Wiki Posts
Search

Drilling holes in brushes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Drilling holes in brushes

How do you go about drilling holes in brushes?Is there a company that makes a jig for this or do you just use a drill bit ?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Niftech makes the best one. I have one and it works great.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Niftech and Putnum does one also. Never have used either though, so dont know how good they are.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys I will check them out
Old 09-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you take an exacto knife or even a sharp body reamer and just make a small indentation in the center of the brush , Just enough for the drill bit not to skate around , you shouldn't have any problems in getting it nearly perfect......Iv'e done many pairs of brushes this way with good results......the most common size hole to make, is a number 42 bit = (3/32).......drill in about 3/32 deep also..............
Old 09-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Joe B
If you take an exacto knife or even a sharp body reamer and just make a small indentation in the center of the brush , Just enough for the drill bit not to skate around , you shouldn't have any problems in getting it nearly perfect......Iv'e done many pairs of brushes this way with good results......the most common size hole to make, is a number 42 bit = (3/32).......drill in about 3/32 deep also..............
Thanks alot I have been searching for a while now trying to figure out what size a #42 bit was.Basically your saying I dont need a jig ,am I correct?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

whats the advantage of a drilled brush?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally posted by Joe B
That is all I do if i put in a hole. Works why buy an expensive jig?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

www.rc4less.com carries the putman version
Old 09-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

I also use the xacto/drill bit method and it works great. The purpose of it is to keep the brushes cool. Im not really sure why its either the little pocket of air keeps it cool or because the electricity flows around the surface of the brush not through it the center of the brush is useless and creates un-needed friction. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

I've tried the 'exacto pilot mark' method and still manage to mangle my brushes EVERY time. I'm a big fan of drilled brushes, but think I'll be looking into the jigs sometime soon.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
I also use the xacto/drill bit method and it works great. The purpose of it is to keep the brushes cool. Im not really sure why its either the little pocket of air keeps it cool or because the electricity flows around the surface of the brush not through it the center of the brush is useless and creates un-needed friction. Does anyone know for sure?
The main reason drilled brushes run cooler is because there is less friction. Any cut brush will run cooler. A drilled brush has the most surface removed, so they run the coolest. Additionally, it does help that there are more edges for the air to circulate. Even on a drilled brush with no cuts exposed to the outside, air still does manage to circulate in them from serrations and from air moving in the comm slots.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Also a reason for drilling the brushes is so that they have better contact with the commutator. When the motor is running, the electricity that passes from the brush to the com causes a gas to build up.(ozone) This gas causes the brush to float and possibly arch. The holes allow the gas to be expelled from the face of the brush faster so it doesn't float, therefore better contact and more power.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

when the electric flows through the brush into the comm it doesn't go into the comm through the centre of the brush...just the outer edges of the brush.

so by drilling a hole it will great a larger..or more edges for more electric to flow at any one time...its the same principal with serrations etc it just creates more edges for the electric to pass through....in a way it will make the brush run cooler but then it will make it run hotter as more electric flowing through will create more heat but as previously said it will have less friction so the heat will probably be the same

HTH
Old 10-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a related question. Why not cut a slot down the center of the curved face of the brush? Wouldn't this allow better air flow and create more edges? Just askin'...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.