R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Done-It-Myself Onroad Engineering

I think there should be a thread dedicated to the engineering work that we do to our onroad cars. Lots of time stock is fragile and doesn't even go around the track, so what do we do? We don't fix it, we build it better.

As an example of what I'm looking for, this is my CRC Carpet Knife 3.2R, a kit now seven years old and anybody familiar with the car will notice that its entirely wrong. The servo is now mounted flat on the chassis using Associated aluminum servo mounts, the front steering ballcups have been replaced with captured ball-end nylon threaded links usually reserved for airplanes and have zero play. The front steering block had to be built up to remove all bump-steer from the front end. The molded-plastic side links and fragile aluminum ball mounts have been replaced with associated offroad shock ends threaded into a 1" turnbuckle. The carbon structure that mounts the dampner tube, side spring, and body mounts has been turned backward so the body mount post is more rearward to fight body flexing. The bumper is a cut-down touring car piece that also serves as the front body support. The rear axle thrust washer assembly has been replaced with a Slapmaster bearing unit. The left hub clamp is a lightweight micro unit to help balance out the brushless motor imbalance. The antenna wire is threaded through the front suspension and across the bumper through unused body mount holes, and countless less noticeable changes.

How well does this car work? Fantastic.

This is what I'm looking for, this thread will probably die before it ever gets started but I think this sort of work needs some recognition and respect. If you molded an entire chassis or shock tower out of JB Weld and won the race with it, picture and post it here. If you have three different types of never-meant-to-do-it suspension in each end of your car, post it here. I will ask that the car be at least functional, and obviously, the weirder the better.
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
If everything is under control... go faster.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote