R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This thread is in response to the MANY Sponsorship inquiries I receive every week, and is intended to help racers know how to properly approach a company for help.

As an RC Industry Manufacturer who does have a racing team of sponsored drivers, here is my advice to those of you wanting to be sponsored:
-Definitely write a resume if you want to be considered for sponsorship. Include race results, classes raced, and current equipment. Include RC Industry references, and current sponsors if any.

-Do Not send sponsor requests to companies who manufacture products you have never used! I personally WILL NEVER sponsor someone who has never purchased my products. If you do not think my products are worth paying full price for, why would I consider selling to you at a discounted "sponsored" rate? I want my team drivers to feel that with my products, they have the best equipment available, and they have all the tools needed to succeed. Only send resumes to companies whose products you 100% believe in. You will not be a good company representative if you do not believe in the products you race.

-Tell me about your yourself: Name, age, hometown, local track, career, education, etc. This is very important at helping me learn about who you are and how you will represent my company. If you are in school, I will contact your parents prior to sponsoring you, and make a pact with them and you that you must maintain a 3.0 GPA to be a member of the team. If your grades are not there, then you need to reassess your priorities. Education is extremely important in our society.

-Not only do I want guys that win races, I want great product representatives, who will go above and beyond to help all racers, and can promote my products well, without bashing any other brands. I want guys that show maturity and sportsmanship at all times. Team drivers need to lead by example.

-I sponsor up and comers, and veterans, fast guys and nice guys. It is not all about winning, but race wins on your resume do not hurt! Do not tell me about your 4th place finishes at a club race, I would rather hear about a B-Main run at a regional.... If you can win at the club level, you have a shot at sponsorship. If you can make regional A-Mains and finish in the top 5, you deserve a look.

-Timing - Most companies (MurfDogg Included) review their team driver list in December, for the upcoming year. Send your resumes in between mid november and mid december for best results. Do not tell me you have resumes sent to every motor company out there... that means you stake zero value on brand loyalty.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions about sponsorship, and how to approach it. I will leave you with this bit of advice I give out to all of my racing friends...

"Being sponsored is not as cool as it seems. With your discount, you receive pressure. NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT TO RACE WITH ANY PRODUCTS THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE 100% FAITH IN, Otherwise you are sekking yourself short. Getting "Brand Z" motors for $60 instead of $85 is not worth it, if Brand Z moors are down on power and reliabilty. I would rather spend $90 bucks on the motor that is best, than $60 for a motor that limits my chances of success."
Matt "The MurfDogg" Murphy
MurfDogg Racing - www.MurfDogg.com- ROAR National Champions!
Brushless Racing Motors - Li-Po Racing Batteries - Aftermarket Accessories
Luxury Dirt Oval Racing Chassis and Performance Accessories
The MurfDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Good advice.
*Photon* *SC10 4x4*
pakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

As usual. The MurfDogg telling it like it is

Nice post Matt.
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote