R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #1336
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
I just got some hexes for my zero. Tried to swap to the FGX but didn't seem to fit. I have the aluminium steering blocks, guess I'll stock up on bearings.
I had to take down the lip on the aluminum ones with a bevel bit to fit the fronts. The rears hubs worked just fine.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #1337
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Vector View Post
I'm using Corally hexes with alloy knuckles. The bearings flap around just as badly as the plastic because it's the axle that's 3 thou smaller than the ID of bearing !! Still pissy bearings of that size. I went thru a period of massive traction rolls that managed to pull the axle right thru the inside bearing turning my car into a tripod. Not so very good.

Jacko............
Wow. I haven't had that type of problem. I did blow a bearing out but it was because of the plastic hex. I converted to the rabbit so now I'm using f104 bearings. I know, not much help.

Would it be possible to coat the axle in something? 3 thou is not much to take up but its also too small to wrap. I'm thinking of maybe a zinc or chrome plating on the axle. Check at your hobby shop and see if someone they know may have a home plating kit. You could even paint the axle just to try the theory out. The paint may not last but it should give you an idea if the plating would work or not. Again maybe not the easiest solution but it might work if someone else doesn't have a better idea. Sorry if if sounds crazy but its late here and I'm tired. its the best I've got right now.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #1338
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo View Post
does anyone else find some movement of the rear arms on the hinge pin?
I havent noticed any excessive movement but I don't have a lot of track time on the arms either. Saturday will be another long test and race day. I will be sure to keep an eye on them to see if they are wearing.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #1339
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

I already posted this in the G-Top thread, but it belongs here and I've added some detail for this crowd:

Fine, I'll say what I'd like to see with this kind of update. I want the bottom plate, but I want the option to get one that is just for the FGX without the extra F104 front piece. I want the F104 battery plate/upper deck (the "u" shaped piece) to remain the same. Then I want the battery retainer plate (the 5 point piece) to have the mounting holes added for the FGX rear suspension and lengthened in the front to reach the steering rack screw hole. Then just cut the current upper deck right at the point where it now breaks (or add a carbon piece to replace that front section and add the nose cone and camber plate mount). Then I have the best of both worlds, a top loaded battery including better retention with the stiffness of carbon fiber and the proper scale appearance of a modern F1 car.

To take it a step farther. Make it so a shorty can be mounted 90* from normal, it will fit under the widest part of the body easily. I think all it would take is to the make the two upper deck support holes be spaced at the width of the battery (current standard is between 47.5 to 46.5 mm roughly). Add some battery taping fins, like the F103 upper deck, to an optional upper deck to secure the battery. Then I can mount the ESC and Receiver in the back. Then put the Servo down the center, with the saver turned 180* with shorter linkage or even a direct steering option without linkage.


Now its your turn, make some noise! Maybe 3Racing, Rabbit, G-Top and Tamiya will listen.


__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #1340
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Falls, NY
Posts: 872
Default

+1
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #1341
Tech Apprentice
 
Luosi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 59
Default

Today was the first time I got to drive my FGX, and I have a SEVERE handling issue. Basically I cannot get the car to stay in a straight line under braking, it just sways one way to the other, giving me pretty much no confidence. It even sways when I'm trying to do a straight line, I have played with servo settings and everything to try and stop it, but nothing has worked. Its basically the must UNSTABLE RC I have ever driven!

Has anyone else had this issue? How do I stop it?????
Luosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #1342
Tech Initiate
 
rickthejetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosi View Post
Today was the first time I got to drive my FGX, and I have a SEVERE handling issue. Basically I cannot get the car to stay in a straight line under braking, it just sways one way to the other, giving me pretty much no confidence. It even sways when I'm trying to do a straight line, I have played with servo settings and everything to try and stop it, but nothing has worked. Its basically the must UNSTABLE RC I have ever driven!

Has anyone else had this issue? How do I stop it?????
make sure every corner of the car is setup EXACTLY the same. any tweak in the suspension will cause sever handling issues. the rear is kinda hard to get perfect. lots of links and the down stops.
rickthejetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #1343
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosi View Post
Today was the first time I got to drive my FGX, and I have a SEVERE handling issue. Basically I cannot get the car to stay in a straight line under braking, it just sways one way to the other, giving me pretty much no confidence. It even sways when I'm trying to do a straight line, I have played with servo settings and everything to try and stop it, but nothing has worked. Its basically the must UNSTABLE RC I have ever driven!

Has anyone else had this issue? How do I stop it?????
I wouldn't be blaming the car ... it will be user build issues. As the last post said, go back over your build and make sure everything is correct
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #1344
Tech Apprentice
 
Luosi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 59
Default

I've looked over everything the best I can, it all seems in order. Guess I'll just have to have a play with it.

But still, if anyone has any general setup ideas, I'd love to hear them

Last edited by Luosi; 01-21-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Luosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #1345
Tech Initiate
 
rickthejetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosi View Post
I've looked over everything the best I can, it all seems in order. Guess I'll just have to read through this thread and have a play with it. But still, if anyone has had issues like this and knows a good solution, I'd love to hear it
check the length of your shocks then move on to the shock links then check that your down stops.. stop the arms at equal lengths. on the front make sure you don't have any tweak by doing the quarter test. if both quarters don't drop off the wheels at the same time make sure you don't have a collapsed spring of that all your spacer are in and in the right place. make sure you don't have to much toe out on the front i usually run straigh or 0 toe.
be methodical on you suspension its the only way to get it right.
rickthejetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #1346
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I already posted this in the G-Top thread, but it belongs here and I've added some detail for this crowd:

Fine, I'll say what I'd like to see with this kind of update. I want the bottom plate, but I want the option to get one that is just for the FGX without the extra F104 front piece. I want the F104 battery plate/upper deck (the "u" shaped piece) to remain the same. Then I want the battery retainer plate (the 5 point piece) to have the mounting holes added for the FGX rear suspension and lengthened in the front to reach the steering rack screw hole. Then just cut the current upper deck right at the point where it now breaks (or add a carbon piece to replace that front section and add the nose cone and camber plate mount). Then I have the best of both worlds, a top loaded battery including better retention with the stiffness of carbon fiber and the proper scale appearance of a modern F1 car.

To take it a step farther. Make it so a shorty can be mounted 90* from normal, it will fit under the widest part of the body easily. I think all it would take is to the make the two upper deck support holes be spaced at the width of the battery (current standard is between 47.5 to 46.5 mm roughly). Add some battery taping fins, like the F103 upper deck, to an optional upper deck to secure the battery. Then I can mount the ESC and Receiver in the back. Then put the Servo down the center, with the saver turned 180* with shorter linkage or even a direct steering option without linkage.


Now its your turn, make some noise! Maybe 3Racing, Rabbit, G-Top and Tamiya will listen.



i recieved both of my FGX's today so i will start messing with all of these things over the next few months.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1347
Tech Fanatic
 
mingnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sutherland Shire
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosi View Post
Today was the first time I got to drive my FGX, and I have a SEVERE handling issue. Basically I cannot get the car to stay in a straight line under braking, it just sways one way to the other, giving me pretty much no confidence. It even sways when I'm trying to do a straight line, I have played with servo settings and everything to try and stop it, but nothing has worked. Its basically the must UNSTABLE RC I have ever driven!

Has anyone else had this issue? How do I stop it?????
Going to sound stupid, but happened to me.
(1) Had similar issue, steering was a bit "wierd" pretty much everywhere. Turns out the arm from the servo to front wheels was rubbing on the top of the battery i was using. I didnt tape the battery in, and when driving it was shifting minimally and knocking around on the servo link.
(2) Also had to turn down the breaking to just about zero, car got "squirelly" when it was turned up anywhere near 50%
hope that helps
__________________
---------------------------SMA The Home of GREAT Racing------------------------------
mingnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #1348
Tech Apprentice
 
Luosi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingnon View Post
(1) Had similar issue, steering was a bit "wierd" pretty much everywhere. Turns out the arm from the servo to front wheels was rubbing on the top of the battery i was using. I didnt tape the battery in, and when driving it was shifting minimally and knocking around on the servo link.
We have a winner....looks like this was the issue, the battery moving around rubbing against the servo arm. Is taping the battery in the only solution?

I also adjusted my shocks and it feels better as well... so thanks for the tips
Luosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #1349
Tech Fanatic
 
mingnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sutherland Shire
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosi View Post
We have a winner....looks like this was the issue, the battery moving around rubbing against the servo arm. Is taping the battery in the only solution?

I also adjusted my shocks and it feels better as well... so thanks for the tips
i changed to a smaller height battery and it solved the issue, was using some batteries got from fleabay and since changing to intellect one havent had issues

was thinking i was the only one with that issue, glad could help in a small way.
__________________
---------------------------SMA The Home of GREAT Racing------------------------------
mingnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #1350
Tech Elite
 
MAD916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Center Seca
Posts: 3,117
Default

We had the same issues with one of the cars built by one of our racers... bad pull to the right on brake and some at throtle.... thought it was a drive train issue, but turned out to mostly be setup and tweak...
__________________
Timezone Raceway Park " on-road outdoor european style road course.
Timezone II 60'x100' indoor carpet track. Host of the ROAR 2011 Carpet Nat's.
Timezonehobbies.com your new source for online RC products.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI's new F1 PhatPat Electric On-Road 1173 10-10-2013 12:18 AM
new F1 !!! il-gufo Electric On-Road 29 03-26-2011 11:17 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:01 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0