Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing
He broke the upper. I had the v2 arms on mine as well.
I had a marshal fire another car directly in front of me , while steaming onto the straight. Destroyed the front axle bearings on one side , but didnt break the new upper. I also tested them very well throughout the night. They are a lot stiffer and definitely beefier in general.
I will grab some shimizu mediums to try up front. It was hooking the rear around , like a mini running the wrong front tyres.......
I had the same problem and ended up slowing the servo down a ton and changed the exp. The servo was responding way to fast.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing
He broke the upper. I had the v2 arms on mine as well.
I had a marshal fire another car directly in front of me , while steaming onto the straight. Destroyed the front axle bearings on one side , but didnt break the new upper. I also tested them very well throughout the night. They are a lot stiffer and definitely beefier in general.
I will grab some shimizu mediums to try up front. It was hooking the rear around , like a mini running the wrong front tyres.......
You will be happy with the medium grooves ps front tires. The softs make the cars front end way to agtessive. Also get some wider hexes to increase front track width. That combination is the only thing that stopped my front end from hopping in the corners.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my upper deck mod held up today. Not a lot of track time with the FGX but when I was out there I hit everything in sight. No damage. First time I ever ran it long enough to drain battery without having to make an order from TQ. Id say that's a step in the right direction.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shoe
Can we get a picture.
I will pull the too deck off and post pics tomorrow. Its not pretty but it works
Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Ran the rabbit today. Ran it all day in practice, raced two qualifiers and a main. Finished second AND DIDN'T BREAK ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!! This conversion rocks. Hit the wall a few times, jumped off the track once, T boned another car that spun out at medium speed. Had some hits that would have sent the stock fgx to the pits for repair. One hit I thought for sure the front end was done but it kept driving perfectly straight. Sounds like a rough day but I got in a lot of track time.

Need to continue tuning. Believe it or not the conversion has too much front end bite. I went with the yellow f201 rear springs with a little pre load, 60wt shock oil, stiffest sway bar, hpi medium rears with full compound, stiffest f104 front springs and tamiya stock 104 fronts with no compound. Finally got the car to push a little. I think I can stiffen the rear a little more to get rid of the push. When I first started tuning I couldn't get the rear to hook up at all but throughout the day I finally tuned in the push.

Might try the f201 gold springs and 80wt. The inside front tire is still getting very light. Couldn't bring myself to try it tonight because I fought a loose rear all day until right before the race. May just need to compound the fronts a little.

If you are serious about running the fgx independent rear suspension or if you are like me and too stubborn to switch over to a f104 or f109 then you will be happy with the conversion. Its a little pricey to convert over but it was worth it. For the first time I was able to race the car without fear. It was so nice to drive and not worry about the arms or the upper deck.

By the way, I do have another fgx waiting on the independent front design. Anyone hear any updates?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

i like to hear good news about the rabbit conversion did you try tamiya medium front or tamiya hard? i have a question,has there every been a 17mm hex to fit over a 4mm axle with a pin? and where can i find f201 springs?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by racer robert
You will be happy with the medium grooves ps front tires. The softs make the cars front end way to agtessive. Also get some wider hexes to increase front track width. That combination is the only thing that stopped my front end from hopping in the corners.
Thanks, I will order up some medium fronts and space the front tyres out.
I also thought my 3* rear toe setting may have been making it dump over off power too.
More items to test once the alloy bulkheads arrive......
Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'd like to see a CF upper deck conversion that keeps the front end the same, relatively anyway. Maybe in two or more pieces so the battery could be removed from the top fairly easily, maybe even a shorty/standard option set. Speaking of which a better battery retaining system, right now you either tape it in as you build it, or fight with it later like I did. I've already removed my battery door and put the electronics in front of the battery to balance the car a little more to my liking. My thought would be a rear plate that the dampers and rear chassis brace mount to, a front plate that the arms and steering rack mount to and one in between held down by thumb screws. And finally, lift the steering linkage from the servo saver to the rack by a couple mm for better battery clearance. 25.5mm just isn't enough space.
EXCELLENT information! this is the type of info i need, i will order the car tomorrow and get crackin with Autocad next week. do you mind sending this information to [email protected] when you get a chance please. It dificult to keep up with all of my ventures via PM and forums!!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
i like to hear good news about the rabbit conversion did you try tamiya medium front or tamiya hard? i have a question,has there every been a 17mm hex to fit over a 4mm axle with a pin? and where can i find f201 springs?
I got my springs from a friend that had spares. Mine are color coded differently but these should work.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...p_keyword=f201

The tires were the stock replacement tires for the f104. I believe they are a medium compound. I was able to tune from a loose rear to a slight push without changing the front tires at all. I would like to try more front tires but I only had the one set to play with.

I don't know about the hexes but check rcmart.com
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by texastc
my upper deck mod held up today. Not a lot of track time with the FGX but when I was out there I hit everything in sight. No damage. First time I ever ran it long enough to drain battery without having to make an order from TQ. Id say that's a step in the right direction.
Very cool!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

3racing Facebook page says the rear springs are coming soon. Hopefully really soon.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

We had 8 cars on the track yesterday and all held up quite well, with the link front suspension.... we have all started using the CRC Springs from the encore shock either red soft, green stiffer, or purple stiffest. had all three combinations on a couple cars and all seemed to be quicker than the stock springs all had 80wt oil. I will say I am now up to probably 35 runs on my original set of Shimizu 0561/0565 and they still produce pretty quick times....

the cars were a smash hit with some of our other drivers and should have the rest of our stock sold and 16 of them out for our next race...
Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Just did some bashing with my FGX in front of the house. Basically just doing a lot of slides and speed runs mixed in with a couple of big smacks with the curbing. no breakages on the front end. Before upgrades, I would have needed a broom and a pail to carry the FGX back inside. Car is fun out on the street, squealing tires really brighten up the mood. This car may make it back for actually racing after all. Might give it at least one heat this weekend.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
EXCELLENT information! this is the type of info i need, i will order the car tomorrow and get crackin with Autocad next week. do you mind sending this information to [email protected] when you get a chance please. It dificult to keep up with all of my ventures via PM and forums!!
Will do. I'll get to gathering some of the other ideas that have been posted as well.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Will do. I'll get to gathering some of the other ideas that have been posted as well.
Ill throw some in too, but so far, LilJohn has the same ideas that I'm wanting. Definitely would like to keep the high nose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.