R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #2776
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Sweet! I'll pick me up a set of them once my new steering knuckles come in
If you are getting those 3 racing alloy knuckles then stock up on lots of 5x8 bearings kablamo!

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #2777
Tech Champion

Yeah I just blew one out this weekend...No I'm switching to F104 front knuckles and am going to use the Ride F104 front rims so I can keep the same tires all around. I ordered the TGR knuckles that can be either in-line or trailing. The carbon fiber arm on them will get rid of the flex problem the stock plastic knuckles have and also get rid of the play issues in the stock axle and bearing combination.

Got 2 pair so I have one for my FGX and one for my F1R
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #2778
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi Guys.
I wanted to ask something.
I have FGX with exotek conversion with stock setting, 35/29 gearing, shimizu groove front & rear, 80t oil for stock diff.
After initial setting, went out for a drive at night. The car felt really great. everything seems perfect including full throttle at corner and no spinning.
And then I tried it at day time and the car is impossible to drive.it just keep spinning. Even at low speed, it spins as soon as i turn. The diff felt too loose.
What do you guys think? only thing I can be suspicious is the temp since my test was everything was same except the time I ran.
Let me know how you guys think.
Cheers.
aackjw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #2779
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Probably overheating the Shimizu tyres, particularly if you have soft fronts............
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #2780
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetmaster View Post
Probably overheating the Shimizu tyres, particularly if you have soft fronts............
I have medium front & soft rear.
when you say overheating the shimizu tires, is that the known characteristic of the shimizu?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #2781
Tech Adept

just tried the same setting at night and turns out it's not the diff but the grip on the tire as fleetmaster said. I live in SF and at the day time it was 85 degree and 63 at night.
I guess I should try hard compound at daytime.
I knew the tire in f1 is pretty important but didn't realized the temperature would affect the grip this much. it was a very interesting incident.
Hope this is helpful for a newbie like me.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #2782
Tech Champion

It might even be the rears...if you overheat the soft rears the car will have poor rear grip. Medium all around may work or maybe hard front and medium rear.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #2783
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Yeah I just blew one out this weekend...No I'm switching to F104 front knuckles and am going to use the Ride F104 front rims so I can keep the same tires all around. I ordered the TGR knuckles that can be either in-line or trailing. The carbon fiber arm on them will get rid of the flex problem the stock plastic knuckles have and also get rid of the play issues in the stock axle and bearing combination.

Got 2 pair so I have one for my FGX and one for my F1R
Be aware not to lose those 2.6x6 little screws in them, I have those TRG and at last I prefer to use the F104 original plastic knuckles
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #2784
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aackjw View Post
Hi Guys.
I wanted to ask something.
I have FGX with exotek conversion with stock setting, 35/29 gearing, shimizu groove front & rear, 80t oil for stock diff.
After initial setting, went out for a drive at night. The car felt really great. everything seems perfect including full throttle at corner and no spinning.
And then I tried it at day time and the car is impossible to drive.it just keep spinning. Even at low speed, it spins as soon as i turn. The diff felt too loose.
What do you guys think? only thing I can be suspicious is the temp since my test was everything was same except the time I ran.
Let me know how you guys think.
Cheers.
The pit's dont like heat at all , the ribs get hot really quick, they work great on carpet and cool tracks. order a set of HPI med rear, soft fronts and you will be golden!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #2785
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
The pit's dont like heat at all , the ribs get hot really quick, they work great on carpet and cool tracks. order a set of HPI med rear, soft fronts and you will be golden!
Is that for high temp or low temp?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #2786
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
just tried the same setting at night and turns out it's not the diff but the grip on the tire as fleetmaster said. I live in SF and at the day time it was 85 degree and 63 at night.
I guess I should try hard compound at daytime.
I knew the tire in f1 is pretty important but didn't realized the temperature would affect the grip this much. it was a very interesting incident.
Hope this is helpful for a newbie like me.
is there a HARD compound tire anywhere to buy?
As far as I know, Shimizu only have medium/soft front and soft rear.
nicholasxuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #2787
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasxuu View Post
is there a HARD compound tire anywhere to buy?
As far as I know, Shimizu only have medium/soft front and soft rear.
You could try using Tamiya Reinforced B compound for F201's . I use those for my daily driving on asphalt and doesn't wear out
hkbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #2788
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran the rib med fronts and soft rib rears with a thin insert .. on a very hott day the rears would not work .. Now I run the 104 tires with stock inserts and there dialed ,( Mantisworx's tire mod ) tested them on black top then the same set on carpet .very good tire wear and car is very stable and easier to drive ..
Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #2789
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Is that for high temp or low temp?
high

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb racer View Post
I ran the rib med fronts and soft rib rears with a thin insert .. on a very hott day the rears would not work .. Now I run the 104 tires with stock inserts and there dialed ,( Mantisworx's tire mod ) tested them on black top then the same set on carpet .very good tire wear and car is very stable and easier to drive ..
mine too, ran last night , you couldnt make the rear step out if you tried (and i tried!!) the car was very stable. quick lap was less than a 10th slower than my Tq 104 time. I didnt run the FGX in the main because i could quite get the steering comfortable and it was pushing a little bit. after the races were over i went to 0toe(was at 1*toe in) and soft front springs, and then cracked off a handfull of 11 second passes with the best of 11.68! my quickest time in my 104 was 11.83. I think the car has more in it, the 0571's jsut have too much grip and the F3 softs are not quite enough so i am just dialing more steering in with setup a little at a time. Car is coming around!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #2790
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Fun car !!! Lots of adjustments.
Easily for someone to dial themselves out especially if you add more adjustments LOL

Little bit more breakable, more moving parts more things to break.
But then you are not suppose to be riding the wall in the first place !!! =)

FUN !!!