R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #1096
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbruin View Post
What ESC and motor setups are you guys using for your FGX's? I don't race competitively so I'm running a Traxxas VXL-3m 1/16 motor cuz it fits nicely into the available space. I couldn't run this in any class can I? What should I be getting if I don't want to spend over $300 on a combo setup??? Is the Novak Edge 2S a good buy? it's $151 shipped on Ebay..

I have:

Castle Sidewinder 5700kv (CM36) currently in my TA05 IFS,
Castle Mamba Max with HPI 5700kv motor in Tamiya F201
Novak Ballistic gtb (orange) with 4300kv motor in MLP F201

Thanks...
I'm running the edge with a ballistic 21.5. Love the edge. Small footprint easy to mount lots of adjustments.

Like the power of the ballistic but these motors like to run hot without a fan. With the limited airflow it still gets too hot for me to be comfortable. Even with the body vents open it still runs hot. I'm thinking of trying a different motor but I will keep the edge.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #1097
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 73
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I'm running the edge with a ballistic 21.5. Love the edge. Small footprint easy to mount lots of adjustments.

Like the power of the ballistic but these motors like to run hot without a fan. With the limited airflow it still gets too hot for me to be comfortable. Even with the body vents open it still runs hot. I'm thinking of trying a different motor but I will keep the edge.
What gearing are you using? Perhaps you are over-gearing??
hkbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #1098
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbruin View Post
What gearing are you using? Perhaps you are over-gearing??
31 pinion 35 spur. Others have posted 34 pinion 35 spur without problems. Running in 70 degree ambient temperature. It may be over geared a little but the ballistic is known to run hotter than other motors. I'm going to try 28 35 and see how it runs. Honestly I think that gearing may be better for our smaller track. Save the larger pinion for longer outdoor tracks.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #1099
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Or try to mount a esc fan for a little air flow. Ballistic motors in my vta and sc truck respond extremely well to a little air flow.Not bashing the ballistic at all. I love the motor just need to keep it cooler.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #1100
Tech Elite
 
mxrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N. GA.
Posts: 4,426
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Or try to mount a esc fan for a little air flow. Ballistic motors in my vta and sc truck respond extremely well to a little air flow.Not bashing the ballistic at all. I love the motor just need to keep it cooler.
Heat is bad, M'kay. You didn't know I was out here did you?. Get that thing ready. I will do all I can to be at the F1 series next month. I'm sitting here with 6 cars ready to turn back into a kit, some reassembly required.
__________________
I park faster than most people drive.
mxrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #1101
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
Heat is bad, M'kay. You didn't know I was out here did you?. Get that thing ready. I will do all I can to be at the F1 series next month. I'm sitting here with 6 cars ready to turn back into a kit, some reassembly required.
It will be ready for sure. just got some replacement front arms and I'm going to order 2 more sets next week. Hopefully I can get the v2 arms and save some reinforcement work.

3 cars ran tonight. 2 f109s and 1 fgx. looks like we will have at least 4 fgxs 3 f109s 1 f104 maybe 2 and whichever chassis you decide to run. Not a bad field for a class that just got talked about last month. I think we will continue to draw more drivers to the class.

As a side note I just went overboard and traded a buggy for a 1/12. I must be crazy.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #1102
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,280
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
Heat is bad, M'kay. You didn't know I was out here did you?. Get that thing ready. I will do all I can to be at the F1 series next month. I'm sitting here with 6 cars ready to turn back into a kit, some reassembly required.
1 kit from 6 cars... use tools and not a hammer to disassemble.

You out west and going to attend one of those races?
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #1103
Tech Elite
 
mxrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N. GA.
Posts: 4,426
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
1 kit from 6 cars... use tools and not a hammer to disassemble.

You out west and going to attend one of those races?
6 cars ready. I'm going to finish something. I don't need hammers to break'em, the walls are always too close to the track.

Can't afford to go anywhere these days. I guess either nobody is hiring or they are not hiring me!
__________________
I park faster than most people drive.
mxrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #1104
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Georgia F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
6 cars ready. I'm going to finish something. I don't need hammers to break'em, the walls are always too close to the track.

Can't afford to go anywhere these days. I guess either nobody is hiring or they are not hiring me!
Hey George, I hear ya on the hiring thing! Lost my job Sept. '10 and nothing yet! "luckily" I turned the magic "62" and retired! SO far so good but my wife still works

Anyway, although I'll probably be busy during the Holidays, I want to to get over to HotShots and try my F1's ASAP! What's the best way to find out when they'll run? The web site didn't mention F1 last time I looked, do they run F1 whenever they run on-road? I probably would come early and practice as we don't do carpet in Easley.

Merry Christmas and a better New Year!
Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #1105
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Hey George, I hear ya on the hiring thing! Lost my job Sept. '10 and nothing yet! "luckily" I turned the magic "62" and retired! SO far so good but my wife still works

Anyway, although I'll probably be busy during the Holidays, I want to to get over to HotShots and try my F1's ASAP! What's the best way to find out when they'll run? The web site didn't mention F1 last time I looked, do they run F1 whenever they run on-road? I probably would come early and practice as we don't do carpet in Easley.

Merry Christmas and a better New Year!
Ned
Anytime on road is running the f1 class will run if at least 3 show up. Brad has one so really only 2 need to show. The points series will be on Saturdays and regular racing on Wednesday. Points for vta and 1/12 are Wednesday.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #1106
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Anytime on road is running the f1 class will run if at least 3 show up. Brad has one so really only 2 need to show. The points series will be on Saturdays and regular racing on Wednesday. Points for vta and 1/12 are Wednesday.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna shoot for practice and race Jan 4. Is the VTA 25.5 and approved ESC's?

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #1107
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna shoot for practice and race Jan 4. Is the VTA 25.5 and approved ESC's?

Ned
VTA is 25.5 and approved escs. Since Jan 4 is not a points race (new series starts on the 11) the cars won't go through a full tech. Racers honor that you are following the vta rule set.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #1108
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Hey George, I hear ya on the hiring thing! Lost my job Sept. '10 and nothing yet! "luckily" I turned the magic "62" and retired! SO far so good but my wife still works

Anyway, although I'll probably be busy during the Holidays, I want to to get over to HotShots and try my F1's ASAP! What's the best way to find out when they'll run? The web site didn't mention F1 last time I looked, do they run F1 whenever they run on-road? I probably would come early and practice as we don't do carpet in Easley.

Merry Christmas and a better New Year!
Ned
Hi Ned, Andy Wallace here from Carbondale, IL. I had hoped to come down and run the last couple of weeks in January, if there is a race then. I hope to bring a couple of others down with me. I am looking foward to seeing George, Dexter, Chris, Doc, Chad and all my other racing buddy's in Georgia. Hope to meet you in person then as well! Andy
alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #1109
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Shanghai China
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer robert View Post
Front
Shimizu grooved soft
3* caster/2* camber/zero toe
.018" springs
ride height 5mm
7mm wheel hexes for more track width

Rear
Shimizu grooved soft
2* camber/1* toe
stock FGX springs/oil with 3 o-rings used as a bump stop to keep the chassis from bottoming in the corners (really want to just get stiffer springs whenever they are available)
Added 1mm shim to the ball end that the shock connects to for more leverage over the suspension (also to make the spring seem stiffer)
6mm ride height.
what size of rear roll bar you used?
thx
jimmyqian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #1110
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 325
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

The thickest one in the kit. Also lately I have been using the medium grooved front tires. This is on medium grip ozite carpet.
racer robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI's new F1 PhatPat Electric On-Road 1173 10-10-2013 12:18 AM
new F1 !!! il-gufo Electric On-Road 29 03-26-2011 11:17 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:06 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0