Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How many of the FGX guys are planning on the Nats? I want to get an idea of the size of the F1 class. Id like for the F1 guys to do some special stuff, maybe a unofficial Concours or just getting together and setting up my car From the PMs and emails I am getting, looks to be a good showing of F1 brewing. I'm getting pretty excited about this, looks to be a lot of fun. I will be racing F1 and maybe VTA. VTA was my main class until F1 hit us hard, if I get my VTA car back together I might enter.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

F1 is blowing up in houston!! last week 6 people bought them and more on the way! out first race is this coming sunday and it looks promising! expecting at least a dozen and we have a new parking lot track opening in March with F1 being the premier class!

I plan on coming up for the warm up and i think a few others are too.
our thread has over 3000 views in less than a week!
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...390763&page=21
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Ha! I joined that site like 4 years ago and forgot about it. Thats great about your F1 class, Ill be reading that thread and seeing whats goin on down there.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
hello
so the kit oil is 2000 and you use 55,i am confuse. why are the number so great in difference?

thanks
Sounds like the kit 70wt. shock oil will work in the dif.

Last edited by shoe; 02-01-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
In Badman's post pic 4. What front arms are these?
Troy
The front end is F103. The alloy arm is a GPM but with on camber adjustment as I was trying to get the F103GT knuckles to work with no joy. I have opted for the F109 upper arms to get camber adjustment and am using the FGX knuckles to retain the hexes for TITC. The wider front seems to be really stable.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Shamless plug...

...but I'm selling my FGX with Rabbit conversion. Check out the for sale section.
FGX Rabbit - ARTR + Options
Good deal IMO, for someone looking to get into F1..

Regards
Ed
Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Default UF1 Series

6th race of the 2012 UF1 Winter series will be this Saturday February 4th at TQ raceway in Chino California...
Doors open at 10 AM and qualifying starts at noon....

http://uf1series.com/index.html
Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Skunk Works FGX

Prototype Rev 2.0

Race night at Timezone II.

Notes:
New Revtech 21.5
New Swaybar kit

I machined a new 2 piece top deck and made standoffs that fit where the battery stop mounts. The idea was to lock in the front end and have a separate back top deck that would remove for easier access to the battery. Unscrew four screws, tilt it back and you can remove the battery. This way you wouldn't have to pop off the steering linkage or mess with the front suspension.

First run: Duo 3 one piece top deck. 15.4 sec laps
Second run: Revtech geared 33/39, #5 sway bar, one piece top deck. 14.7 - 14.8 fast laps. The car was fantastic. very good steering and no hint of traction rolls. I could drive the car hard into corners and power out with great steering.
3rd run: Same but geared the Revtech 32/35. Great with 14.6 fast laps. Only 3 of us hit 14.6 sec laps all night.
4th run: same but with 2 piece top deck. 14.8 sec laps. Some how it lost a step.

In qualifying I ran the same as run 4 and had a fast 14.9 but I could not get down to the earlier runs. In the second qualifier I hit left front and had a tweak from then on. The car pulled left and became tippy on right hand turns.

In the main I finished second and the car was pretty good until I hit left front again. The same tweak to the left occurred and the car traction rolled to the right. I drove through it but it stayed bad until the end.

Conclusion: I am giving up on the two piece top deck. I am sure I could keep on messing with it and get it better but it will never be as good as the one piece. Even though it lessens the work to switch batteries it is not worth compromising the integrity of the car. I have ran 15+ runs including 40 minutes worth of mains on the one piece top deck with many crashes, hits, rolls, etc. and never once did the car develop a tweak.

Back to Rev 1.1. I am getting real close. Just need to source a few spacers and sexy up the front block.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-md-gfx-rev-2.0-top-deck.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Prototype Rev 2.0

Notes:
New Revtech 21.5
New Swaybar kit

I machined a new 2 piece top deck and made standoffs that fit where the battery stop mounts. The idea was to lock in the front end and have a separate back top deck that would remove for easier access to the battery. Unscrew four screws, tilt it back and you can remove the battery. This way you wouldn't have to pop off the steering linkage or mess with the front suspension.

Second run: Revtech geared 33/39, #5 sway bar, one piece top deck. 14.7 - 14.8 fast laps. The car was fantastic. very good steering and no hint of traction rolls. I could drive the car hard into corners and power out with great steering.
3rd run: Same but geared the Revtech 32/35. Great with 14.6 fast laps. Only 3 of us hit 14.6 sec laps all night.
4th run: same but with 2 piece top deck. 14.8 sec laps. Some how it lost a step.

In qualifying I ran the same as run 4 and had a fast 14.9 but I could not get down to the earlier runs. In the second qualifier I hit left front and had a tweak from then on. The car pulled left and became tippy on right hand turns.

In the main I finished second and the car was pretty good until I hit left front again. The same tweak to the left occurred and the car traction rolled to the right. I drove through it but it stayed bad until the end.

Conclusion: I am giving up on the two piece top deck. I am sure I could keep on messing with it and get it better but it will never be as good as the one piece. Even though it lessens the work to switch batteries it is not worth compromising the integrity of the car. I have ran 15+ runs including 40 minutes worth of mains on the one piece top deck with many crashes, hits, rolls, etc. and never once did the car develop a tweak.

Back to Rev 1.1. I am getting real close. Just need to source a few spacers and sexy up the front block.

Troy
Im convinced, do you take Paypal?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
Im convinced, do you take Paypal?
+1 : looks and sounds great !

Out of interest , has anyone tried the 3racing carbon lower deck ?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Prototype Rev 2.0

Notes:
New Revtech 21.5
New Swaybar kit

Troy
+1 do you take paypal
would love to try this down here in Oz
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Prototype Rev 2.0

Notes:
New Revtech 21.5
New Swaybar kit

Troy
Hats off to you sir. Nice to see how a quality product is developed.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Prototype Rev 2.0

Notes:
New Revtech 21.5
New Swaybar kit

Troy

Very nice work. Hope to see the released version at my house very soon. Rob, you might want to get one of these to play around with.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I LOVE the McKune conversion for the FGX. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is that it looks like you have to tape the battery in. Now I know I'm going to probably get flamed for this, but I can't stand taping batteries in cars; it's so archaic and last century. It just plain bugs me! I know that some of you are going to think I'm silly, but I just don't like taping batteries in the car. When I get one of these I'm going to come up with some other way to keep the battery in place. Sorry

While on the subject of battery; is there a way to mount the new "shorty" style 2S lipo packs?

One might try velcro straps, (just a thought)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

i just assembeled my f1. i used as many pink bits as i could find, as i will only run it a few times before it goes up on the shelf. 3 have done a great job, such a joy to put together.
The aluminium motor mount and support(some of the pink bits) limit motor choice, the motors need to be just under 50mm length and strickly 36mm diameter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.