Wiki Posts
Search

Charging on 1:1 car battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Charging on 1:1 car battery?

I'm taking a truck on mine camping for the first time. I have a Duratrax 240 (I believe without getting up and looking), it charges two NiMh batteries at once. My question is, can I completely charge my batteries, which will take about an hour, on my car battery without killing the 1:1 battery? Or what's recommended in doing something like this?

Is there a better place to put this thread? I didn't see one.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrowles91
I'm taking a truck on mine camping for the first time. I have a Duratrax 240 (I believe without getting up and looking), it charges two NiMh batteries at once. My question is, can I completely charge my batteries, which will take about an hour, on my car battery without killing the 1:1 battery? Or what's recommended in doing something like this?

Is there a better place to put this thread? I didn't see one.
I use a car battery for charging all my packs. The question is how big is your car battery?

The battery in my wife's mazda is only 65ah, so you could expect to charge 6-8 batteries before you car wont start!

I prefer to use a Deep Cycle Marine battery, which has a capacity of over 120Ah. I can usually go 2-3 weekends without charging it. Between my son and I, we charge 15 batteries per weekend (15 x 2500, and i run my tire warmers from it too. )

Shawn.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
I use a car battery for charging all my packs. The question is how big is your car battery?

The battery in my wife's mazda is only 65ah, so you could expect to charge 6-8 batteries before you car wont start!

I prefer to use a Deep Cycle Marine battery, which has a capacity of over 120Ah. I can usually go 2-3 weekends without charging it. Between my son and I, we charge 15 batteries per weekend (15 x 2500, and i run my tire warmers from it too. )

Shawn.
I'm not sure how big my battery is. It's this one http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...uestid=1855881 . Didn't see any information on what your referring to so I called, the guy said it had 81 minutes of draw time. I said how much current were they using to get that number? He had no other information. Any idea?

***Reserve minutes not draw time
Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i have been doing that throughout the 90's without any problems at all, providing the battery isnt near the end of its life, charging rc car batteries deosnt take as much current as automotive headlamps. i have even removed the car battery from the car and placed it on my pit table to charge my rc batteries, about 4-5 packs throughout the race then placed it back in my car and it starts. Of course over here the cars are 4 cylinder low capacity jap econo boxes, not fire breathing V8s like in the US.
by starting the car and running it, the battery will be recharged.
For my econobox, a 1988 mitsubishi lancer fiore, the battery size is NS60L ,L is for Large.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by alcyon
i have been doing that throughout the 90's without any problems at all, providing the battery isnt near the end of its life, charging rc car batteries deosnt take as much current as automotive headlamps. i have even removed the car battery from the car and placed it on my pit table to charge my rc batteries, about 4-5 packs throughout the race then placed it back in my car and it starts. Of course over here the cars are 4 cylinder low capacity jap econo boxes, not fire breathing V8s like in the US.
by starting the car and running it, the battery will be recharged.
For my econobox, a 1988 mitsubishi lancer fiore, the battery size is NS60L ,L is for Large.
Awesome, thank you so much for the reassurance. Sounds like I'll be good. Thanks for the answers!