Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC NiMH battery troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Default EPIC NiMH battery troubles

Can anyone offer advice?

I just bought an Epic 3000 NiMH battery from the LHS. I've charged it three times now using my MRC SuperBrain 819, fast charger. Each run, the battery lasts maybe mins., tops!

I just got off the phone with the LHS and they suggested that my battery charger is not fulling charging the battery. I know the charger I bought is designed if NiCD and NiMH. It's a plug into the wall device that then plugs into the battery to be charged. It charges for ~15mins. then the LED starts to blink, at which time the instructions said you can unplug the battery if you want. If you're not there to unplug it, it will blink for 15-20 mins (can't remember) then auto shut-off.

Anyone think I bought a dud battery, or is the guy from the shop right and the charger really isn't fully charging the battery? He said it should take ~25 mins to fully charge.

thanks for the help
Old 09-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd guess that it's not fully charging your battery. Even at a 5 amp charge rate(which is a bit more than your SuperBrain can actually charge at), it can take as long as 30-40 minutes to fully charge a pack of 3000's(that's what it took for me when I used 3000's, & I was charging at 5 amps on my Novak Millenium then). Something else toconsider, is your pack getting warm at all when you pull it off the charger? That's usually one of the most obvious signs that it's fully charged, the pack should be slightly warm to the touch(just a little above room temperature, maybe as much as 130-140 degrees F absolute max). If this isn't happening, I'd try putting it back on the charger & see how it goes.....
Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

it usually takes a couple cycles to get the battery up to full capacity,especially if its been sitting at the hobby shop for awhile.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Try cycling the pack again. Make sure you have the directions for your charger right. The shop owner is correct on the aproximate time it should take. Does your charger have an adjustable peak detect setting.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:53 AM

The EPIC 3000 NIMH pack I bought took about 8 runs and some adjustment of the charger before I got it dialed in and running at full capacity.

I had to adjust my peak voltage so the charger didn't false peak and cut out early, and discharge the pack way down, did that a few times and it was fine. I was worried at first too as it was my first NIMH pack.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

i'm having the same problem with them, i'm gonna call them and just return them if i can. ii dont wana cycle thru them 8x or so only problem is i put deans on them instead of the tamayia's they come with.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

15 minutes of charge time isn't enough to fully charge a 3000 battery. It should take close to 30-40 minutes at 5 amps or so to be fully charged.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Tech Initiate

man are you guys serious? i thought that my charger was F***ed up. im having the same problem........ive been double charging lately
Old 10-03-2004, 07:46 AM

Aadolf, that's the nature of NIMH batteries. Pretty much all new packs, unless they come conditioned will require several cycles to bring them up. Unless you've really got a defective pack you'll have to deal with it on your next.

My packs take 28-33 minutes at 4.5amps, so yeah it takes awhile. I've gotta plan ahead on race day to make sure I get them all charged. It makes sense if you think about it mathmatically though.