Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I wonder if the McKune chassis will accept the front shock/rocker arm setup from 3 Racing for the FGX? I hope so, as that will make the car even more scale realistic!

thats why i am backing off until that comes out! i made a brace for the stock upper that keeps both front tires on the ground! i have a feeling when they release that kit it will come with a new upper deck and it will more than likely also be stronger. i like the look of the stock piece

still have to complete the driver and a few minor things but i like it:

Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looking good.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MAD916
The springs are CRC red. Been also testin with greens and purple
is there a link for the part?

thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
is there a link for the part?

thanks

at CRC CRC Springs
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by texastc
many thanks once again i read that the red spring is popular choice? is the kit spring class as soft or firm

thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
Prototype Rev 1.1 complete.

Everything went together very good. Plenty of room for electronics now. did a quick wiring job. Eventually I will shorten up the wires and clean it up. The way the front arms mount directly to the center block allows them to be mounted lower. This will increase camber gain. By adding spacers I can get back to stock height.

Testing at Timezone this afternoon.

Troy
How did testing go? We are pretty anxious to hear.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Probably so good he's still turning laps.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

sorry we were up late last night working with Troy's conversion... Very promissing but Troy as the perfectionsit that he is has a couple items he wants to revise... got the car down to a couple tenth off mine and Rick 's 14.7 fast time.... I am sure he will come on here and let us know, but Rev 1.1very good start.

We will also have the CRC spring back in stock the next day os so... got wiped out of them since these cars take two instead of the single pan car shock....

http://www.timezonehobbies.com/store...ort=20a&page=7
Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It's a Savage Spanker for sure, and a thing of beauty.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Skunk Works FGX

Prototype Rev 1.1 TESTING

Test Notes:

The testing went very good. I ended up shaving a half second per lap through the night as I dialed it in. I am still off the pace of Mark and Rick but they have had there cars on the track for almost 2 months. This is my second week. I need a rear sway bar (no stock at TZ). I upgraded to the Rev 2 lower arms with the nylon balls and that smoothed out the front end a bit. The chassis is stiffer than stock and required a little more front neg camber for steering. As far as looks and electronics placement I am extremely pleased.

Positives:
1. Stiffens front end.
2. Was able to run Duo 3 with up to 33 tooth pinion without shaving chassis.
3. Much cleaner electronics placement and better access to servo and linkage.
4. Looks good and is a great direct replacement.
5. Because the front upper arms mount directly to the suspension mount block I am able to raise or lower inner pivot point. I will test this more on Sunday.

Things I want to improve:
1. The front end still pivots on 2 center standoffs just like stock. No matter how stiff you make the top deck it is hard to control the flex between the top deck and chassis in the front end.
2. I am still thinking of ways to make a better top loading battery solution. I would like to eliminate the tape as well.
3. Next revision will have a way to tune the flex of the chassis through different top decks.

This is my second week with the FGX. I built it last week and ran it stock. The FGX is a great very inexpensive car and I like some things very much. The rear end is great. The gear diff was way better than expected. The linkage for the rear shocks is tight and precise. The servo placement is necessary but a pain with its linkage. The plastics are better than expected. The front end has some issues: to change caster you change wheelbase, the top deck pivots on two center points, no adjustable camber, and huge amounts of slop in the front axles. Another issue with the car is the lack of spacers between the bearings in the hubs. This means you cannot shim behind the pin. When you do and lock down the wheels it binds the bearings. A spacer in between (like on every touring car on the planet) would eliminate this and reduce the slop.

Conclusion:

Great first night. So far I have a very good direct replacement for the stock chassis that improves clearance on the motor, electronics placement, and reduces flex. Next is making it even better with more tuning options and better battery solution.

Troy

Last edited by Troy Mckune; 01-27-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune

Conclusion:

Great first night. So far I have a very good direct replacement for the stock chassis that improves clearance on the motor, electronics placement, and reduces flex. Next is making it even better with more tuning options and better battery solution.

Troy

Very good news indeed.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Excellent progress Troy!! Keep up the good work, it will be worth the wait for the final version that will be ready for the public. I don't mind waiting as you sweat the details and get it right! If version 1.1 is this good, just imagine what the finished version will be like!!

Glad to see you don't like taping the battery either; I'm quite confident that you will come up with a good solution. I like the idea of different top decks to tune the chassis.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

What other bodies fit the FGX?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This my Rabbit. Very close to complete. I have run it in a slighty different configuration and it was VERY fast/consistant. The odd front arms were just to compare difference in caster. I wanted to do the upgrade around a shorty pack to keep the car as narrow as possible. All th electronics are between the motor and battery.
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-f60.jpg   3 racing new F1-fgx1.jpg   3 racing new F1-fgx2.jpg   3 racing new F1-fgx3.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Last edited by Badman Racer; 01-27-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.