R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #2461
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

I haven't had a problem with the ball diff. Now I admit the last ball diff I ran was 10+ years ago in a f102 but the fgx ball diff out of the box lowered my lap times, increased corner speed, made the car rotate the turns better, increased rear traction, and made the car more driveable on corner entry and exit. Maybe I got lucky and picked out a good one.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #2462
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I haven't had a problem with the ball diff. Now I admit the last ball diff I ran was 10+ years ago in a f102 but the fgx ball diff out of the box lowered my lap times, increased corner speed, made the car rotate the turns better, increased rear traction, and made the car more driveable on corner entry and exit. Maybe I got lucky and picked out a good one.
strange, mine is probably one of the worst i have had! like Fred said its like a pepper grinder, either it slips or locks up. I am pretty sure its the thrust bearing. what surface are you on? I think that it will be the best choice but i need to make it work like it supposed to.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #2463
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,325
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The ball diff in mine is the worst ball diff I have ever seen.
__________________
Follow my rc products on Facebook at Raborn Racing Originals and the line of 3D printed parts at
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rebellionrc
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #2464
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I'm pretty old school and have always favored a ball diff so I'll probably try to rub it down with a blend of secret herbs and spices to see what can be done to it. I'll play with the gear diff too. Hopefully I can get both options working nicely.
I had to take the gear diff apart and sand the fronts and backs of the beveled gears to get rid of the molding flash. Then I put it back together with no fluid and made sure it felt free with no binding and no gear skipping. Then tore it back apart and put in the fluid. I green slimed the half shafts every time they came back out.

For the ball diff, the Zero diff fits, but needs the diff outer gear instead of the belt pulley. It is a much better piece.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #2465
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
strange, mine is probably one of the worst i have had! like Fred said its like a pepper grinder, either it slips or locks up. I am pretty sure its the thrust bearing. what surface are you on? I think that it will be the best choice but i need to make it work like it supposed to.
I'm running a technical carpet track. My ball diff is very smooth and extremely consistent. The car behaves the same from the green flag to checkered. I have also noticed that it doesn't take much adjustment to change the characteristics of the diff but it has never changed from where I set it. I have had it tight, loose, and perfect but it was always consistent regardless of how it was adjusted. Loose stayed loose tight stayed tight and perfect stayed perfect.

I wonder if there is a v1 and a v2 for the ball diff. I thought about trying the roller diff but the ball diff has done me well so far.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #2466
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I had to take the gear diff apart and sand the fronts and backs of the beveled gears to get rid of the molding flash. Then I put it back together with no fluid and made sure it felt free with no binding and no gear skipping. Then tore it back apart and put in the fluid. I green slimed the half shafts every time they came back out.

For the ball diff, the Zero diff fits, but needs the diff outer gear instead of the belt pulley. It is a much better piece.
I did the same thing and my diff is pretty smooth...but I did notice like Fred that there is a lot of drag in the o-rings even before I assembled the diff...I've built 3 different gear diffs from 3 different manufacturers and noticed the same thing with all of them. Just came to think that was the nature of a gear diff eventually.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2467
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I did the same thing and my diff is pretty smooth...but I did notice like Fred that there is a lot of drag in the o-rings even before I assembled the diff...I've built 3 different gear diffs from 3 different manufacturers and noticed the same thing with all of them. Just came to think that was the nature of a gear diff eventually.
I built the v2 gear diff for my sakura zero and it had noticeably less o ring drag compared to the v1 but is was still not as smooth as the spec r or xray diff. I only installed 2 of the large shims instead of three so a little o ring pressure was relieved. Maybe this helped a little.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #2468
Tech Master
 
over gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

FGX new front suspension from 3Racing.
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #2469
AI
Tech Initiate
 
AI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: China
Posts: 32
Send a message via MSN to AI
Default







Attached Thumbnails
3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-150.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-151.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-152.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-153.jpg  
AI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #2470
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I did the same thing and my diff is pretty smooth...but I did notice like Fred that there is a lot of drag in the o-rings even before I assembled the diff...I've built 3 different gear diffs from 3 different manufacturers and noticed the same thing with all of them. Just came to think that was the nature of a gear diff eventually.
I figure that is the nature of the gear diff too. It's not really meant to spin a lot in use, so I just let it be as long as it diffs properly without binding or grabbing while on the bench. I suppose pilot bearings might smooth that out, but the seal would drag a touch no matter what.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #2471
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Falls, NY
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by over gear View Post
FGX new front suspension from 3Racing.
I LIKE!!!! When will it be available, and how much?

Just need to find a way to adapt it to either the Exotek or McKune chassis!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #2472
Tech Champion
 
oXYnary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
I LIKE!!!! When will it be available, and how much?

Just need to find a way to adapt it to either the Exotek or McKune chassis!
Do you think they (3R) will offer a new kits soon with all these updates?
__________________
www.3drcracing.com <<RC Video Game.
Kyosho Mini-Z Buggy, Moto Racer | Losi Micro SCT, 8ight Mini
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #2473
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Falls, NY
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Do you think they (3R) will offer a new kits soon with all these updates?
That would be cool if they did!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #2474
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I built the v2 gear diff for my sakura zero and it had noticeably less o ring drag compared to the v1 but is was still not as smooth as the spec r or xray diff. I only installed 2 of the large shims instead of three so a little o ring pressure was relieved. Maybe this helped a little.
The Spec R I got for my Photon was pretty tight in the o-rings as well.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #2475
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norcal
Posts: 759
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Do you think they (3R) will offer a new kits soon with all these updates?
wish they will do an upgrade kit and a higher level version with all the "optional" parts on. like zero s to zero.
nicholasxuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI's new F1 PhatPat Electric On-Road 1173 10-10-2013 12:18 AM
new F1 !!! il-gufo Electric On-Road 29 03-26-2011 11:17 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:40 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0