Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Making the switch to an Xray, need some advice... >

Making the switch to an Xray, need some advice...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making the switch to an Xray, need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Making the switch to an Xray, need some advice...

Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for awhile but this is my first post. I just got back into the RC scene for the first time since 2002 and so far I've been loving it! Brushless motors, modern technology, it's awesome... Anyways, I'm really interested in onroad so I purchased a couple of Tamiyas over the past few months (TA05 V2, TT01) and I've been running the TA05. It's a great car but it seems like the guys at my track are really big on Xrays. I like the durability and the fact that it is a killer racer out of the box. I have several friends who do onroad and I've tried several of the Tamiyas, Team Associated TC5/6, HB TCX, and Xray T3s. It seems like the Xrays are extremely durable and capable of really high speeds. I also like the fact that it's ready to go out of the box (hop up parts, I mean) unlike the Tamiyas which require lots of additional parts to make it a competitive car.

Well enough rambling, my questions are:

-Will there be an Xray T3 2012 coming out soon? The guys at my track said October but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be waiting for.

-Are there any recommended hop ups to get with the T3? The main reason I want this car is because it looks like it is fully hopped up out of the box, but I might be wrong..

-What motor/esc/servo? Already have a Spektrum DX3R system with a Novak Ballistic 17.5 and GTB2 in my other car, but I'd like something with timing. I was thinking of going with a 13.5, or another 17.5 since those are the popular classes. I was looking at the Tekin RS and the Novak Kinetic, which is better? Is there anything else I should look at? I just want something reliable with timing/boost...and what's a good servo for this car?

That's pretty much it, just looking for any tips for someone who is new to Xrays and competitive RC racing!

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Tamiya make cars (e.g. TRF417) which are just as competitive, but aside from that...

1. That timeframe is about right for the T3'12. It will most likely be a minor update and include things which are popular with the T3'11 right now like the new bulkhead clamps with roll centre adjustment, a gear diff, and the servo rotated 90 deg like many T3 owners are doing.

2. It's very good out of the box. You would want the usual stuff like springs and roll bars as a minimum. A gear diff is also a good idea to reduce maintenance. The current gear diffs require 50mm shafts, but the xray one will drop "soon" and allow the use of the kit 52s. The new bulkhead clamps ($$) are also nice but not necessary, if you do get them then you need all the hardware to go with them like ball studs and the closed ball cups.

3. I'll let other guys give opinions on spec setups...
Old 05-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

Craig, thanks for the help! I did look at the Tamiya 417, even 416, but the reason I'd like to switch to an Xray is because the local shops/tracks stock tons of Xray stuff and almost no Tamiya. Do you think it's a better idea to wait for the T3 2012 or just go with the 2011?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

I'd just get the '11, you'll be able to upgrade to the 12 if you want and realistically even if it is released in october normally it's more like feb until there is good stock available.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

I run an Xray T2'008 I bought used, and it has an Futaba BLS451 servo in it which works great

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRJS5

Tekin ESC's and Speed Passion motors seems to be the favorite choice at my track.

Personally I use cheaper components, but if money is no object, they seem to be the preferred items.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On the hop ups the Xray is much less equipped than the Tamiya. If you add the upper clamps and alloy shocks its really a big money kit, I think by far the most expensive.

Nonetheless you are right to go for the Xray.

Although the Tamiya comes already with these items and is cheap to run if you buy spares abroad, half the price of Xray, you really need a collection of toe blocks which adds quite a bit to the cost.

Whilst the plastic shocks are fine, I recommend you opt for the alloy shocks, they are excellent quality, easier to build and set correctly and very durable and consistent.

I have a 417 and a T3'11, I think it is hard to find fault with the Xray TBH, its just a great package right out of the box.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

I think I'm going to get one tomorrow. I have about $700 to work with. After the kit, I'm left with about $200. I already have a radio so just need the esc/motor/servo. I don't mind waiting a bit and saving up for better electronics, but I'm just not sure the best combo for the Xray.

As I mentioned, I have a Ballistic 17.5 and a GTB2 in my Tamiya which I'm considering using for now in the Xray. The only problem is the GTB2 doesn't have timing/boost, which I would like so I can compete in those classes. For the esc, I've narrowed it down to Tekin RS or Speed Passion (like complete opposites on price!...Lol).

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

No need for boost. The GTB2 is just fine.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...oost-dead.html

Have you decided where to pick up your kit? Is it local to you or convenient for you? Do they have a good supply of replacement parts? A car is only good if you have good parts support for it.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

take out a loan to cover parts..
Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

And...I find parts are hard to find for xray. I have both the 417 and a t3 2011 and I can't even get some of items I want for the t3.

I can't believe how much more expensive the t3 is either. Upper clamps - $110 with studs. ECS: $100. 50mm shafts: $50 (needed if you ever want to dry a SpecR geardiff).
Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

At my local track the Tamiyas are almost non existant. It's basically me and 1 other guy who comes once a month to run Tamiyas, then everyone else does Xray. I have to drive far or order online to get Tamiya parts, while Xray is available close by. I did notice the price is a bit high for parts, but not that much worse than Tamiya hop ups, plus I noticed there are aftermarket options (Spec-R, 3Racing, etc).

I'm almost ready to buy it and use my Novak setup, but I have one last question. The guys at the track were telling me about the different versions so I went online and researched. It looks like there was a T3 that came in two options, rubber or foam, but it has been replaced by the Xray T3 'Spec' - is this correct? I plan on racing on asphalt in the stock 17.5 class, so I'm assuming the newer Spec T3 is the one to get? Or should I be looking for one of the other editions?

Thanks for all the help guys...great forum!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC.Jon22
At my local track the Tamiyas are almost non existant. It's basically me and 1 other guy who comes once a month to run Tamiyas, then everyone else does Xray. I have to drive far or order online to get Tamiya parts, while Xray is available close by. I did notice the price is a bit high for parts, but not that much worse than Tamiya hop ups, plus I noticed there are aftermarket options (Spec-R, 3Racing, etc).

I'm almost ready to buy it and use my Novak setup, but I have one last question. The guys at the track were telling me about the different versions so I went online and researched. It looks like there was a T3 that came in two options, rubber or foam, but it has been replaced by the Xray T3 'Spec' - is this correct? I plan on racing on asphalt in the stock 17.5 class, so I'm assuming the newer Spec T3 is the one to get? Or should I be looking for one of the other editions?

Thanks for all the help guys...great forum!
Yeah you want the T3 2011 Specs. They used to do US (foam) and EU (rubber) editions but I don't believe they do that anymore.

Personally I would get hobbywing/speedpassion ESC, I always preferred the feel of them over the tekin when I raced spec classes.

FYI I've also switched tamiya to xray and I love it. The tamiya was just as fast and parts were cheap, but I had similar issues as you with supply and I've found the xray is much more durable to both crashing and wear, so even though you might pay more for the parts you replace them much less frequently.

Good racing
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Craig, you've been a great help. I think after work tomorrow I will be picking up that 2011 T3! I'm really interested in that Speed Passion Cirtix 17.5 combo...only $90 for ESC and motor, with pretty good reviews, any experience with this model? Is it worth a try or better to hold off?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Tech Champion

I believe citrix is designed as a controlled combo, so the performance probably isn't as good as their competition line. Your ballistic motor should be very competitive, for ESC check out the hobbywing extreme stock. Price should still be excellent and the performance is great.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are also aftermarket parts for the xray t2 and t3 series such as atomic, spec r, jet racing, cso racing and zeppin racing that are cheaper but works well with the kit.

Best to wait for the xray gear diff if there is one hop up you are considering of buying and investing in :nod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.