Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice ! The standard rear toe looks like two degrees. How is the battery swing door working ?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Nice ! The standard rear toe looks like two degrees. How is the battery swing door working ?
Says its still a trick to get the battery in but not as bad as it could be. The chassis is recessed on the bottom for battery tape, which is nice. It has a lot of nice features that were quite surprising.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lightfoot
So your thinking a 22T spur with a 21.5 motor will get this car relatively close speed wise to a 104 with a 21.5 ?

I need to get mine built....
The one I drove today was comparable in speed to our F104s and F109s today. Had a really big pinion in it. Was more than a 22T but how much bigger I do not know. Ill find out and get back to you.

Last edited by texastc; 10-29-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: horrible horrible spelling
Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ran the FGX today, first time with F1 style. 17.5 blinky, 26 pinion and everything else standard, soft rears and med fronts.

Handled great, surprised at how much entry speed can carry into and out of some tight corners.

Noticed it is awkward/hard to fit larger pinion due to posts, waiting for the option spur gear to arrive to play more with gearing. And if that doesnt work, change the esc firmware away from blinky

Only broken part was front upper wishbone (think thats what its called), only noticed by a keen eyed observer (thanks Mr Chodes), and the surprising thing was it didnt affect the handling all that much. Ended up putting another battery through it no problems at all.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by texastc
Standard as far as I know. Anybody want to see pics? Youve seen it all before but who cares right?
Looks good...so how close is the body size to the F104? Think it can use F104 bodies? Is that lead weights in the nose?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 AM

The FGX runs great for a the best price! But at our local track we have to make HUGE modifications we have to change upper and lower deck chassis and cut 4 holes for the charger and have to replace the motor mount with a full aluminum one. JJ Wang and me both have tested out the car and think it handles great. Great G-Force and rarely slides. It always gets back to the center and doesnt curve anywhere. Parts do break easily tho but we can replace them immedieatly with all of the parts we have.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

How will it go up against a F103?

What would be the biggest differences during:

Braking
Turn in
mid corner
Corner exit.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wonderjew
The FGX runs great for a the best price! But at our local track we have to make HUGE modifications we have to change upper and lower deck chassis and cut 4 holes for the charger and have to replace the motor mount with a full aluminum one. JJ Wang and me both have tested out the car and think it handles great. Great G-Force and rarely slides. It always gets back to the center and doesnt curve anywhere. Parts do break easily tho but we can replace them immedieatly with all of the parts we have.
I've seen these today, and certainly some big mods...Softer (12th) rear shocks, rear roll bar, carbon parts a plenty, 104 front end. Does look good, and seems to go well on track, but I was just as fast with my 104X1

Seems the standard car does, inherently, seem very stable... but on high grip, thats just means pushing everywhere by all acounts.

Also the plastics are soft, the front arms and wing are particularly flexy! And the aforementioned gearing issues seem to be a problem (only motor that seems to fit with full range is a X12).

Having said that, I have just completed building an bog standard FGX, as was given a very good price, couldn't resist! I like the idea's, will be interesting to see how it goes.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Looks good...so how close is the body size to the F104? Think it can use F104 bodies? Is that lead weights in the nose?
Body is a bit longer, I put the body on my 109, probably too long. Not sure if 104 bodies will work.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
How will it go up against a F103?

What would be the biggest differences during:

Braking
Turn in
mid corner
Corner exit.

mid corner and corner exit it is really good. You can really get on the throttle more than the F109 and F103. As for Braking and Turn in, it wasnt my car, so I really wasnt goin hard into the turns. He had broken an upper arm earlier, he put a piece of CF on it and glued the break. All was well for several more packs. He also had broken a kingpin the day before, says they are thinner and that they are recessed in the middle for a C clip. That is where break occured.

ONe other thing: the rear shocks, we thought that the extension was just goin to be plastic connecting the shock shaft to the rear end. It is a hollow tube and the shock shaft is really long going all the way through it. So its not as stressed as we had thought it would be, Seems to support it actually. Travel of the rear end is really nice.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

I managed to get my FGX together in time to race it in the last race of the year on my local parking lot track. It worked great. It needed some tuning and a properly broken in motor but I was still very happy with it. Came in second. The guy who won is an old pro with F1, and he was also probably running a crazy red dot motor, he was fast as hell.

Even though it was only 45 degrees out, and I was running the ride medium tires, I could actualy use the brakes without spinning like a top. Though that was only after the tires heated up, first couple of laps I had to baby it a bit, but not as much as a normal F1 car. If I wasn't an idiot and ordered the soft tires I bet it would have been amazing.

Overall, I dig it.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
You guys can't use the smaller part of the spur gear to gear the car ! It seems to be 22teeth or 23teeth, that should give alot higher gearing with a big pinion !!!
The smaller gear isn't .48 pitch. It is some other mechanical mesh. The kit spur is a 43 tooth .48 pitch.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by texastc
Standard as far as I know. Anybody want to see pics? Youve seen it all before but who cares right?
Is that a 34 tooth pinion in the picture? My eyes are tired.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Some gearing thoughts.

Based on what everyone is running for 64mm tall rear rubber tires, the F104 21.5 combo likes a gear ratio that results in rollouts between 2.6 and 3.2 inches. The internal gear ratio of the new car is 2.71:1. If that pinion in the picture maxes out the tooth count and is 33 to 35 teeth, that puts max count at 74 to 76 teeth. The min is probably 8 to 10 teeth less total.

So to hit a tooth count that's not maxed out and have some adjustment and trying to get an FDR that works for the motor and trans, I'm thinking you'd have to use the 35/35 tooth spur/pinion. You'd end up at an FDR of 2.71:1 (go figure) and a rollout of 2.92". Right in the same ball park as the current 21.5 F104 setups. A 35 tooth spur would give some movement up and down the range being almost right in the middle of the tooth count at 70 teeth. It is also the smallest spur you can get in the 4 spur pack.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Is that a 34 tooth pinion in the picture? My eyes are tired.
HE just got back with me and says its a 32 or 33.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.