Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help? >

Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

BP Shadow you race at MSI?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Addict

hi my name is Torrance and i run in the UF1 series here in Socal. i've been browsing through this thread... seems like you guys are making it more complicated than it needs to be. in the UF1 series we're primarily Formula 1 fans, not some rc hotshoes trying to display our rc skills (we have plenty of other rc classes in which to do that). therefore we emphasize mainly the appearance of the car rather than teching what motors/batteries/tires/chassis the other guys are running. about the only tech done is the width where the keeper of the series, Charles Lightfoot, walks around with a plain ruler measuring the cars. that's it. then we go race and enjoy. we're a small group of locals and i think each of us would be more ashamed of cheating our fellow racers than get satisfaction from beating them with an illegal motor/esc.

another thing that makes UF1 more unique is the race format. we don't follow the traditional rc format of two or three qualifiers then A-B-C mains, instead we have our own format which is explained in the UF1 website. also we do mandatory pit stops which adds the element of pit strategy to the racing. get your pit strategy right and it can buy you some places, get it wrong and it can set you back - just like the real F1.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1
Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T. Deguzman
hi my name is Torrance and i run in the UF1 series here in Socal. i've been browsing through this thread... seems like you guys are making it more complicated than it needs to be. in the UF1 series we're primarily Formula 1 fans, not some rc hotshoes trying to display our rc skills (we have plenty of other rc classes in which to do that). therefore we emphasize mainly the appearance of the car rather than teching what motors/batteries/tires/chassis the other guys are running. about the only tech done is the width where the keeper of the series, Charles Lightfoot, walks around with a plain ruler measuring the cars. that's it. then we go race and enjoy. we're a small group of locals and i think each of us would be more ashamed of cheating our fellow racers than get satisfaction from beating them with an illegal motor/esc.

another thing that makes UF1 more unique is the race format. we don't follow the traditional rc format of two or three qualifiers then A-B-C mains, instead we have our own format which is explained in the UF1 website. also we do mandatory pit stops which adds the element of pit strategy to the racing. get your pit strategy right and it can buy you some places, get it wrong and it can set you back - just like the real F1.

We did look over the realistic rules and for the most part i think they are going to be followed allong those lines.

The race format is interesteing and we we wouldnt mind trying that or something almost like what you guys run. with the the only issue of race direction being able to follow and apply those types of changes.

an other thought was to just run a little longer. say 15 mins if the cars will go that long I am told some will run a really long time.

Nothing in stone yet for rules, just wanted to put out there as many opinions as we could
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
BP Shadow you race at MSI?
Yes, just not as often as I would like to.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I saw you guys run that format. How do the pit stops work? Is that just a stop and go deal? I worry that we then would need someone to keep track of who made how many stops. Does someone do that or is it just on the honor system? At our track we have 5 or 6 guys who are racers (thats counting me too) and will do anything to win. They may not cheat per say but they will push the rules to the very edge thus the need for us making complicated rules to limit those guys.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Yes, just not as often as I would like to.
What are the F1 rules there? How many racers are they getting in the winter? Mark R. told me you guys get close to 10 cars even now. Carpet racing is dead here in the summer time so I'm shocked to hear that many are still showing up.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

when you come in for a pit stop you get a sticker on the nose of your car. just one of those dot stickers you can get at an office supply store. we use a bright green sticker about the size of a nickel so you can easily see how many times the car has pitted. there's a designated 'pit boss' who puts the pit stickers on so each driver doesn't need his own pit guy. at the end of the race you gotta have two stickers otherwise that run gets DQ'd. you can pit anytime except for the first lap and the last lap (after the tone). and then of course you gotta peel the stickers off before the next race.

here's a picture of a car with two pit stickers on the nose. (at first we put them on the front wing but sometimes they tended to fall off)

Last edited by T. Deguzman; 06-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
They may not cheat per say but they will push the rules to the very edge thus the need for us making complicated rules to limit those guys.
I think this is where you need to make simpler fewer rules but have them very specific. The more complicated the rules the easier to find loopholes and other things. The chassis is not going to make a huge difference if you have specific dimensions they must be. If all the cars are 180mm a exotek vs the basic 104 will not be the difference between who wins and losses. It will be the driver. Also having a few chassis choices is nice for different driving styles. Some drivers style will fit a carbon chassis and others will fit a fiberglass chassis.

Try not to over think the rules. Keep them simple specific and easy to understand.

Now who will be the first to implement having to use two different tire compounds during a race, making mandatory pitstops for a tire change
Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

when you come in for a pit stop you get a sticker on the nose of your car. just one of those dot stickers you can get at an office supply store. we use a bright green sticker about the size of a nickel so you can easily see how many times the car has pitted. there's a designated 'pit boss' who puts the pit stickers on so each driver doesn't need his own pit guy. at the end of the race you gotta have two stickers otherwise that run gets DQ'd. you can pit anytime except for the first lap and the last lap (after the tone). and then of course you gotta peel the stickers off before the next race.

here's a picture of a car with two pit stickers on the nose. (at first we put them on the front wing but sometimes they tended to fall off)
I think that is a FANTASTIC Idea. Sounds like a ton of fun to me. Really brings the realistic feel back to racing electric.

Last edited by JJBinks; 06-07-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JJBinks
I think that is a FANTASTIC Idea. Sounds like a ton of fun to me. Really brings the realistic feel back to racing electric.
I think that is the real point here ... for it to be realistic. As has been noted..... if you really want the speed stuff there's lots of other classes, types and chassis's available to use and race.

I can't wait to get mine in.

Off the point a little, but, what batteries are you using? Obviously Li-Po's but which will fit?

Thank you.

BM
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Run 1 hour races, pitstops for battery changes.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccartips
lol ... now that would be frantic in the pits.....
Old 06-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
Not so sure that would work. It is a pain in the butt to change batteries in these cars. My battery actually never comes out of the car. I would have to either completely remove my upper chassis plate or remove the support posts on one side along with my receiver and possibly my servo to get the battery out.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

We have to take our batteries out, as they have to be charged in lipo sacks.
If you made a race like that, you would be surprised at the ingenuity that would come around for wuick-changes
Another idea is team racing. ONe car on the track, the other changing batteries and letting the motor cool for a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.