R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Action Park
Posts: 6,599
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfreddy74 View Post
IMHO i don't think the FGX is going to replace the F1-09, for one simple reason: most of rules state that a solid axle is mandatory.

On the other hand i don't think independent rear suspensions can result in a significant performance advantage over solid axle suspensions.
I also don't think the 5 gear transmission is going to help the speed...
Still, I see F1 being straight axle due to the simplicity and the momentum of every other car being straight axle.


OTOH, it is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. It's what the F201 should have been.

Anyone see a price?
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/

Local 12 of the Villains, Thieves, and Scoundrels Union
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Action Park
Posts: 6,599
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
Thats a lot of camber lift..
Yeah, that baby link should be fun when the car starts to roll.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/

Local 12 of the Villains, Thieves, and Scoundrels Union
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 2,403
Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Default

They sell it with a prepainted redbull body, and Ill buy it.
__________________
Hotshot Rc Raceway
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 6,507
Default

The front wing concerns me...other than that the car looks cool. But I just don't think the front wing will hold up with only 2 screws mounting it.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
Dan the Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Perth, W.A
Posts: 1,649
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

If it comes out at the same pricepoint as the F109, I'll get one
__________________
Foundation member of Smash 'EM! Racing
WA's Home of Fun in RC Motorsport.
F109|Xray T2'008|Yokomo BMax2
If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...Someone else does!
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
Tech Master
 
texastc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forney Texas
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
If it comes out at the same pricepoint as the F109, I'll get one
Damn skippy. I'll be on it faster than buzzards on a gutwagon.
__________________
Exotek F1 Ultra
Exotek F1R
CRC Gen-X 10 LE
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
Tech Master
 
CR0SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: EL Jebel
Posts: 1,470
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Figures I just got a F104. I just might have to have two F1 cars.
__________________
You know the guy that beat you at the last race? It was not because of his car, or motor, or battery, it is because he was a better driver. Now go practice so you can beat him.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 6,507
Default

Only 2? LOL
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Falls, NY
Posts: 850
Default

I have been racing F1 rc cars since 1987 and in truth, they haven't changed all that much; they are still straight axle pan cars basically. Now I know that Gadget and others seem to think that is still the way to go because it's simple and it works. No argument there.

However, I for one am sick of the archaic straight axle pan car design of F1 rc racing, and this new car is a breath of fresh air, and EXACTLY the direction that F1 rc should go! I say to heck with ROAR and those other so-called sanctioning bodies who seem to be determined to keep the status quo in design where both F1 and pan cars are concerned. Just ignore them, and start your own F1 class with your rules package and go at it. If enough of us do that then maybe ROAR and others will finally wake up and "smell the coffee" and change their rules.

I love new thinking and innovation, especially where F1 is concerned. That is why my heroes were Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, Jim Hall, etc. They never settled for the "status quo", but preferred instead to push the envelop and not only think "outside the box", but downright flatten it!!

Last edited by Team Lotus; 05-12-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #25
Tech Elite
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 4,791
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I also don't think the 5 gear transmission is going to help the speed...
Still, I see F1 being straight axle due to the simplicity and the momentum of every other car being straight axle.


OTOH, it is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. It's what the F201 should have been.

Anyone see a price?
True that drivetrain will add some drag compared to the straight axle.

You figure clubs will allow it? I am not sure what rules declare the straight axle?
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
Tech Master
 
texastc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forney Texas
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
I have been racing F! rc cars since 1987 and in truth, they haven't changed all that much; they are still straight axle pan cars basically. Now I know that Gadget and others seem to think that is still the way to go because it's simple and it works. No argument there.

However, I for one am sick of the archaic straight axle pan car design of F1 rc racing, and this new car is a breath of fresh air, and EXACTLY the direction that F1 rc should go! I say to heck with ROAR and those other so-called sanctioning bodies who seem to be determined to keep the status quo in design where both F1 and pan cars are concerned. Just ignore them, and start your own F1 class with your rules package and go at it. If enough of us do that then maybe ROAR and others will finally wake up and "smell the coffee" and change their rules.

I love new thinking and innovation, especially where F1 is concerned. That is why my heroes were Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, Jim Hall, etc. They never settled for the "status quo", but preferred instead to push the envelop and not only think "outside the box", but downright flatten it!!
+1
__________________
Exotek F1 Ultra
Exotek F1R
CRC Gen-X 10 LE
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice
 
Saint Bastia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 62
Default



The TC car below was missing from the above picture for those interested.

Cheers,
Brad

__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Saint Bastia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
Tech Elite
 
lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 3,247
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Uf1 Series

This Saturday at Tamiya Track ( 2 Orion Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 )
UF1 Series continues with race #3
gates open at 8AM
Qualifying around noon
3 rounds of racing starts at 2PM
Control practice in the morning....
power will be supplied...

for more info :

http://charleslightfoot.com/UF1/rules.html
__________________
Love and Peace...
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #29
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 6,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
I have been racing F1 rc cars since 1987 and in truth, they haven't changed all that much; they are still straight axle pan cars basically. Now I know that Gadget and others seem to think that is still the way to go because it's simple and it works. No argument there.

However, I for one am sick of the archaic straight axle pan car design of F1 rc racing, and this new car is a breath of fresh air, and EXACTLY the direction that F1 rc should go! I say to heck with ROAR and those other so-called sanctioning bodies who seem to be determined to keep the status quo in design where both F1 and pan cars are concerned. Just ignore them, and start your own F1 class with your rules package and go at it. If enough of us do that then maybe ROAR and others will finally wake up and "smell the coffee" and change their rules.

I love new thinking and innovation, especially where F1 is concerned. That is why my heroes were Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, Jim Hall, etc. They never settled for the "status quo", but preferred instead to push the envelop and not only think "outside the box", but downright flatten it!!
You misunderstand me...I don't say that F1's should be pan cars because I like them that way. I say they are pan cars for a reason...the majority of racers have wanted it that way. Hence the unpopularity of the F201 in comparison. If you get enough interest in it then ROAR will adopt rules for it as they have often in the past. 2wd gearbox racing has been tried several times in the past and it has always been short lived. But I feel the reason for this has been the manufacturers poor choice in what type of racing they model and how well they do it. Like the RC10DS...The class of cars they modeled didn't have much popularity, the DS looked poor due to its disproportionate dimensions, the tires sucked, and you could only use DS rims. F1 on the other hand has a real chance if it is done right...and I think this car might just be done right. The F201 was a flop because of the 4wd and the car never quite looked as scale as the F103s...it always looked a bit fat. This car looks nicely scale and it is RWD! The issue will be in racing it with the pan style cars. If it is brushless racing the drag on the drive trane shouldn't be that much of an issue...but if it is silver can racing we might find the car's straight line speed may be diminished. If the wheels, tires, and bodies are compatible with the F104 then I think we have a great car here. Other than that my only other concern is the front wing mounting...I like how much more scale it looks but am concerned with the durability. A hit to the front wing is a lot of stress on the small mounting area of the wing.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Falls, NY
Posts: 850
Default

Gadgt, no offense intended; I see your point about straight axle pan car F1 vs scale independent suspension F1. And I agree the F201 flopped because it was 4Wd and no real F1 car is 4WD and it was a bit of a pain to work on. I think Tamiya went a little too far with that car.

However, this new car from 3 racing does look very promising. And yes, the front wing mount does look suspect; however maybe Exotek or Yeah or even 3 racing will develop an aftermarket wing mount that will be more durable.
Keep in mind that none of us has actually seen this car for real, much less driven one, so we don't want to be overly critical until someone gets their hands on it and drives it. Then we will have a better idea of it's strengths and weaknesses. All too often a new design is critiqued to death before anyone actually has one to drive.

As to the drivetrain and motor issue; we need to accept the fact that brushed motors are slowly on their way out altogether. Brushless is here to stay and it will soon be the only choice. The silver can motor has served it's purpose but it's time to move on and embrace the future. I agree with Gadgt that the 5 gear arrangement will likely work better with brushless than with the old silver can brushed. So be it. It's about time we moved on. I mean we are talking about F1 here!! Can we all agree that it's time that F1 rc racing stopped being a lesser class and moved up to represent real F1 racing with cutting edge technology which includes things like brushless motors, lipo batteries, independent suspension cars, etc.

I certainly hope that the bodies and wheels will be compatible with Tamiya; especially the bodies, as no one yet does a better job of scale realism than Tamiya when it comes to F1.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI's new F1 PhatPat Electric On-Road 1173 10-09-2013 10:18 PM
new F1 !!! il-gufo Electric On-Road 29 03-26-2011 09:17 AM


All times are GMT -8. It is currently 08:11 PM.



SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0