R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #2686
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
If you are on asphalt dont get the pits, its too hot for them. on carpet they are fine.HPI soft /med or med/med are working best right now outside.
HPI soft front / med rear?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #2687
Tech Champion

Once soft tires overheat on asphalt they will actually give you less grip than medium tires...so if the car has oversteer a soft front tire can cure that.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #2688
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring71 View Post
I haven't heard about it yet
Thanks, we'll know soon!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #2689
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Help

Just received mine, with the rabbit, speerd gears, F104 plastic front end,etc.
Quick question, I have plastic parts for the front suspension of the f104, do I need to have the metal king pin from the f104? What else would I neeed?
Would if i have to stop inthe middle of a build... For me building and wrenching is very important and entertaining...
HornyToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #2690
Tech Champion

Ok wings finished and tires all glued up Tomorrow finish up the electronics and it'll be ready for testing on Sunday

The red vinyl I found for the wings ended up a bit darker than I wanted...it was really difficult to judge the right shade when I was at the graphics shop as their lighting isn't the best.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #2691
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Ok wings finished and tires all glued up Tomorrow finish up the electronics and it'll be ready for testing on Sunday

The red vinyl I found for the wings ended up a bit darker than I wanted...it was really difficult to judge the right shade when I was at the graphics shop as their lighting isn't the best.

Very nice job Gadgt!!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #2692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dam !!! SWEET RIDE !!!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #2693
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post

Your car is beautiful!!! You have to teach me master yoda..and take it easy on me this Sunday, it is my rookie debut
Sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #2694
Tech Regular

Default indi frnt susp pic

Almost done with my build, yep finally. rear diff leaks, will do repair soon. waiting for livery decal set. all stock, handles pretty good on cement.

Just saw this on 3racing Facebook cite. No info was given
Attached Thumbnails
3 racing new F1-fgx-ifs.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #2695
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Ok guys, lots of development over the last few weeks!
The RCShox asphalt upper deck kit is complete and all of the local kits sold have been phenomenal! much better steering and more of it, increased corner speed .5 second avg quicker laptimes on the short tracks (11-13s laptimes) big track results are pending until tomorrow.

Our FGX ceramic bearing kits are also available now and are a steal at 55.00 for the complete set. I ultrasonic cleanse them and hand oil them so they are ready out of the bag!
http://rcshox.com/shoxshop/catalog/p...products_id=76

Now back to the FGX development! Since i started messing with the IFS I decided to only use the car for testing until i get it on par with the DD cars which are REALLY quick around here! I have been driving my newly acquired F104x1 that is very good. This helps me out because i know what i need to get out of my FGX. I switched the front damper/springs to a set of stock FGX shocks, and it felt much better, i was having really bad oversteer and the installation of these shocks and soft springs along with 3k oil/single 1.5mm hole pistons got the front really nice!

one thing that i noticed IMMEDIATELY with the IFS is that the front slop made it impossible to drive without darting everywhere so I converted to 104 knuckles and pit 0571 tires. I machined some extenders for the ackerman and will offer these on the website next week. I strongly suggest this mod! Also note the front sway bar.

The best tire combo is the PIT 0571/0572 these tires just work everywhere sooooooo....I figured out how to get the rears mounted!
Next hurdle was the strange Tweak i had that i just could not get rid of so i decided to completely rebuild the car using the 3r carbon chassis (which actually flexes more than the stock!!) and getting rid of the optional motor mount. After talking with Bremer he also had a strange tweak and he found out it was the motor mount where the side screws attached to the main plate. Rather than fight it i just went back to the stock mount. i also replaced the gears with the aluminum 3r units and Exotech rear arms (nice work Mike!)

During the rebuild i decided to go as light as i can with everything so all of the screws are aluminum and i deleted anything that was not needed and went to a smaller battery. i think the combo of extra gears and weight is wreaking havoc on acceleration and heat. On this subject i have been having a hard time finding a good motor for this chassis, they all work but around here we are running 2.0/2.2 FDR on DD!! 2.4 is all we can get on the FGX so we basically need a ultra high TQ motor with some decent RPM's So far the Murfdogg is a freakin spark plug!! very powerfull motor, stays cool and with a 36t on it right now has plenty of top speed with temps only around 130* with zero timing so i have some room to play!

CHASSIS DYNAMICS
Well now that we have front and rear roll centers to play with I think i have it figured out, at least close. The stock rear link setup keeps the chassis flat so it is somewhat matched with the kingpin front but now since I can change the front roll center i needed to come up with something for the rear. I first tried just a link from the hub to the rear of the bulkhead and it had so much roll that it would actually scrape the sides of the chassis with 7mm ride height! I want mech grip but not that much so I made a piece that gave me a shorter link and much better geometry.

Rght now with the stiffest springs in the rear it feels like i still need a thicker sway bar (#4 is already in use) and stiffer springs. Tomorrow will be a true test, track is already prepped with 200lbs of powdered sugar so the DD cars will be fast!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #2696
Tech Champion

Almost forgot!! I am using the ball dif now, i figured out that the thrust bearing has to go on a certain way, if you install it backwards it feels horrible. Also went with 12 carbide balls instead of 6 ceramic. It feels butta smooth now. The leaking gear dif was getting on my nerves....
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #2697
Tech Adept

Hi all, could use some build help. I looked at this thread, uf1houston.com, and the UF1 101 page here: http://uf1series.com/_sub_pages/2012/uf1_101.html
Going to be racing on asphalt here in Austin where temps will be well into the 100s in the summer and I've got a few questions:

Most posted setups seem to list a shock oil weight, but not a piston. Is everyone using the 2 hole kit piston?

What are the kit springs? I bought the 3racing Fr/Rr spring kits and sway bar kits so I've got some tuning options at my disposal.

I followed the 3racing gear diff setup which I tried to follow to a tee, shimming the outdrives and whatnot. Everything felt smooth when I was putting it together, but now that it's installed in the car, spinning an axle with no tires basically stops asap (i.e. not that free of a drivetrain). Will this free up over time or do I need to tear it down and try again?

What's the fastest way to dissassemble the rear diff? Looks like I've got to take the rear wing and the rear bulkhead cover off every time.

@MantisWorx, thanks for everything you've posted to this thread and shared with us. Sounds like you've put many hours into testing this car and you've saved us a lot of time! I am a bit confused by your latest tire comments, though. A few posts ago, I thought you said we should shelve the Pit's until winter time, but then you say it's the best set of tires in your IFS post. Which is it?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #2698
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEagle View Post
Hi all, could use some build help. I looked at this thread, uf1houston.com, and the UF1 101 page here: http://uf1series.com/_sub_pages/2012/uf1_101.html
Going to be racing on asphalt here in Austin where temps will be well into the 100s in the summer and I've got a few questions:

Most posted setups seem to list a shock oil weight, but not a piston. Is everyone using the 2 hole kit piston?
2hole pistons 1000wt oil

What are the kit springs? I bought the 3racing Fr/Rr spring kits and sway bar kits so I've got some tuning options at my disposal.

I followed the 3racing gear diff setup which I tried to follow to a tee, shimming the outdrives and whatnot. Everything felt smooth when I was putting it together, but now that it's installed in the car, spinning an axle with no tires basically stops asap (i.e. not that free of a drivetrain). Will this free up over time or do I need to tear it down and try again?

sounds like you have the mesh too tight between the dif and the idler gear, it is adjustable and you have to make sure that they are even on both sides

What's the fastest way to dissassemble the rear diff? Looks like I've got to take the rear wing and the rear bulkhead cover off every time.
no easy way around it!!

@MantisWorx, thanks for everything you've posted to this thread and shared with us. Sounds like you've put many hours into testing this car and you've saved us a lot of time! I am a bit confused by your latest tire comments, though. A few posts ago, I thought you said we should shelve the Pit's until winter time, but then you say it's the best set of tires in your IFS post. Which is it?
The pit 0571/0572 are f104 slick tires that will not fit FGX wheels. The only pits available for the FGX are the ribbed which do not work at all on hot asphalt but are great when the weather cools off. right now the best combo for you will be the HPI med rear soft front or med front (which i prefer). your going to spend money on tires, F1's are very particular to them. FYI the 3r bearings are horrible, as soon as you get the funds convert to ceramic, your car will be happy!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #2699
Tech Adept

Wow! Thanks for the super speedy response Marcus! I don't mind spending money on tires but from my experience doing off road, I'm terrible at gluing tires, so that's what I was lookiing to avoid. =) I'll try what you've mentioned. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #2700
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Marcus .. You ahould try # 5 sway bar . and if your not running it . #3 toe in the rear ... Im still running the gear diff with out any problems also im running the rc18 rear shock bodies . which gave me more volume im running 5k and car is reall good .. let us know how the tires work ..