R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Lap timer for cheap

I searched and did not see this anywhere so I thought I would post it up for others.

I just made a personal lap timer. You modify the Microsizers timing system. With the Microsizer lap counter, laser pointer, and telephone wire you are set. The Microsizers lap counters are getting hard to find but you can get them.

Here are instructions.

For $25 and about an hour of time I have my own very portable system. It can do timed races up to ten minutes or lap races up to 500 laps. It only will tell you overall time and fastest lap when you are done. While you are running it displays the last laps time. So if you have a friend nearby they can write down all of your lap times. The only real problem is it uses a laser so it counts a lap every time the laser is broken. You can really only count laps with one car on the track at a time. Unless you create a way that only your car will break the laser, with something like an extra long antenna tube and having the beam up above everyone else.

I bought a decent quality laser pointer and used an aluminum tube for the detector. With this I have been able to set the laser and detector 15' apart and it detects a pen being waved through the laser at high speeds. This setup should have no problem picking up an antenna tube on a 8-10' wide track. If it would stop raining I could go put it to the test.

Here is my setup right now.

I am just happy because now no mater where I am driving I can get lap times and work on things.
You know the guy that beat you at the last race? It was not because of his car, or motor, or battery, it is because he was a better driver. Now go practice so you can beat him.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1

Last edited by CR0SS; 05-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Dude, thats freakin awesome. Its exactly what I need. Wish I could look at all my laps though, but good enough for now. Just hope I can replaicate it. I cant belive someone hasnt developed a simple cheap lap timming system dedicated to RC for single car use. Im at the track all the time on my own during the week, and its too much stuffing around to use the proper Aly cat and my laps system, need something I can use just on my won, im sure if someone developed something for less than $100 there would be thousands of customers world wide. Lets not forget both on road and off road RC Cars, BMX, Running and im sure many other types of racing could benifit from such a device
JaysonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

cant find a Microsizers Lap Counter anywhere on the cheap. after currency conversion, crazy postage, cheapest was $100 Au, you gotta be kidding me. id pay max $30au inc postage. so sad, oh well. was nice while the dream lasted
JaysonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote