R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #4261
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

As long as the court doesn't have huge cracks in it, you'll be fine as far as clearance goes. With the FGX, you can add the independent front end and have even more capability on bumpy courses.
The front and rear ride heights are adjustable on the FGX (as well as most other F1 cars). You should be fine.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #4262
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So what was the deal with the diff bearing carriers?

I started assembling my kit tonight and I'm using the 3r graphite chassis and alloy rear bulkhead and motor mount. When I went to install the diff it seems like something is out of round. The backlash between the diff gear and the idler it meshes with seems to stay the same so I'm guessing it is in the bearing carriers. Should I be ordering different ones? Except for this one weird issue the build has been good. Parts fit well and no issues with the screws.
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #4263
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
So what was the deal with the diff bearing carriers?

I started assembling my kit tonight and I'm using the 3r graphite chassis and alloy rear bulkhead and motor mount. When I went to install the diff it seems like something is out of round. The backlash between the diff gear and the idler it meshes with seems to stay the same so I'm guessing it is in the bearing carriers. Should I be ordering different ones? Except for this one weird issue the build has been good. Parts fit well and no issues with the screws.
I found if you move the carriers back a notch it works better with a more free movement. I have mine set dead center at top, one notch back from factory setting. Chexk here for some insite into the FGX build - A detailed guide Pt's 1-6

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...les/5-3-racing
Thanks to - SWORKZ Aust / Ryper Hobbies - SWORKz S350 EVO II Limited Edition / SWorkz S350T Pro Competition - AKA Aust - INTENSE RC HOBBIES - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC -PLAIG BEARINGS - WALTER R/C Hobby - SERPENT Spyder SCT SRX-2 -SERPENT Spyder RM - SERPENT Spyder ST - SERPENT F110
DIRTMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #4264
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I set mine so it was free and had the tiniest bit of backlash detectable and my cars surprisingly quiet compared to other FGXs Ive heard

BTW one of my FGXs is for sale, building another one with an exotek chassis and all the goodies

link
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #4265
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
I set mine so it was free and had the tiniest bit of backlash detectable and my cars surprisingly quiet compared to other FGXs Ive heard

BTW one of my FGXs is for sale, building another one with an exotek chassis and all the goodies

link
Mine is very quiet as well compared to others out there, I have also found the yeah racing pinions to be the best meshing for the FGX
Thanks to - SWORKZ Aust / Ryper Hobbies - SWORKz S350 EVO II Limited Edition / SWorkz S350T Pro Competition - AKA Aust - INTENSE RC HOBBIES - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC -PLAIG BEARINGS - WALTER R/C Hobby - SERPENT Spyder SCT SRX-2 -SERPENT Spyder RM - SERPENT Spyder ST - SERPENT F110
DIRTMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #4266
Tech Champion

Im just running aluminum robinson pinions... I dont think the pinion has anything to do with it, its the 32 pitch gears on the diff and layshaft that make all the noise. If they made those in 48 pitch it wouldnt make much noise at all
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #4267
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Replace the rear bearing carriers with the Zero S carriers. The carriers on the FGX parts tree are bad. I've done this on both of mine with excellent results. With the stock ones in place with no idler gear you could feel the bind in the bearing before doing the exchange. The diff would always settle in the same place and would even spin backwards if it wasn't at its settling point.

+1 The Yeah pinions are excellent.

+1 Setting the diff back one notch makes the world of difference in sound and performance.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #4268
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Replace the rear bearing carriers with the Zero S carriers. The carriers on the FGX parts tree are bad. I've done this on both of mine with excellent results. With the stock ones in place with no idler gear you could feel the bind in the bearing before doing the exchange. The diff would always settle in the same place and would even spin backwards if it wasn't at its settling point.

+1 The Yeah pinions are excellent.

+1 Setting the diff back one notch makes the world of difference in sound and performance.

That is what mine is doing, rolling on its own.

I noticed that the diff cover seems warped and lets the output wobble a little. It does this no matter how tight or loose I make the screws. I think I need to follow 3R's diff building tutorial.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #4269
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Hi guys
I'm running the exotek chassis and I've bought shorty packs for it. Is there anything else that needs to be done to fit these packs in? It doesn't look there is anything left in the exotek kit to shorten the battery compartment.

Thanks
Adrian
I simply place the battery in the car with thin, double sided tape. I've never had it move.....
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #4270
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
That is what mine is doing, rolling on its own.

I noticed that the diff cover seems warped and lets the output wobble a little. It does this no matter how tight or loose I make the screws. I think I need to follow 3R's diff building tutorial.
I threw mine into the parts box and fitted a ball diff/ ceramic balls. Have done easily 3000+ laps without a rebuild *indoors'*
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #4271
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
As long as the court doesn't have huge cracks in it, you'll be fine as far as clearance goes. With the FGX, you can add the independent front end and have even more capability on bumpy courses.
The front and rear ride heights are adjustable on the FGX (as well as most other F1 cars). You should be fine.
+1 , we have ours anywhere up to 10mm rear ride height . You may want to use stiffer rear springs, as the kit items are very soft and will scrub the rear of the chassis hard. I use 3M thick vinyl underneath for extra protection
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #4272
Tech Master

I figured my gear diff out. It took a little bit of sanding in the right places but it is smooth now. Drivetrain is very free with no high spots.
The kit is together now waiting on electronics to get here. Overall the build was good except for a missing screw and shim here and there. I wouldn't recommend this to a first time kit builder. A little hand fitting and instructions that don't give you an assembly order may be difficult for some. It also helps if you have some spare metric hardware on hand just in case.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #4273
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post

link
Cant give this away
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #4274
Tech Champion

Hey guys here's a deal.. This stuff was ordered in for a guy and he bailed on it. so Ive marked it down for the whole lot... smokin deal

NIB 3Racing Sakura FGX Kit + Parts
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #4275
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I am ready to try mine on an asphalt track!
3 of rear toe looks extreme but if it works...

I wish the rear suspension could be more precise and smoother. The ride height keeps changing.

Last edited by edhchoe; 05-01-2013 at 11:06 AM.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote