R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #3451
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasxuu View Post
I mean the basic chassis is cheap, like $87 shipped.
If 3R is going to sponsor any magazine to do some biased review(I'm saying sponsored), I doubt they will ship a fully modified one with exotek conversion on.
RC Driver would be happy to accept a "stock" FGX from 3 Racing. However, we would like them to include the new IFS with it.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #3452
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I just noticed on the 3racing Website that there is a new diiferential available, not the gear one, not the ball one but a roller one that has the exact same size as the ball diff.

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=5128

Here is what they says on the website

A race proven innovation by 3 Racing, the Roller Differential is also available for the Sakura FF, more durable than traditional ball differentials while retaining all its characteristics.
The Roller Differential is perfect when you need something in between a gear and ball differential.

I support that rollers last longer that balls
Has any of you tried it on FGX?

Cheers

Last edited by Zedsispeho; 08-23-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Zedsispeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #3453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Without getting into a full explanation a few years ago i designed a dif with the same roller bearings for an offroad experiment. basically since they are flat roller bearings they dont operate on the same circumference which gives them stiction. so while they are not as smooth as a ball dif they are very durable and give you dif action like going thicker fluids in a gear dif. not sure how well this will work on an F1 but sure to be a different feeling for sure! A tapered roller dif would be the best of both worlds but very hard to design for our applications.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #3454
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I know a guy that tried one in his Sakura TC when they came out a couple of years ago, he didn't really like it.........
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #3455
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Broken top deck revisited

A little late to the party but:
I broke my top deck and just finished repairing it with Q-bond.
To the guys that have been looking at this:

Do you think this common break is due to twist or the top deck bowing down and fracture across the thin step. I'm thinking of trying a spanning brace that gussets the step on both sides. It will be a small piece and may be just rip out. Will give it a try.

2nd idea: Run the caster/camber block all the way back to the cavity for top deck stiffener. Beyond my skill level.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #3456
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MrLesac

im on topdeck #7 part of my problem I think is having the metal 2degree camber plate in the front as well as the exotek arm braces. between the two it makes the front heavy and ridgid so the top deck is the first thing to break. the last two i broke were when the wing clipped the board and snapped it on either one side or both... however both times it was only cracked and I was able to finish the race.
I feel like its just from stress fractures of sudden impact when the thing gets ripped sideways.

if you were to brace it, I would run something just down the sides of the top deck.

exotek conversion here I come.
MrLesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #3457
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

For all those breaking top decks, try out MantisWorx top deck, especially if racing on asphalt. I race strictly on carpet, so my McKune chassis work very well. The top deck from the McKune will fit on a stock lower deck.

As far as the question to make the stock deck better: Eliminate that down step that isn't really needed and add more ribbing to keep it rigid, but will also allow some flex.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #3458
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLesac View Post
im on topdeck #7 part of my problem I think is having the metal 2degree camber plate in the front as well as the exotek arm braces. between the two it makes the front heavy and ridgid so the top deck is the first thing to break. the last two i broke were when the wing clipped the board and snapped it on either one side or both... however both times it was only cracked and I was able to finish the race.
I feel like its just from stress fractures of sudden impact when the thing gets ripped sideways.

if you were to brace it, I would run something just down the sides of the top deck.

exotek conversion here I come.
I broke 2 and at that rate, I'd have paid for a full conversion in 1 season of racing. I bought the other conversion, the Exotek front lower braces and never looked back. The second car was build directly with the aftermarket chassis.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #3459
Tech Master

speaking of the mckune, where can I get one, as it looks like their site no longer has it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #3460
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I broke 2 and at that rate, I'd have paid for a full conversion in 1 season of racing. I bought the other conversion, the Exotek front lower braces and never looked back. The second car was build directly with the aftermarket chassis.
well one was broken before i got the car

2 broke within 5 min of getting the thing set up.

and the last 2 were broken in the final minute of mains 2 and 3 of our last series race... i was fortunate enough to go on and win both of those heats, but if they had broken any sooner, than there would have been no way.

also it should be mentioned (weather you believe me or not) I am actually a very clean driver.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #3461
Tech Champion

Quote:
speaking of the mckune, where can I get one, as it looks like their site no longer has it.
That's news to me. I thought it was a great product. I just looked myself. Maybe there is an update in the works and he pulled it down off the website.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #3462
Tech Regular

Default Top Deck again

All FGX stock top decks crack at the same place behind the top rear front arm mounts. I figured instead of replacing the same (weak) top deck just update it. I went with the Exotek conversion and arms. So far I feel the car is more stable and turns well.

Also Marcus at Rocksox makes an fiberglass top deck, designed to give you some flex. I know someone with it and it also works very well.

The car now is much more durable I have taken some good hits. The biggest benefit is that it handles better and is lighter.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #3463
Tech Champion

Quote:
well one was broken before i got the car

2 broke within 5 min of getting the thing set up.

and the last 2 were broken in the final minute of mains 2 and 3 of our last series race... i was fortunate enough to go on and win both of those heats, but if they had broken any sooner, than there would have been no way.

also it should be mentioned (weather you believe me or not) I am actually a very clean driver.
I believe you. It didn't take much to snap the upper deck on mine either. The second deck I broke was one tick on the inner barrier and the front tire grabbed hard enough to snap the chassis. I finished my run and found the damage during inspection later. The first one I broke was under steer to a pirouette and then into a wall (a good foot off the ground) out of control trying to go flat out through the sweeper.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #3464
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
That's news to me. I thought it was a great product. I just looked myself. Maybe there is an update in the works and he pulled it down off the website.
Nope. McKune is no longer making them. I sent an email 2 weeks ago and they told me that the Exotek conversion was the way to go, they weren't going to make them anymore .. no update .. zero .
.. Sakura FGX; Novak power plant, Exotek, Lotus/Renault #9 ..
.. TB-03 Calsonic GT-R . reventon s/ultra v.3 power plant . yeah racing ..
.. M-05 Mini Cooper, Silver Can 104BK speedo, fakkin' cute!

...one of these days, life will get easier...
NewWestF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3465
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestF1 View Post
Nope. McKune is no longer making them. I sent an email 2 weeks ago and they told me that the Exotek conversion was the way to go, they weren't going to make them anymore .. no update .. zero .
Outch! That's some tough love.