Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Supa_18's
Hay all just an quick question does having the drs open or closed actually make a difference? Or is it just for looks

Cheers josh
Mate, I was considering a micro servo and push/pull wire setup for proper DRS, use it with the third channel - just to mess with your head !!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

New FGX Heavy Duty Wheel Axles are available at TQ.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...t.asp?s_sort=3

FYI, Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hmmm ok. Thanks for the help. Another thing is how does everyone run such low ride height without bottoming out? Thanks all
+1

Mine actually started to spark a bit while testing yesterday (was getting dark outside)... My first thought was that's so cool... Then I stopped so I wouldn't damage the car.

Still haven't had an answer to my front end ride height question, I can't see how I can get more out of the front.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Running outdoors on asphalt you eventually just get used to the chassis getting scratched up. Some people will use a chassis protector sheet underneath but that becomes a bit of a hassle and most people give up on them. Also keep in mind a lot of these setups and stuff you are seeing mentioned is for indoor carpet which is much smoother so lower ride heights are possible.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
+1

Mine actually started to spark a bit while testing yesterday (was getting dark outside)... My first thought was that's so cool... Then I stopped so I wouldn't damage the car.

Still haven't had an answer to my front end ride height question, I can't see how I can get more out of the front.
What is your front end question?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Running outdoors on asphalt you eventually just get used to the chassis getting scratched up. Some people will use a chassis protector sheet underneath but that becomes a bit of a hassle and most people give up on them. Also keep in mind a lot of these setups and stuff you are seeing mentioned is for indoor carpet which is much smoother so lower ride heights are possible.
You're right about the carpet being more forgiving but bottoming out the chassis is never good. I'm actually running 6 to 7 mm all around and the handling is really good. Nothing unexpected from bottoming out either.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

There's always a trade off between bottoming out or raising the chassis. As you raise the chassis the car has a much higher roll tendency so often you will actually get better performance even when the chassis bottoms out. Most of the bottoming out issues on asphalt have to do either with a bumpy track surface or from crashing the car. Neither of which is going to have an impact on the car's handling. Watch just about any full sized road race at night and you will see sparks from where the chassis bottoms out over the bumps...especially in classes like F1 where they actually have to regulate how much wear is on the board under the car or the teams will wear it right out due to their low ride height.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My FGX pristine and then after a few race weekends... (also, ignore the mismatched tires... that's LEGAL!)
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-img_8169.jpg   3 racing new F1-fw29-f1-rc.jpg   3 racing new F1-gallery_1_3_39751.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

What is your front end question?
What's the highest you can set the front end ride height. With the two shims between the knuckle and the upper arm the car is at 4.5mm. But I can't see how I could fit more shims in to get higher.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

There's always a trade off between bottoming out or raising the chassis. As you raise the chassis the car has a much higher roll tendency so often you will actually get better performance even when the chassis bottoms out. Most of the bottoming out issues on asphalt have to do either with a bumpy track surface or from crashing the car. Neither of which is going to have an impact on the car's handling. Watch just about any full sized road race at night and you will see sparks from where the chassis bottoms out over the bumps...especially in classes like F1 where they actually have to regulate how much wear is on the board under the car or the teams will wear it right out due to their low ride height.
The fgx has a low roll center up front and it is too low for high bite carpet. Since there is little adjustment up front I had to max out the front ride height thus raising the roll center to keep from traction rolling over the front end. With a high front and a low rear the car pushed really bad so I raised the rear to get front traction back.

I also was bottoming out in our sweeper and the car was doing some really wierd handling tricks so for me the raised roll center and chassis helped a lot more than the occasional chassis scrape.

I guarantee the full size race teams are concerned about bottoming out. Any time you hit the chassis and take the load away from the suspension it causes handling problems. They are not ignoring the occasional scrape. The goal is to maximize handling while minimizing ride height without scraping although they do occasionally scrape.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wollow86
What's the highest you can set the front end ride height. With the two shims between the knuckle and the upper arm the car is at 4.5mm. But I can't see how I could fit more shims in to get higher.
I was able to run 3 of those shims on top just haha but 2 1/2 of those shims would probably be better
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Tech Addict

I was able to run 3 of those shims on top just haha but 2 1/2 of those shims would probably be better
Wow, cant see how. If I use 3mm worth of shims, the top of the kingpin is level with the top of the ball joint thing in the upper arm. 2.5mm I cant get the E clip on, but nearly....

What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I guarantee the full size race teams are concerned about bottoming out. Any time you hit the chassis and take the load away from the suspension it causes handling problems. They are not ignoring the occasional scrape. The goal is to maximize handling while minimizing ride height without scraping although they do occasionally scrape.
I didn't say they weren't concerned about it...I said it was a trade off...or a compromise. Often times they will trade off some amount of bottoming out for some other performance advantage.

My earlier point being...running on asphalt the chassis is going to get scraped. Raising the ride height just to protect the chassis will sacrifice a good deal in handling because either bumps in the track or accidents/collisions will cause the suspension to compress more than normal and the chassis will scrape. Most of us just get used to it and tune the ride height for handling rather than for protecting the chassis.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

I didn't say they weren't concerned about it...I said it was a trade off...or a compromise. Often times they will trade off some amount of bottoming out for some other performance advantage.

My earlier point being...running on asphalt the chassis is going to get scraped. Raising the ride height just to protect the chassis will sacrifice a good deal in handling because either bumps in the track or accidents/collisions will cause the suspension to compress more than normal and the chassis will scrape. Most of us just get used to it and tune the ride height for handling rather than for protecting the chassis.
Agreed. Maximum handling is the goal. I have just run into too many people that will slam a chassis just because they can. Lower isn't always better. Just wanted people not to be afraid to raise the chassis and try it out.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Mate, I was considering a micro servo and push/pull wire setup for proper DRS, use it with the third channel - just to mess with your head !!
haha that would be just another thing for me to try and concentrate on haha i struggle enough as it is just driving the thing hahah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.