Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Rumoured new XRAY TC >

Rumoured new XRAY TC

Rumoured new XRAY TC

Old 09-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Food for thought too:
What about shaft with sattle pack for even distribution. Just make the connnecting wire a little longer. I like belt cars, but there are plenty who like shaft. Heh, Tamiya makes both, why not X Ray. It doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be both. The M18 is shaft, I know that's a different scenerio, but HPI's 1/18th is belt, so why did XRay go shaft if its so bad. I see pros and cons for both. Why not have 2 cars with the best fit and machining that XRay is known for?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by mtc3od
Cypress...

So how long ago did any one have to buy a new tc3. Five year old car and it still is fairly dominant. Not as dominant as it used to be but still is. Hara has won almost every race this year with a shaft drive. Not trying to argue the shaft/ belt debate but you stating that a shaft cannot beat a properly built belt is not true.
Predictions for worlds:
Shaft.....1 Hara or Baker
Shaft.....2 Hara or Baker
belt.......3 Hodapp, Shurikarn, possibly Francis with the new losi.
It was not stated that they couldn't be beaten, it was stated that shaft drive is not superior. At the Carpet Nationals this year there was NO shaft car in the same league with Cyrul's X-Ray. It was COMPLETE DOMINATION. I also contend that Modified is not the area to look at when seeking drivetrain efficiency the stock class is far more indicative of which drivetrain offers the most punch/efficiency, and as of late, X-Ray has been pretty dominant.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

why would X-ray want a new car the FK is awsome
Old 09-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

why would Losi want a new car, the XXX-S is awesome, it is simply to make money, when newer better items come out the company gets a bunch of income from buyers, simply because newer models make the older ones obsolite
Old 09-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

X-ray has never been about innovation, they take the tried and trued and prefect it.....

Why go with shaft on the M18? because Hudy wanted a fully suspended 1/18th scale car, and he they also knew that running a belt around that small of a pulley is inefficient, sp running 1 belt around 2 pulleys that small is plain stupid.... in this case shaft beats belts......

The XB8 isn't a complete redesign and innovation, it has some innovative ideas going into afew of the pieces, but for the most part it is standard 1/8th scale affair........
Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Just cause a belt car wins a race doesnt mean that it was cause the belt was more efficient. A lot of this has to be the driver and the setup. Yes the X-ray is a great car and yes Cryul was dominant. I actually downloaded the videos just to see it. I firmly believe that most of this comes from the way the chassis is balanced. Also, an Associated SHAFT car most call it the TC3 won the carpet nationals. I think that a couple of shaft drive cars finished ahead of the xrays in the last Roar on road championship. No its not just cause it is shaft drive. Like I said previously, setup, driver, and other variables are the main decisive factors. Also, with efficiency, there is no way to tell which is more efficient. If you are thinking of innovation and making money, check out one of my previous post. A couple ideas that I wonder if anyone had tried. They will eventually put out another car and I can only hope that it is a shaft.
PS. They are easier to clean than a belt also.
Chris

Last edited by mtc3od; 09-29-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Just on the shaft vs belt thing, shaft drives with inline motors will have slight torque steer, which will not be a problem on a belt drive. Also, belt drive allows the motor to be placed in the middle, for a better balance. In an ideal world, a shaft drive will have a motor in the middle, but that will reduce the effiicieny
Old 09-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

What causes the drop in the efficiency if the motor is in the middle on a shaft car?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Post FYI

mtc3od-for your info Chris.....Alex Lopez is my teammate....he no longer runs stock. He wanted to win a national title in the class before leaving it. He did so at Portland. He also won the NORCCA nats in MOD in his first race. Bottom line is, a talented driver will do well in any class. AS for not calling anyone out...Not sure about that..you accused him of sand bagging..so?

There will always be a debate as to which car has more "rip", which car is more free...etc.

In the end, it is about driver, batteries, Motor and of course luck.

I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Mike A.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 PM
R/C Tech Founder

A Lo running mod, awesome. Mike, you going to make it to Cleveland? That's my next stop!
Old 09-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Tech Adept

mtc3od- what i meant was that if the motor is placed in the middle in a shaft drive, there will be the need for at least two shafts to send the power to the two diffs. Unless if u have a shaft running down one side n with extra wide diffs like pro3. Don't think that will quite work tho as it not be very balanced.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

New Xray shaft drive is undobtably been tested at the moment but would only be reliesed if its faster than a T1FT, they WILL run a shaft drive at the worlds in some capacity. Rick
Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i thought that the rules for the worlds was that the car is available to the public by the time the worlds were run for it to be legal for any of the factory pilots to drive it in that event.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Those are only Roar rules and I believe they only apply to the stock classes.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shane-I am going to the Halloween Classic next week and I'll be at Cleveland for the Indoor champs but as a spectator only......

A-Lo is running the Worlds as well and as far as I know they don't have a stock class there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.