R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #211
Tech Regular

Anyone know what the internal gearing is in the FGX?
the included spurgear, it is not stated in manual how many teeth it has.

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #212
Tech Fanatic

It's a 3 gear trans, forward gear is 26t, middle 17t and gear diff 39. Gear ratio is 2.71.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #213
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I like the way that front wing protects the car ! I also sent in my payment by mail from NY(first name Bertrand) , did you guys receive it ? Contact me ASAP when you're ready to ship ! Thanks....
The front wing looks like it is barely attached...that isn't going to offer near as much protection as the F103 or F104
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just a thought but we all might want to sit back a bit and wait for the development changes that I'd bet are coming. The IRS rear and different drive system are just the start. Mini lipo's are going to change things big time. Thats a prediction on my part. As for Tamiya....don't be surprised if we don't see the F201 suspension return on a 2wd chassis layout. I just ran one of mine the other day for the first time in years in 2wd form with a silver can and will be testing both 21.5 and 25.5 brushless. With these now more widely accepted motors the car handled darned well against a new F104W on foams. I ran no front shocks. Just used the stabilizer plate.
Tamiya has been on top of the F1 heap for awhile....won't surprise me to see them with a chassis designed for mini lipo with F201 suspension front and rear. Rubber tires would then really have a chance due to the available adjustments. So let it be written...so let it be done !!
On that note, I truly believe that F1 should be more realistic with real suspension fore and aft but that surely doesn't mean pan style cars can't race together with them. Until a defined difference in performance is PROVEN, there's no reason not to allow all F1 chassis to run together. This should be the ultimate class for suspension ,chassis development and setup. As for power and tire use, that should be left to individual clubs if they wish to change BUT a national set of rules should be in place for santioned events. The manufacturers will only react to standards set up by the racers. As of now, F1 is just a niche market outside of any established rule set. Those rules aren't their responsibility...they're ours. So who's going to set up a National F1 group before ROAR jumps in and screws things up ??

Last edited by Evoracer; 10-25-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #215
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Regardless of the track you race at, I am just saying what others like InsptGadgt and others, have pointed out that F1 rc racing needs to embrace a single overall format, instead of each manufacturer offering very different formats. We have 200mm, 180, and 190 and even some 200+ wide cars. Rubber tires , foam tires, solid axle pan car format, and scale independent suspension format, cheater cars like the Corally disguised as F1 cars, and on and on and on, with no clear direction or format. It makes it confusing for those who may be interested in getting into F1 rc. We need one overall design format from the different manufacturers and stick to it!

I personally believe very, very strongly that it should be scale realistic independent suspension F1 cars with scale realistic rubber tires. Let's be honest here Mantis; you haven't even driven the FGX yet on your track with whatever motor you favor, whether it be 8.5 or whatever. So how can you say that it won't work with the rubber tires and independent suspension. I suggest you get one and try it before you pass judgement. If you insist on using foams, make sure you rigidly enforce your tire diameter rule with no exceptions, because otherwise some joker will try to get away with using those shaved to the rim foams and then it will all spin out of control and everyone will be forced to use them.

I never said that we had to use only silver can or 21.5; I simply stated that for the relatively small indoor carpet track where I race, a silver can or a 21.5 would be more than enough for ANY F1 car, thats all.

Lotus ,my car is IRS i have a better feel for it than you do, about a year of wheel time behind one!!! My car has IRS with a gear dif/mid motor/short upper link with all of the same adjustments as the FGX. Here is EXACTLY what is going to happen with rubber tires: As inspgadgt stated the current rubber tires are not designed for IRS cars, the rear has much more grip but ALL of the tires available are very hard in the front and will only marginally work on carpet but on asphalt the car is going to push BAD. before i finally switched over to foam ( i truly am a fan of rubber) i was actually taking TC tires and making a "cap" to put over the front for more front grip! only other option is to take grip away from the rear to get your balance back. maybe we will get lucky and 3r will come out with proper tires. i would much rather run rubber but until better tire choice are available foam will work much better with faster motors! it looks like we will find out here in the next few weeks, im going to order one out ofthe next batch!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #216
Tech Fanatic

Evoracer, good post; you make some good points.

And yes, we do need someone to come up with some rules package before ROAR screws it up with their draconian rules.

Mantis, I do understand where you are coming from, and hopefully we will see better rubber tires in the future. I just want to see F1 avoid the ugly super shaved foam tires that have crept into the class. Scale foams with the proper diameter wouldn't be too bad, I guess. Still prefer rubber, even if it doesn't work as well.

Let us know what you come up with when you get your FGX and test it.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #217
Tech Champion

Quote:
Evoracer, good post; you make some good points.

And yes, we do need someone to come up with some rules package before ROAR screws it up with their draconian rules.

Mantis, I do understand where you are coming from, and hopefully we will see better rubber tires in the future. I just want to see F1 avoid the ugly super shaved foam tires that have crept into the class. Scale foams with the proper diameter wouldn't be too bad, I guess. Still prefer rubber, even if it doesn't work as well.

this is capped front tires on a prepped track, not bad with a 17.5

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mantiswo...21/RK1ZFwrOCU8

trust me i would rather have rubber too! and i am going to try it whatever way i can get on the car first. The first obstacle will be getting some kind of a wheel adapter made.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #218
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Just a thought but we all might want to sit back a bit and wait for the development changes that I'd bet are coming. The IRS rear and different drive system are just the start. Mini lipo's are going to change things big time. Thats a prediction on my part. As for Tamiya....don't be surprised if we don't see the F201 suspension return on a 2wd chassis layout. I just ran one of mine the other day for the first time in years in 2wd form with a silver can and will be testing both 21.5 and 25.5 brushless. With these now more widely accepted motors the car handled darned well against a new F104W on foams. I ran no front shocks. Just used the stabilizer plate.
Tamiya has been on top of the F1 heap for awhile....won't surprise me to see them with a chassis designed for mini lipo with F201 suspension front and rear. Rubber tires would then really have a chance due to the available adjustments. So let it be written...so let it be done !!
On that note, I truly believe that F1 should be more realistic with real suspension fore and aft but that surely doesn't mean pan style cars can't race together with them. Until a defined difference in performance is PROVEN, there's no reason not to allow all F1 chassis to run together. This should be the ultimate class for suspension ,chassis development and setup. As for power and tire use, that should be left to individual clubs if they wish to change BUT a national set of rules should be in place for santioned events. The manufacturers will only react to standards set up by the racers. As of now, F1 is just a niche market outside of any established rule set. Those rules aren't their responsibility...they're ours. So who's going to set up a National F1 group before ROAR jumps in and screws things up ??
i tried to get something going and it didnt pan out at all, so it will not be me!!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #219
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I just want to see F1 avoid the ugly super shaved foam tires that have crept into the class. Scale foams with the proper diameter wouldn't be too bad, I guess. Still prefer rubber, even if it doesn't work as well.

Would be a great rule. Dont shave your foams to the rim. Must have a scale look and maybe a minimum amount of foam.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #220
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Would be a great rule. Dont shave your foams to the rim. Must have a scale look and maybe a minimum amount of foam.
In Sweden they used to have max roll out rule.
It woud limit the size of the wheels

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #221
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For 30mph down, and silver can motors, rubber tires work: my Nikko worked flawlessly with a trinity monster stock(40+mph). Any faster, you will need a prepped hot track, and lots of tire sauce, but I think the 20R to 24R compound should be good enough...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #222
Tech Adept

bertrandsv87, why u are talking about RC toy in topic, where other people are talking about RC racing chassis? U can't say what is possible or impossible when only 2WD car, what had you drove, is only modified toy... Sorry, but it's same, as if I told, that this car will be very understeery, because my buggy-based RWD rally special with totally different weight distribution is understeery to!

btw I like this car... RWD with IRS was my dream and now it's real... and pretty cheap

Last edited by Papi; 10-25-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #223
Tech Champion

I use to beat quite a few tamiyas with my Nikko F1 ! I even read somewhere that someone won a championship using a $100 Nikko F1 ! Remember, it's not the car, it's the driver ! It went 24+mph with a silver can motor, and 26mph with an upgraded motor. The FGX is much nicer though for about $25 more, but I would still recommend a Nikko for a kid who wants to participate for the first time....
Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #224
Tech Champion

The Nikko F1 car handled surprisingly well...I did a review of it for RC Driver many years ago.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #225
Tech Champion

As dampers, I use to put a small tubular piece of foam with thick #3 grease between the springs and the centering plastic or steel rod that held the springs. The toyish bounce was gone, and it drove well enough to run with tamiyas....