R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #3046
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
Point taken and noted I'm a people photographer and I just naturally gravitate to that ...
Thank you for listening; I appreciate it.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #3047
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I'm using the standard round washer shims from 3 racing. Just put a washer under the front adjustable suspension mount and tighten the screw. It has a big affect on the steering. I have run anywhere from 0.5mm to 1.5mm depending on traction. I think mantis has run even more than that. 1mm usually works good on carpet. Not sure about asphalt.
Thank you...im maybe going out for some test laps this arvo..will try the squat out.

Im running on asphalt....

Im also going to try out the raised rear ride height trick,my mate i race with built his raised,so it didnt scrub...i didnt care about the chassis rubbing,so left it low...
My rear rideheight is 5.5mm,Seans is around 8-9mm...yet,lap times our cars are the same...

Im guessing it works,because the guys that Originally mentioned it on here,run over here in Aus on similar concrete,asphalt style tracks to me...
FGX Mckune Mercedes W02
Fleet powered by Thunder Power and Tekin,Spektrum and Hitec,painted by HABIBS BODIES
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #3048
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Also make sure you have the correct oil in ur dampener.
Different driving styles does different things.
I had mines set at 7000wt oil with 3 holes pistons i liked it better than 2k with 1 hole.

BTW i have an FGX for sale its the Orange one i have posted couple of weeks earlier.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #3049
Tech Regular

Default Exotek Chassis

Hey all!
Tested out the Exotek Carbon Chassis at parking lot racing today. I have full Exotek front and rear suspension arms and chassis. I immediatley felt the difference. It was much more stable and handled better overall. I had a couple of handling issues that were caused by tires breaking the beads and ride height to low. the chassis and arms held up after hitting a spun out car at the end of
the straight and getting punted a couple of times during the heats.

there are couple of things I am going to work on that should improve the handling. then I can start working on straight speed.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #3050
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone compared the aluminum gears to the plastic ones for better drivetrain efficiency?
MDRTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #3051
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peli View Post
Thank you...im maybe going out for some test laps this arvo..will try the squat out.

Im running on asphalt....

Im also going to try out the raised rear ride height trick,my mate i race with built his raised,so it didnt scrub...i didnt care about the chassis rubbing,so left it low...
My rear rideheight is 5.5mm,Seans is around 8-9mm...yet,lap times our cars are the same...

Im guessing it works,because the guys that Originally mentioned it on here,run over here in Aus on similar concrete,asphalt style tracks to me...
Remember to adjust the link on the rear arm to the damper pivot when adjusting ride height. If you leave it in the stock position and lower the car too much the shock can bottom out. The pivot should always be at the same angle, or pretty close, once its adjusted for ride height and damper throw no matter what the ride height.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #3052
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

How can you tell the Fast speed gear set from the regular set? also what would be a good gearing to start off with a silver can? I just got my used roller and I am going to run it this weekend on an outdoor asphalt med grip track 71* degrees I have soft Shimitzu rears med Shimitzu fronts I think I read that was the idea setup. not sure on the rest of the car as far as setup goes. i think i will try it first and move from there. can't wait to run this thing.
Tel: (858) 997-0833
ZERTA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #3053
Tech Regular

Default TIRES

Hi guy's

I know it's been answered before, and dont want to be a pain, (to many pages to go through) with the tires, part numbers and brands that will actually fit is what i'm after. We are starting a series here in victoria australia and tires are easly obtaind for tamiya but we are left wanting for FXG. Also what site are they on to purchase

Any info will greatly apprieciated

THANKYOU WILL
Thanks to - SWORKZ Aust / Ryper Hobbies - SWORKz S350 EVO II Limited Edition / SWorkz S350T Pro Competition - AKA Aust - INTENSE RC HOBBIES - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC -PLAIG BEARINGS - WALTER R/C Hobby - SERPENT Spyder SCT SRX-2 -SERPENT Spyder RM - SERPENT Spyder ST - SERPENT F110
DIRTMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #3054
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Talk to Sean at tqrcraceway.com cuz he is pretty much the king of Pit Shimizu supply and info.
Speedtechrc.com is also on top of the F1 tires for us.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #3055
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Talk to Sean at tqrcraceway.com cuz he is pretty much the king of Pit Shimizu supply and info.
Speedtechrc.com is also on top of the F1 tires for us.
+1 to that.
Tq are really good to deal with!
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #3056
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERTA RACING View Post
How can you tell the Fast speed gear set from the regular set? also what would be a good gearing to start off with a silver can? I just got my used roller and I am going to run it this weekend on an outdoor asphalt med grip track 71* degrees I have soft Shimitzu rears med Shimitzu fronts I think I read that was the idea setup. not sure on the rest of the car as far as setup goes. i think i will try it first and move from there. can't wait to run this thing.
The fast gear set is basically just a 35 tooth spur but you have to buy the spur set to get the 35. It is not sold by itself.

For silver can I would start at 5.0 and work down from there. I may have had a rough motor but I melted one at a 4.0 on a 2s lipo then went brushless.

The shimizus may be a bit too soft if the track warms up but they should work well at 71 degrees. if it gets closer to 90+ the soft tires may become slippery. I don't care for the medium fronts with the soft rears though. Too much push. It may just be my driving style or tuning but I prefer the soft fronts.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #3057
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone with a good suggestion on starting weight bias for the FGX. Also looking for gearing advice with a nonboosted 17.5 for some asphault racing, playing. Thanks for any help, much appreciated. Manual setup for now with Shimizu 561's and 565's.
JLinney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #3058
Tech Rookie

My turn, I using 17.5 non boost with FDR arond 3.8.

Spur 35 / pinion 25. It's exactly fit with my stock mount.

I appreciate with top speed and turning.(Asphault)

Anyway, understeer is still be my problem.

Last edited by Showbiz; 07-05-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Showbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #3059
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
The fast gear set is basically just a 35 tooth spur but you have to buy the spur set to get the 35. It is not sold by itself.

For silver can I would start at 5.0 and work down from there. I may have had a rough motor but I melted one at a 4.0 on a 2s lipo then went brushless.

The shimizus may be a bit too soft if the track warms up but they should work well at 71 degrees. if it gets closer to 90+ the soft tires may become slippery. I don't care for the medium fronts with the soft rears though. Too much push. It may just be my driving style or tuning but I prefer the soft fronts.
Thank you! I will try the tires and see how well they work. As far as spur gear i will count the teeth, it is used and the "fast gear set" bag was already open so i am sure its on the car. I will look back in the pages to fin the inernal drive.

Found the internal to be a couple pages back at 2.71 so i did the math. (35/19) x 2.71 = 4.9921 FDR, so I will work my way down from that base setup. I could use a 22 tooth pinion and be at 4.311 FDR but I will buy a few pinions and test them at the track
Tel: (858) 997-0833

Last edited by ZERTA RACING; 07-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.
ZERTA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #3060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Remember to adjust the link on the rear arm to the damper pivot when adjusting ride height. If you leave it in the stock position and lower the car too much the shock can bottom out. The pivot should always be at the same angle, or pretty close, once its adjusted for ride height and damper throw no matter what the ride height.
Thanks for the headsup...

On a side note,had our F1 race night last night,and tryed the jacked rear trick...It works for sure,my car had a lot more on power steering,and was way more agrressive through corners and on entry...

I went from 5.5mm rear ride height,to 7.5mm

But,it does make the car a little nervous,and its easy to upset the chassis with steering inputs if not smooth....which i did a lot off

Faster,yes...more consistent,probably not...
It allowed me to drop my overall time,and my fastest lap time,so theres definetley something in it..
Im thinking a sway bar with the jacked rear might be the go...

Should be able to find a middle ground though with a little tweaking..
FGX Mckune Mercedes W02
Fleet powered by Thunder Power and Tekin,Spektrum and Hitec,painted by HABIBS BODIES
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote