' than the usual crap being churned out now. Sorry, I'm not a big fan dodge and mazda street cars.

Must have body soon....
Old 10-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Congrats on coming out with your own body! That's great, but hopefully you're not trying to get it approved for a TOURING car SEDAN class, that's not great... It looks nothing like a touring car raced in the BTCC, DTM, Australian V8 or any other TC series that the class has been based on. Nor is it a sedan. At least it doesn't look like one. Maybe it could be used for a Trans-Am class or something.

There is nothing wrong with coming out with a show car body and for that this one is perfect. It looks great, but for an actual touring car class.... I'm not too sure....
Old 10-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Default last day dude... for the logo competition!

LAST DAY .... email those logos to hellion....now!
hie email is [email protected]

there will be 1-2 day cooling period to compile all logos and put them in a POLLING STATION. Cooling Period starts from 28th OCT....

mop
Old 10-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default too funny

Very well put KK I agree I hate putting 4 doors on a race car!!!And KK it is based on a Dodge stratis with a few minor mods and a lot of them are racing in the sedan classes and I'm going to try to get it approved which is why I had to put 4 doors on it but like you said I don't know if they will or not pass it but if not then I'll build some that do.
Attached Thumbnails Are you ready for this????-imga4395.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.