R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #2911
Tech Champion

Oh I didn't spend that much because I got most of the parts at cost being that I ran Gadgetworks which was the old Formula1-RC shop. I also designed the FPM bearing braces that people used to replace the top gear cover and made gear changes and setting gear mesh easier. Sure it didn't need a lot of the stuff but they were nice to have...much like the FGX there is a lot that I would like to change but isn't really needed. On the F201 upgrades that I would have considered needed was: Chassis, suspension arms, spur gear adapter, FPM bearing braces, FPM gear box braces, FPM suspension braces, and the FPM bent steering rods. The version 1 suspension arms were really weak. Prior to the version 2 arms the only upgrade available was the FPM aluminum arms which were $200 for a whole set. The version 2 arms were pretty good and came with suspension braces but the FPM suspension braces were better and braced more locations. The gearboxes themselves had a significant amount of flex in them where the rocker arms mounted that was easily cured with the FPM gearbox braces which was just a piece of metal that connected the 2 rocker arm mounts. The FPM bent steering rods got rid of the huge amount of bump steer that the F201 had. Oh and I forgot the shocks...the stock ones were crap and needed to be replaced. And even if you did go fully upgraded with the F201 there were still issues with the rear gear box design which caused gear slippage under breaking which could not be eliminated. As cool as the suspension was on that car...the rest of it was a design nightmare.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #2912
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Agreed. No disrespect meant to any FGX owners. From an outsiders view it seems the chassis "needs" a lot to make it raceable. I know it's fairly new and 3 Racing seems to be reacting to the needs. Personally, and as you can guess from my F201 appreciation, I like the full suspension idea so I hope the FGX really works out. Then again, I also hope Tamiya DOES come out with an updated F201 style chassis.
Gadget, learn something new everyday. I remember Gadgetworks but I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Get your ass in gear and go back to work !!! We need folks like you.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #2913
Tech Champion

Unfortunately I'm not a web designer and my previous web software was problematic..I have been trying to get it back up and running but it is slow going. Also my supplier in Japan was wanting a much larger minimum order than I could make at the time. I still have a dealership with 3Racing and now with BMI for a few years now. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #2914
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Agreed. No disrespect meant to any FGX owners. From an outsiders view it seems the chassis "needs" a lot to make it raceable.
I raced the FGX, box stock, last Saturday. Nothing wrong with it. Just build it with some additional care.

1. Diff is oblong on one side. Sand it to be as round as you can.
2. Front arms need reinforcement. I used old allen wrenches.
3. Upper plastic deck needs reinforcement, used epoxy.
4. Front steering axle diameter a little small for bearing. Light coat of CA glue to make it thicker. Same with rear spur gear bearing axle.

Rest is tuning such as lighter diff oil, thicker shock oil, stiffer rear springs, softer front springs.

It actually feels nicer and more realistic to drive compared to DD cars.

Out of the box it had a nice turn in. And pretty stable rear inspiring confidence to push the power.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #2915
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Which brand or type of rear spring seems to be effective on the fgx?
MDRTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #2916
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
I raced the FGX, box stock, last Saturday. Nothing wrong with it. Just build it with some additional care.

1. Diff is oblong on one side. Sand it to be as round as you can.
2. Front arms need reinforcement. I used old allen wrenches.
3. Upper plastic deck needs reinforcement, used epoxy.
4. Front steering axle diameter a little small for bearing. Light coat of CA glue to make it thicker. Same with rear spur gear bearing axle.

Rest is tuning such as lighter diff oil, thicker shock oil, stiffer rear springs, softer front springs.

It actually feels nicer and more realistic to drive compared to DD cars.

Out of the box it had a nice turn in. And pretty stable rear inspiring confidence to push the power.
mine is box stock but finding stock parts are fragile. Last Saturday after being hit from the rear my car was undriveable. I found the front reinforced lower arms bent up and forward 1 to 2mm, bearings seizing at speed, there was a wear pattern on the axles showing bearing were seizing and spinning on axles. Further I found slightly bent left axle. Damage to axles were not visible when held or at low speed. They started to wobble when spun up even after new bearings and spacing. The chassis checked out, no tweek! The rear has a hitch either with the ball diff or the axle bearing. I will take the rear apart later today.

I picked up new front bearings, ball diff, Exotic adjustable upper front arms. Ive been wondering about the quality of the Ball diff. I will probably have to replace the stock ball diff mini balls and rear axle bearings.

The box stock car is good until you crash or are taken out hard.
then things either break or bend.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #2917
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All true, but I still love the FGX. It's a beauty of a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post
mine is box stock but finding stock parts are fragile. Last Saturday after being hit from the rear my car was undriveable. I found the front reinforced lower arms bent up and forward 1 to 2mm, bearings seizing at speed, there was a wear pattern on the axles showing bearing were seizing and spinning on axles. Further I found slightly bent left axle. Damage to axles were not visible when held or at low speed. They started to wobble when spun up even after new bearings and spacing. The chassis checked out, no tweek! The rear has a hitch either with the ball diff or the axle bearing. I will take the rear apart later today.

I picked up new front bearings, ball diff, Exotic adjustable upper front arms. Ive been wondering about the quality of the Ball diff. I will probably have to replace the stock ball diff mini balls and rear axle bearings.

hkbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #2918
Tech Apprentice

I always wondered where they came from... Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Oh I didn't spend that much because I got most of the parts at cost being that I ran Gadgetworks which was the old Formula1-RC shop. I also designed the FPM bearing braces that people used to replace the top gear cover and made gear changes and setting gear mesh easier. Sure it didn't need a lot of the stuff but they were nice to have...much like the FGX there is a lot that I would like to change but isn't really needed. On the F201 upgrades that I would have considered needed was: Chassis, suspension arms, spur gear adapter, FPM bearing braces, FPM gear box braces, FPM suspension braces, and the FPM bent steering rods. The version 1 suspension arms were really weak. Prior to the version 2 arms the only upgrade available was the FPM aluminum arms which were $200 for a whole set. The version 2 arms were pretty good and came with suspension braces but the FPM suspension braces were better and braced more locations. The gearboxes themselves had a significant amount of flex in them where the rocker arms mounted that was easily cured with the FPM gearbox braces which was just a piece of metal that connected the 2 rocker arm mounts. The FPM bent steering rods got rid of the huge amount of bump steer that the F201 had. Oh and I forgot the shocks...the stock ones were crap and needed to be replaced. And even if you did go fully upgraded with the F201 there were still issues with the rear gear box design which caused gear slippage under breaking which could not be eliminated. As cool as the suspension was on that car...the rest of it was a design nightmare.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #2919
Tech Apprentice

Default FGX and F201

Sorry for the slew of posts. Can you tell I'm inspired?

They look like they can get along
Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #2920
Tech Adept

Default temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr0311 View Post
is this for 80-100F track temp on asphalt? i dont want to get soft fronts and over heat them. thanks.
yes mate , the HPI soft fronts are as hard as other brand mediums and will work well in the heat

regards Mark M (australia)

Associated TC6 now like a shark * Reedy * ProAmps * Hobbywong * Thunderpower

McKune Design FGX * F201 carbon * F103GT Jaguar XJS14 niiice * T.O.P F1 coming soon
Yokojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #2921
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokojojo View Post
yes mate , the HPI soft fronts are as hard as other brand mediums and will work well in the heat

regards Mark M (australia)
hay, thanks a lot. hpi soft fronts and med rears. ill try it out.

Capricorn: LAB-C802, LAB E801, LAB-C03, and TE03. SWORKz: S350BK1 EVO II, S104EVO, S12-1M. CRC 235mm Pro-10, Top Rebel 12
gsxr0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #2922
Tech Adept

Default springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRTales View Post
Which brand or type of rear spring seems to be effective on the fgx?
Using the FGX shocks i found option blue springs and 1000wt oil works well , but im now using TC6 shocks with silver springs 13lb ish which are softer , but with the increased volume of oil is very plush .....the rear is soft but very dampened and doesnt bottom out or bounce on the rougher parts of our track

Mark M

Associated TC6 now like a shark * Reedy * ProAmps * Hobbywong * Thunderpower

McKune Design FGX * F201 carbon * F103GT Jaguar XJS14 niiice * T.O.P F1 coming soon
Yokojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #2923
Tech Regular

Ok picked up the needed parts. front rear bearings, exotec front and rear arms, ball diff and ceramic diff balls. Exotec has the right idea, kiss (keep it simple stupid) all very easy to install. need to fine tune ride height, camber and caster.
Love the ball diff with ceramic bearings, much smoother and diff gear is much smoother, gear box spins much freer! glued the front axles get a better bearing fit. I have one taped and the other glued. oh well!

Now I have much more durable and serviceable suspension and diff.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #2924
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

From Shizuoka Hobby Show recently.

Courtesy of http://www.hobby-show.info
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #2925
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post
So true. For the bearings did you run them from the box? I removed the bearing grease with wd40 then lubed with Mobile 1.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote