Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fastfreddy74
IMHO i don't think the FGX is going to replace the F1-09, for one simple reason: most of rules state that a solid axle is mandatory.

On the other hand i don't think independent rear suspensions can result in a significant performance advantage over solid axle suspensions.
I also don't think the 5 gear transmission is going to help the speed...
Still, I see F1 being straight axle due to the simplicity and the momentum of every other car being straight axle.

OTOH, it is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. It's what the F201 should have been.

Anyone see a price?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
Thats a lot of camber lift..
Yeah, that baby link should be fun when the car starts to roll.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

They sell it with a prepainted redbull body, and Ill buy it.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

The front wing concerns me...other than that the car looks cool. But I just don't think the front wing will hold up with only 2 screws mounting it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If it comes out at the same pricepoint as the F109, I'll get one
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
If it comes out at the same pricepoint as the F109, I'll get one
Damn skippy. I'll be on it faster than buzzards on a gutwagon.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Figures I just got a F104. I just might have to have two F1 cars.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Only 2? LOL
Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have been racing F1 rc cars since 1987 and in truth, they haven't changed all that much; they are still straight axle pan cars basically. Now I know that Gadget and others seem to think that is still the way to go because it's simple and it works. No argument there.

However, I for one am sick of the archaic straight axle pan car design of F1 rc racing, and this new car is a breath of fresh air, and EXACTLY the direction that F1 rc should go! I say to heck with ROAR and those other so-called sanctioning bodies who seem to be determined to keep the status quo in design where both F1 and pan cars are concerned. Just ignore them, and start your own F1 class with your rules package and go at it. If enough of us do that then maybe ROAR and others will finally wake up and "smell the coffee" and change their rules.

I love new thinking and innovation, especially where F1 is concerned. That is why my heroes were Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, Jim Hall, etc. They never settled for the "status quo", but preferred instead to push the envelop and not only think "outside the box", but downright flatten it!!

Last edited by Team Lotus; 05-12-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
I also don't think the 5 gear transmission is going to help the speed...
Still, I see F1 being straight axle due to the simplicity and the momentum of every other car being straight axle.

OTOH, it is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. It's what the F201 should have been.

Anyone see a price?
True that drivetrain will add some drag compared to the straight axle.

You figure clubs will allow it? I am not sure what rules declare the straight axle?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I have been racing F! rc cars since 1987 and in truth, they haven't changed all that much; they are still straight axle pan cars basically. Now I know that Gadget and others seem to think that is still the way to go because it's simple and it works. No argument there.

However, I for one am sick of the archaic straight axle pan car design of F1 rc racing, and this new car is a breath of fresh air, and EXACTLY the direction that F1 rc should go! I say to heck with ROAR and those other so-called sanctioning bodies who seem to be determined to keep the status quo in design where both F1 and pan cars are concerned. Just ignore them, and start your own F1 class with your rules package and go at it. If enough of us do that then maybe ROAR and others will finally wake up and "smell the coffee" and change their rules.

I love new thinking and innovation, especially where F1 is concerned. That is why my heroes were Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, Jim Hall, etc. They never settled for the "status quo", but preferred instead to push the envelop and not only think "outside the box", but downright flatten it!!
+1
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

The TC car below was missing from the above picture for those interested.

Cheers,
Brad

Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Default Uf1 Series

This Saturday at Tamiya Track ( 2 Orion Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 )
UF1 Series continues with race #3
gates open at 8AM
Qualifying around noon
3 rounds of racing starts at 2PM
Control practice in the morning....
power will be supplied...

for more info :

http://charleslightfoot.com/UF1/rules.html
Old 05-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I have been racing F1 rc cars since 1987 and in truth, they haven't changed all that much; they are still straight axle pan cars basically. Now I know that Gadget and others seem to think that is still the way to go because it's simple and it works. No argument there.

You misunderstand me...I don't say that F1's should be pan cars because I like them that way. I say they are pan cars for a reason...the majority of racers have wanted it that way. Hence the unpopularity of the F201 in comparison. If you get enough interest in it then ROAR will adopt rules for it as they have often in the past. 2wd gearbox racing has been tried several times in the past and it has always been short lived. But I feel the reason for this has been the manufacturers poor choice in what type of racing they model and how well they do it. Like the RC10DS...The class of cars they modeled didn't have much popularity, the DS looked poor due to its disproportionate dimensions, the tires sucked, and you could only use DS rims. F1 on the other hand has a real chance if it is done right...and I think this car might just be done right. The F201 was a flop because of the 4wd and the car never quite looked as scale as the F103s...it always looked a bit fat. This car looks nicely scale and it is RWD! The issue will be in racing it with the pan style cars. If it is brushless racing the drag on the drive trane shouldn't be that much of an issue...but if it is silver can racing we might find the car's straight line speed may be diminished. If the wheels, tires, and bodies are compatible with the F104 then I think we have a great car here. Other than that my only other concern is the front wing mounting...I like how much more scale it looks but am concerned with the durability. A hit to the front wing is a lot of stress on the small mounting area of the wing.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gadgt, no offense intended; I see your point about straight axle pan car F1 vs scale independent suspension F1. And I agree the F201 flopped because it was 4Wd and no real F1 car is 4WD and it was a bit of a pain to work on. I think Tamiya went a little too far with that car.

However, this new car from 3 racing does look very promising. And yes, the front wing mount does look suspect; however maybe Exotek or Yeah or even 3 racing will develop an aftermarket wing mount that will be more durable.
Keep in mind that none of us has actually seen this car for real, much less driven one, so we don't want to be overly critical until someone gets their hands on it and drives it. Then we will have a better idea of it's strengths and weaknesses. All too often a new design is critiqued to death before anyone actually has one to drive.

As to the drivetrain and motor issue; we need to accept the fact that brushed motors are slowly on their way out altogether. Brushless is here to stay and it will soon be the only choice. The silver can motor has served it's purpose but it's time to move on and embrace the future. I agree with Gadgt that the 5 gear arrangement will likely work better with brushless than with the old silver can brushed. So be it. It's about time we moved on. I mean we are talking about F1 here!! Can we all agree that it's time that F1 rc racing stopped being a lesser class and moved up to represent real F1 racing with cutting edge technology which includes things like brushless motors, lipo batteries, independent suspension cars, etc.

I certainly hope that the bodies and wheels will be compatible with Tamiya; especially the bodies, as no one yet does a better job of scale realism than Tamiya when it comes to F1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.