Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Some cell phone shots for your viewing pleasure. The silver one needs some Mercedes decals. The Retro-McLaren had its maiden voyage tonight. I'm going to try the peal and stick vinyl on the wings, so a little more body work to be done on both.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

I made some mods to the gear diff and it still torque steers pretty hard so I bit the $30 bullet and bought the ball diff tonight. Man what a difference. The car felt smoother, looked smoother, and with the right setting no more torque steer. Having absolutely no idea what to do with this diff I still equaled my best lap times with the gear diff. Consistency was a little off but it wasn't my best driving night and like I said I have no idea what I'm doing with this new diff. I guarantee that I will get just as consistent, increase my smoothness and lower my lap times with the ball diff. Tuning is a breeze. Pull one tire pop the camber link slide out the axle and give a small twist with a screwdriver. Diff tuning in under 2 minutes. By the way the ball diff is 3 grams lighter than the gear diff with aluminum cups.

bye bye gear diff. I may put one of these in my vta car next.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Hey guys just wondering if there is another gear diff that would fit the fgx or if there is stronger gears for it. I have stripped all the gears in my diff

Also snapped my top deck near the caster block today but ran all day with no front wing and funnily the car felt heaps better.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shano83
Hey guys just wondering if there is another gear diff that would fit the fgx or if there is stronger gears for it. I have stripped all the gears in my diff

Also snapped my top deck near the caster block today but ran all day with no front wing and funnily the car felt heaps better.
Xray NT1 diff gear will fits.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by T-shirt
Xray NT1 diff gear will fits.
Cool cheers. But how will that work, cause the nt1 diff is for belts?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Cant work out how you guys constantly strip gears. I have a Sakura Zero and a Sakura FF basically running the same gear diff components and have yet to strip any gears. While I dont race a lot the TITC event was 2 weeks of hard practice and racing with no damage.

Are you building them correctly? Have you read the 3 Racing article on how to build the gear diff?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Tech Champion

Cool cheers. But how will that work, cause the nt1 diff is for belts?
The internal gears
Old 03-18-2012, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by cannon
The internal gears
Doh I see now hahaha
I just stripped down the gear diff and the gears are fine, no wear but had no oil in it??

The noise it was marking was horrible, I redid the diff again with oil and used aw grease on out drives and fitted an X-ray diff seal I had. I did a few high speed runs with it and no leak and no noise.
I had taken out 1 shim behind big gears and 1 shim out behind each small gears previously, but now put them back in.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Tech Champion

Doh I see now hahaha
I just stripped down the gear diff and the gears are fine, no wear but had no oil in it??

The noise it was marking was horrible, I redid the diff again with oil and used aw grease on out drives and fitted an X-ray diff seal I had. I did a few high speed runs with it and no leak and no noise.
I had taken out 1 shim behind big gears and 1 shim out behind each small gears previously, but now put them back in.
Without all the shims the internal gears can run on just the ends of the internal gears teeth ... not good. Use the shims as instructed. The diff will feel slightly rougher but it smooths out and doesn't fail as easy
Old 03-18-2012, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I made some mods to the gear diff and it still torque steers pretty hard so I bit the $30 bullet and bought the ball diff tonight. Man what a difference. The car felt smoother, looked smoother, and with the right setting no more torque steer. Having absolutely no idea what to do with this diff I still equaled my best lap times with the gear diff. Consistency was a little off but it wasn't my best driving night and like I said I have no idea what I'm doing with this new diff. I guarantee that I will get just as consistent, increase my smoothness and lower my lap times with the ball diff. Tuning is a breeze. Pull one tire pop the camber link slide out the axle and give a small twist with a screwdriver. Diff tuning in under 2 minutes. By the way the ball diff is 3 grams lighter than the gear diff with aluminum cups.

bye bye gear diff. I may put one of these in my vta car next.
Funny you mention the ball diff, I priced one today for my FGX. As much as I like the lower maintenance aspect of the gear diff, I suspect I may be suffering inconsistent rear traction ,due to the oil thinning out.
I blamed the tyres going off (around four minutes in ) , but had a brain explosion regarding the diff. Definitely something to try out !
Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey guys.

What's the highest you can make the front ride height on the FGX?

I have it set up to kit right now, which is like 4.5mm. But I was hoping to make it a bit higher, something like 5.5.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

How do I calculate the gering on this car?

Regards
Oortael
Old 03-18-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Oortael
Hi,

How do I calculate the gering on this car?

Regards
Oortael

(Spur / pinion ) * 2.71
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Funny you mention the ball diff, I priced one today for my FGX. As much as I like the lower maintenance aspect of the gear diff, I suspect I may be suffering inconsistent rear traction ,due to the oil thinning out.
I blamed the tyres going off (around four minutes in ) , but had a brain explosion regarding the diff. Definitely something to try out !
I didn't even think of the gear diff being the problem but now that you mention it my car dis seem to go soft about 5 minutes into a run. Never had a traction problem but our track is high grip. I didn't get this soft feeling with the ball diff.

I was skeptical about the ball diff at first but I'm trying everything to get the car to rotate the turns better. It definitely helped and I think it is a big step in the right direction to free up the rear and get more consistency out of the car. I only have two races on it but it felt great. I Personally I like it more than the gear diff. Definitely something to try.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ok guys i ordered my FGX and it should arrive tomorrow, the only additional i ordered for it were the speed gear set.

What other options should i get for this car and why, this is my first 2wd car and i am hanging out to get it ?

Also will a micro KO servo fit into this car or do you have to use a low profile std size servo ?

Also im not sure does the body come in the kit or is this sold seperatley ?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.