R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #61
Tech Fanatic

To all those who keep saying that this new car will not be able to compete straight up with the straight axle pan F1's; you may be right. But who knows for sure?!! As I stated previously, no one here has seen or held this car for real, much less driven it to see how it really performs. You are all playing "armchair quarterback". Wait till you can do an actual head to head comparison before you judge it's performance.

Besides, the point I have been trying to make all along is not which design is the fastest, but which direction F1 rc racing should ultimately take. F1 rc racing has kind of limped along for years and years with no real direction. Different designs have been tried and some have failed. The class it self comes and goes. So the question we F1 rc racers need to ask ourselves is which is more important in the long run, and for the future of F1 rc racing. Do we want to just keep the "staus quo" because it's simple and comfortable, and we prefer all-out performance; or should F1 rc fully embrace the scale realism that it has flirted with for 20 years and see the manufacturers build fully scale realistic F1 cars that not only look very real but also offer excellent performance that, while it may not be as light and fast in a straight line as a direct drive straight axle car, it would still offer more than enough speed to make it fun to drive and race. I don't think this car will be that much slower than a straight axle design. I bet they will be a lot closer than many think. And outdoors on a less than perfect parking lot the 3 racing car may prove to have an advantage due to it's suspension and slightly heavier weight. We will have to wait and see.

I wonder when 3 racing is going to put it up on it's website and give us a price?
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I will say this, Every time a new TC is released, there is a list of chassi that everyone will say it looks like. No one can say that this F1 chassis looks like anything else on the market.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #63
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

it looks like the f201. just minus the 4wd system
pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 AM   #64
Tech Master

I like it. Not sure it will be on the same level as 103/109, but I don't think it's supposed to be.
As mentioned, if it can take a 13.5 on the drive-train, it will be a serious contender.
Our SC F1 class is pretty fast, but IMO that'a about all most F1's are good for power-wise without major mods, or traction additive.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #65
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
it looks like the f201. just minus the 4wd system
Oh Ok. I see. No one would ever notice a small detail like that. Never mind the absence of the front cantilever suspension and the longitudinally placed motor. I think you are way off here. I will give you that the rear suspension looks a lot like the F201, but thats as far as I can go on that.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 05-14-2011 at 01:40 PM.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Yeah, that baby link should be fun when the car starts to roll.
I like the front too. adjustable caster and camber as well.

Last edited by MatsNorway; 05-14-2011 at 07:34 AM.
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I like the car. I think its neat, new, interesting, and I want to try one. But I think it will get waxed when they start showing up at regular club races.
But what if those regular club races are in parking lots where grip is compromised by undulations and pavement cracks?

Pan cars work best in higher-grip or flowing style layouts, but this i.r.s. car might be better suited to tighter, parking lot conditions where a soft spring setup and lots of steering lock are ideal. Might being the operative word there.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #68
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I love this thing. I have a F103 and as much as I love it, I keep having a hard time finding parts for it. The F201 was great, but I think part of the flop was that it was pricey. I wanted one but couldn't afford it.

I think this chassis may be perfect for a spec class. Hand out motors and/or batteries, and let the drivers setup and driving skill determine the race.
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
But what if those regular club races are in parking lots where grip is compromised by undulations and pavement cracks?

Pan cars work best in higher-grip or flowing style layouts, but this i.r.s. car might be better suited to tighter, parking lot conditions where a soft spring setup and lots of steering lock are ideal. Might being the operative word there.
You may be right. It may well prove itself on rough surfaces.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #70
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
I love this thing. I have a F103 and as much as I love it, I keep having a hard time finding parts for it.

??? Ebay, Banzai, D.Drive, StellaModels just to name a couple off the top of my head.

I don't know why people are concerned whether or not it'll come out of the box as fast or faster than the benchmark F103. The 104 and 109 still aren't and they've been out for a while now. I don't count the Corally F1 because of the significant difference out of scale/non-realistic looks tires and front suspension = cheater.

What I hope this new chassis does is spur development of different design, just like the 104/109 have. I know, Cross and other have done the inline battery before but now it seems like there are number of choices out there for 2wheel rwd chassis. Shorter wheelbase wide track(103) longer w.b. narrow track(104), the TRG 111 (drool), t-bar rear, link rear, lets not forget Mantisworx and now an independent rear? I think it's great that 3racing is trying something different. They make good quality parts, so even if this comes out on the cheap/plasticky side, I'm sure there be upgrades available. Veva la differance, or whatever them Frenchies say.

No doubt I'll be adding one to the collection.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #71
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

This will definitely be a part of the stable of F1 models. The rear cantilever suspension, mid-ship motor placement and rubber tires might prove to be a fun drive. When I first got my F201, I was somewhat skeptical of the open wheeled + 4WD combination. As with anything with the hobby - you buy what you want. I'm really hoping to see better/true to scale aero and body pieces, even if it is only for static (display) purposes.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
What I hope this new chassis does is spur development of different design, just like the 104/109 have. I know, Cross and other have done the inline battery before but now it seems like there are number of choices out there for 2wheel rwd chassis. Shorter wheelbase wide track(103) longer w.b. narrow track(104), the TRG 111 (drool), t-bar rear, link rear, lets not forget Mantisworx and now an independent rear? I think it's great that 3racing is trying something different.... Veva la differance, or whatever them Frenchies say. No doubt I'll be adding one to the collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavant View Post
This will definitely be a part of the stable of F1 models. The rear cantilever suspension, mid-ship motor placement and rubber tires might prove to be a fun drive....
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #73
Tech Elite

When the 201 was out doing it's thing I grabbed a Traxxas touring car I had, put an f201 body on it, mounted the wings and presto! 4wd F1 car on the cheap. The thing actually looked and worked great with the HPI VTA tires and wheels. Most people did not even catch on to it until I told them.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Did I just ruin it for everybody???
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
Did I just ruin it for everybody???
The front suspension on a TC would be a dead give away it was not a F1 car. You cannot hide that with a f1 body.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote