We've heard from 3Racing that they are working on the design of an updated FGX - the Sakura FGX 2015. Early indications are for a March release but it's probably too early for them to be certain.
At RC Formula1 we love the FGX and have come up with this list of things we'd like 3Racing to retain and some other things we'd like them to review. What do you think of our list? Please post feedback and we'll collate the ideas and send the ones that appear to have popular support to 3Racing. We'd like to do this in one weeks time but it depends on how spirited the discussion is
Things we'd like to see retained:
1. current low price
2. double wishbone front suspension option
3. independent rear suspension with oil filled shocks
4. metric hex screws
5. clear access to the end bell of the motor so that timing can be adjusted without removing the motor
Things we'd like 3Racing to review and improve where practical:
1. Currently when positioning the motor as far forward on the stock motor mount as possible it hits the left hand post that supports the upper deck. This means that, in our testing, the largest pinion that will fit is a 29t (when using the optional 35t spur gear) giving a final drive ratio around 3.3. We modified our test FGX by drilling new holes in the upper and lower deck for this post and moved it forward about 9mm to allow larger pinions to be used. We would like to see pinions up to 39t fit without modifying the chassis or motor mount (when using the 35t spur).
2. We really like that you've used metric hex screws but they appear to strip more easily than we would like.
3. We would like to see most modern hard case 2S lipo batteries fit without needing to modify anything eg; the servo arm location. We would also like to see a rear battery stop to prevent the battery from rubbing on the motor.
4. That you need to remove the rear wing to access the diff and that the two vertical screws that hold the wing / diff housing can't be squarely accessed with a hex driver because they are overshadowed by the wing.
5. On a minor note we would like to see the internal gear ratio specified in the manual.
One that we're on the fence about
- should the wheel hex size be changed from 12mm to 14mm so that Tamiya wheels will fit (or perhaps offer a 14mm hex as an option)?
About RC Formula1
- for those of you who haven't heard of our website www.rcformula1.com.au
we are dedicated to promoting RC F1 racing and provide in depth news, tech tips and articles. In terms of readership we are the most popular RC F1 website in the world. The FGX is the 2nd most read about chassis on our site (after the Tamiya F104 V2) and we have articles on all popular, and many not so popular, F1 kits.