R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   air ducts (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/517413-air-ducts.html)

Jammin23 05-26-2011 11:57 AM

air ducts

hello everyone to begin with sorry if this isnt in the right forum! One thing ive wondered is why there are no other ways of cooling my electronics apart from heat sinks and fans. Since the wether here in the sunny uk has started picking up ive found my tb03r with a ezrun 5.5 overheating whereas in the cooler weather it didnt. What im trying to say is i know you can change youtr gear ratio to combat overheating but what if youve got a perfect setup and do not want to change it due to overheating. Has noone ever thought of using the actual bodyshell to aid cooling? Like using actual air ducts or even a way of ducting air from the front of the shell directly to the motor or esc. Sorry for the rambling and also if this has been brought up before!

sidecarphil1 05-26-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jammin23 (Post 9169579)
hello everyone to begin with sorry if this isnt in the right forum! One thing ive wondered is why there are no other ways of cooling my electronics apart from heat sinks and fans. Since the wether here in the sunny uk has started picking up ive found my tb03r with a ezrun 5.5 overheating whereas in the cooler weather it didnt. What im trying to say is i know you can change youtr gear ratio to combat overheating but what if youve got a perfect setup and do not want to change it due to overheating. Has noone ever thought of using the actual bodyshell to aid cooling? Like using actual air ducts or even a way of ducting air from the front of the shell directly to the motor or esc. Sorry for the rambling and also if this has been brought up before!

as far as i know it is not allowed for the body or under body to be used as a duct , BUT the older TRFs did come with an alloy plate thet the speedo used to sit on and this ducted air at the motor , this was a great idea

locked 05-26-2011 12:12 PM

I know I've read in the rules for a few sanctioning bodies that they don't allow you to modify the shell like that. They specifically only allow holes for the body posts and antenna. You might be able to channel some more air from cutouts in the bottom chassis. I recall seeing a pic where someone did this. There are probably rules against that too though.

Jammin23 05-26-2011 12:14 PM

im not using it for racing so not worried about the rules apart from the trf's you mentioned im guessing theres nothing else out there so wouldhave to be a custom job do you actually think the idea would be benficial in the first place?

InspGadgt 05-26-2011 12:18 PM

Off hand I can't remember the company but I do remember seeing someone make a radiator with hoses back to a heat sink on the motor.

dun4sho 05-26-2011 12:26 PM

http://www.oocrcracing.com/

sidecarphil1 05-26-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jammin23 (Post 9169637)
im not using it for racing so not worried about the rules apart from the trf's you mentioned im guessing theres nothing else out there so wouldhave to be a custom job do you actually think the idea would be benficial in the first place?

yeah i know and understand but manufactures either build for looks or for racing , for looks not many cars have bonnet scoops or holes in the side of the body , and for racing it isnt allowed so they dont do it .

I did test a cut out infront of my motor in my Speed6 body shell last year , worked well

Jammin23 05-26-2011 01:13 PM

thanks for the link and all your comments guys. I get what you mean about the manufacturers not needing to make the shells already scooped and ducted. Do you think an actual way of channeling the air from a scoop or duct on the shell directly to where its need would work. Something like a ram air system in essence?