R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #4636
Tech Rookie

Default Trials and tribulations with the belt drive conversion

Well, i tried several things but it is difficult to find the right parts.

I am getting close to a working solution.

For the drive shaft, I got part number 3RAC-3PY/15 from rcmart

I got the hole bored out to 5 mm to fit on the drive shaft.
It is a tight fit but it works great.

Belts:

Don't bother with any of the 3 racing belts, they are all too long.
I found belts in Canada at a company called Fingertech robotics dot com
(This site still does not allow me to post HTTP links, go figure...)
Pulleys:
Next I had to find a pulley for the motor with a 3 mm center.
Found them at fingertechrobotics too.
Purchase a few different pulleys, a 16T, 18T and 22 T
They also have the shortest 3mm pitch belt I coud find so I got the 40T 120mm belt.

The pulleys needs to be bored out to 3.16mm.
Luckily, I work next door to a machine shop and the guys are old timers, very cool, a bottle of wine bought me a few favors there and they machined the 15T 3 racing pulley to 5mm for the drive shaft for free and the 22 T pulley to 3.16mm also.
So now, I have a functional belt drive from the motor to the drive shaft.
Next up, I am working on the secondary drive, also with belt.
Pictures to follow soon.
The biggest problem with converting this car is the very short play we have with motor positioning, forcing us to use very small belts, which are as hard to find as a needle in a hay stack.
If anybody has a source for 3mm pitch 3.5 or 4 mm wide short belts, 40 tooth job or less, it will make this a whole lot easier.
What really sucks is that this is taking time and winter is creaping in, I like to ride in large parking lots, and very soon, it will be all covered in snow. I hope to have a working system before hell freezes over!
While experimenting I wrote an email to 3Racing to tell them to please please please come out with an FGX V2 with a belt system, at least for the secondary drive to make things smooth. As I don't believe in Santa I doubt they will pay any attention to this but if they did, I believe they would have the best F1 on the market. The handling on this car is like no other. With a proper transmission, it would be at the top of the food chain.
Cheers,
F1Mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #4637
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds nice! Can't wait for pics

Mine will be reedy next week I hope...stay tuned
G-rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #4638
Tech Adept

Cool

Does the Sakura double wishbone option really add to the handling? Or does it just add a few more variables in to the mix?
RELIC RACING
loosewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #4639
Tech Addict

Guys...

It's been a while I was speaking about it and you've been waiting for it for a long long time.

Let me show you my Cal inspired conversion for the 3Racing FGX

Of course all is not over and I have to finish some parts (rear bulkhead are previous one, I have to cut the new ones) and adjust a few things but I wanted to share my work with you

I'll write soon a full review (with pictures) for all the modifications and more details will come soon.

Feel free to ask me any questions,
Regards,
G-rem
Old 09-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #4640
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosewheel View Post
Does the Sakura double wishbone option really add to the handling? Or does it just add a few more variables in to the mix?
It adds more corner on slippery surfaces allowing the chassis to roll better. You don't need it on carpet.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #4641
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Interesting! I don't do much asphalt anymore.
Thanks!
RELIC RACING
loosewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #4642
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=G-rem;13556394]Guys...

It's been a while I was speaking about it and you've been waiting for it for a long long time.

Let me show you my Cal inspired conversion for the 3Racing FGX....

G-Rem, fantastic work. I am drooling....
I gave up on my setup, not working very well.
I bought the same diff as you, let me know when you have a parts list together.
I have access to a machine shop so I can get stuff modified easily on a digital CNC machine.
I still have the original plastic rear bulkheads, I ordered the aluminum ones.
I guess this will be a little winter project now. The weather is going downhill from here but at least, it will be ready for the spring!
Thanks for sharing, wonderful work.
By the way, I emailed 3Racing and told them to work on an FGX V2 with belt drive (prop shaft to diff) and 64 pitch pinions motor to prop shaft. They answered, they say they will consider it. I told them this would put the FGX at the top of the foodchain. Goodbye Tamiya 104s....
Lets keep our fingers crossed, in the mean time, I want to do the same thing you did, it looks perfect. Good job man! I am jealous, but I am happy to see it is doable! Thanks for sharing, post more pics soon, and mostly, a video so we can hear how smooth it runs.
Perhaps the only thing I would worry about is the slight slack in the belt, maybe you can put a tensioner of sorts up top to keep her tight.
Regards,
Disregard the belt slack comment, was an optical illusion, looks perfect actually!

Last edited by F1Mtl; 09-25-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #4643
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Mtl View Post
G-Rem, fantastic work. I am drooling....
I gave up on my setup, not working very well.
I bought the same diff as you, let me know when you have a parts list together.
I have access to a machine shop so I can get stuff modified easily on a digital CNC machine.
I still have the original plastic rear bulkheads, I ordered the aluminum ones.
I guess this will be a little winter project now. The weather is going downhill from here but at least, it will be ready for the spring!
Thanks for sharing, wonderful work.
By the way, I emailed 3Racing and told them to work on an FGX V2 with belt drive (prop shaft to diff) and 64 pitch pinions motor to prop shaft. They answered, they say they will consider it. I told them this would put the FGX at the top of the foodchain. Goodbye Tamiya 104s....
Lets keep our fingers crossed, in the mean time, I want to do the same thing you did, it looks perfect. Good job man! I am jealous, but I am happy to see it is doable! Thanks for sharing, post more pics soon, and mostly, a video so we can hear how smooth it runs.
Perhaps the only thing I would worry about is the slight slack in the belt, maybe you can put a tensioner of sorts up top to keep her tight.
Regards,
Disregard the belt slack comment, was an optical illusion, looks perfect actually!
Thanks for the kind words man

Can you give us the email address you contacted 3R for the FGX V2? It will be great if I could send them pictures of my conversion and convince them to work on a similar way for their FGX V2, the more we are to ask them for it, the better

I'm almost done with the electronic installation, but don't know if I have to put the battery to the front or to the rear. I will try first to the front and I will see once on the track...so the video will come soon, with other pictures and review

I am planning to use Spec-R 34t diff (for the Xray T2), the aim is to lower the internal gear ratio. I am currently using 38t diff and 15t center pulley, so 2.53 internal gear ratio, which is a bit high I think...I'll let you know

Stay tuned, more informations to come
G-rem
Old 09-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #4644
Tech Rookie

Hi G-Rem,
Actually I used their website ''contact us'' form and was surprised they actually even replied. Judging from the reply, the email address seems to be:
contacts@3racing.com.hk
I took my FGX out yesterday for a spin with semi-belt conversion. (Motor to prop-shaft)
It absolutely flies. Very quiet but the gear that meshes with the diff does not like it when I floor it, I have to be gentle or I hear funny noises. With throttle management, I was able to go through a battery, about 25 minutes. It's a rocket. There is so much power and speed that I have to relax the throttle if I want to make a reasonably tight turn. Damn I love this car. Had a Tamiya before, boring, predictable and slow. This thing rips on 2S, I can't even imagine what it will do on 3S. My gear ratio is a little high too, the motor gets a little hot by the end of the run. I have to work on my front suspension, too stiff, and I am losing in handling. What shocks are you using? I need to be able to adjust the front suspension and the current IFS setup does not allow it. I want to convert the front end to real shocks. The friction dampers are not that great.
If 3Racing listens and upgrades this car some day, it will be the ultimate RC F1 on the market. The first time I took the car out, it tracked like it was on rails from the get go. My Tamiya F1 needed a lot of tweaking before it was anywhere close to what the FGX did on the first time out. I figure when I dial this car in properly, it will be out of this world. I have had a lot of 1/10 cars but the feeling I got out of the FGX cannot be described. And I can tell I can push this thing further. Keep up the great work men! Can't wait to see that thing on a video. I will take mine out tomorrow weather permitting and try to film it.
Cheers,
Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #4645
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

G-rem, that was awesome, sir. Hail to you!

I have stopped my modding since to pre-occupied with sim-racing. Now, after seeing your awesome job, I might go back to F1 rc racing.

Cheers!

JC
On-road 1/10 F1: 3Racing FGX + RC9394 Carbon Conversion AE BD/Team Orion/Ko Propo
josecarlo1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #4646
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by josecarlo1129 View Post
G-rem, that was awesome, sir. Hail to you!

I have stopped my modding since to pre-occupied with sim-racing. Now, after seeing your awesome job, I might go back to F1 rc racing.

Cheers!

JC
Thanks JC
Old 09-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #4647
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Getting some laps in

Well, I finally had a chance to run my gear box FGX at the UF1 Midwest race #1(Carpet @ NORCAR) it was my first time out with the car and I had some shake down failures(C-clip on top of king pin popped off in a crash, and servo horn popped off after screw fell out.), but I was very happy with the car over all. I am very interested in the details of G-Rem's conversion. It looks great so far. I bought all the stuff from TQ to convert to belt but never finished it. I have renewed interest and hope to find some time to get this done. On a side note I was the only one running a FGX and finished horrible but had loads of interest from others. Consensus from anyone watching is that this thing Boogies out of the corners plus the sound was pretty exiting. The track set up had a hairpin to the backstretch to a hairpin so push brake was needed. The FGX sounds pretty cool ripping down the straight then hard on the brakes for the hairpin. I know we lose all that when add the belt, so that's why I have two.

Last edited by Microtome; 10-09-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Microtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #4648
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another livery but applied my very own logo design.

Cheers,
JC
On-road 1/10 F1: 3Racing FGX + RC9394 Carbon Conversion AE BD/Team Orion/Ko Propo
josecarlo1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #4649
Tech Addict

Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #4650
Tech Addict

Hi guys,

I struggle to make the car turn (indoor carpet track)...

My set-up:

Rear:
- 1 toe in
- 2 camber
- rear shocks: AE RC18T rear shocks with 2000cst + Tamiya F201 Gold springs
- gear diff with 2000 cst
- droop: 7 or 8
- ride height: 6mm
- Ride R1 tyres fully sauced with LRP Carpet Top Grip 3

Front:
- 1.5 toe out
- 2 camber
- front shocks: AE RC18T front shocks with 1000cst + 3acing kit springs (softer)
- droop: 9mm
- ride height: 5mm
- Exotek FGX Front Hub (rear (3d) hole for steering rod)
- Ride R1 tyres

Electronics:
- Team Orion VST2 17.5t
- Team Orion R10 Pro (blinky mod), in the front
- IP 4600 shorty pack in the rear of the car
- GM Bls servo

Does someone have a good set-up for capret track (low/mid grip)?
Thanks in advance,
G-rem