Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Serpent 1:10 F1

looks like serpent may make a 1:10 F1

http://www.serpent.com/cars/
Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Very interesting, could on road be getting it's Slash class?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default hmmmm

just what the RC F1 community needs...........a $350 rolling chassis for F1
Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

They have sure been pumping out the Expected new vehicles lately...
Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What are the Serpent FF?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vafactor
Yeah, but it was expected.

Slash got big. Then the others made slightly more race-oriented version, just to tilt the playing field. Then they started making pro models. Now classes are getting watered down, costs are going up. Soon it will die off.

F1 is getting big due to the simplicity of the racing. Now others are making higher-spec models, which cost more. Other tech will come soon to make older models less competitive. Classes will get split and watered down, costs will go up. Later it will die off.

Gotta love evolution and the desire to win at all cost
Old 06-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

People are always going to tinker and try to improve things. That is part of all forms of racing. The only way to prevent that is to have some sort of spec chassis but that is just as bad because people get tired of the restrictions and lack of diversity and stop racing due to that. Either way you will always have cycles of growth and decline. It is a natural thing.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
Maybe it won't be that bad. If they can come in near $220 or less then they will be competitive with The Tamiya F104 Pro. Yeah I know that is a big if. I hope they keep it legal instead of going the Corally way.

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Either way you will always have cycles of growth and decline. It is a natural thing.
There doesn't seem to be any way around the cycles of growth and decline, but F1 has been down for a while and I want to enjoy this upswing while it last. I have hopes for this car. Good performer, not illegal, not to pricey, not a Corally. Those are my hopes.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
Yeah, but it was expected.

Slash got big. Then the others made slightly more race-oriented version, just to tilt the playing field. Then they started making pro models. Now classes are getting watered down, costs are going up. Soon it will die off.

F1 is getting big due to the simplicity of the racing. Now others are making higher-spec models, which cost more. Other tech will come soon to make older models less competitive. Classes will get split and watered down, costs will go up. Later it will die off.

Gotta love evolution and the desire to win at all cost
F1 is different because the F103 16+ year old design is still the car to beat.And nobody has made one that will beat is on a regular basis. All of the expensive stuff does not do it.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Interesting F1, but also FF car.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Personally, I love to see new designs that dare to be different and hopefully more scale realistic. I hope that this new Serpent F1 is NOT like the Corally F1, which is basically their pan car with an F1 chassis plate; that car is not scale at all! I hope Serpent makes their car a true F1 car, done to scale specs.

Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's obvious most of you guys were not around when F1 made it's first try into R/C in the 1990's. First Tamiya followed by Kyosho and HPI. the second year alot of companies came into the game. Most using the Tamiya frontend but that was it. I've got a partial chassis of my CRC F1 (showed it to Frank this past snowbirds).
Having a pan car front end which is better than the Tamiya or HPI frontend is my choice. Plus the parts are way easier to get parts that the others. Everyone has these Associated frontend parts.Not like I've got to order the stuff from California/Japan/China. And when Tamiya is out of parts like I need for a race it's to bad.The same for the companies in California. I've been waiting for some parts to come for over a month. At least with Corally and maybe Serpent I can go anywhere and get frontend parts.
Presently I'm racing and old Tamiya F103.It's fixed up like I wanted to do back in the 90's.
By the way at the first ROAR Nationals where the F1's were raced a box stock Kyosho was the T.Q but after the first qualifer He decided not to embarass us and did not run again.I saw him build the car right out of the box. Oh the driver was Joel Johnson(1995-or 96 in Naples Fl). That was the only Kyosho , everything else was Tamiya and HPI.The Tamiya won the race.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Interesting bit of nostalgia, but what is your point? I only ask because at the start of your post you say "It's obvious most of you guys were not around when F1 made it's first try into R/C in the 1990's".
Are you saying there have been cars faster than the 103 for a long time, but nobody wanted to drive them?
Not being an ass, just trying to figure what angle you're coming from.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

BullFrog, I have been racing F1 since 1987 and I still don't like cars like the current Corally F1 because they are not "scale" and are basically thinly disguised pan cars mascarading as F1 cars. Yes, it is true that if they use an Associated or CRC style front end and standard pan car wheels and tires, that parts are easier to get most anywhere. But that is not what rc F1 racing is all about! It is about "scale racing" where the car is built to the scale dimensions of the real thing and they actually look like a real F1 car on the track. The Corally "pan car" style cars do not look scale. They may indeed be faster and easier to get some parts for, but they violate the spirit of the F1 class.

I personally have never had any problems finding Tamiya parts for my F1 cars. They are readily available at most hobby shops and the major US distributors like Horizon, etc. Also, there are many aftermarket suppliers of parts to be found on the internet, such as 3 Racing, Yeah, etc.

I prefer pure "scale" F1 racing rather than going the "ultimate performance, non-scale" route that you seem to prefer and which Corally offers.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

The problem with the 'scale looks' is that the real F1 cars change constantly (look at the 103 vs. the 104). I think it would be a good idea if there was some standard open wheel class that was more stable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.