R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #196
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Okay, my bad, a TC4. Yes, we all know FBF is in Brooklyn, your point being?

Last edited by cartix; 10-24-2011 at 06:30 PM.
cartix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #197
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Can't wait for someone to give some road test results. The budget won't allow me to buy just yet so I'll just have to sit back and let you guys do all the test and tune.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #198
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, second that! I would love to read about some road tests of the FGX!

Also, I would still like to know which of the Ride rubber tires I should use on the FGX for carpet racing; there are several compounds from firm on down to super soft; which should I use?

I'm thinking of going with the silver can motor.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #199
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Road test and videos too ! Blown away at FBF , really, I finished 3rd with a trophy in my first year racing, a way too short sagging driverstand tarp that messes up my antenna(causes glitches), and zero setup done to the overweight (1558g) Fttc4 versus all out Pros with newer kits and no tecching(they were probably under 1400g) ....I did good under the circumstances! I will do better next year for sure . Tc6 was first, tc5 second, and Fttc4 third: next year there will be a battle for sure !
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #200
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Road test and videos too ! Blown away at FBF , really, I finished 3rd with a trophy in my first year racing, a way too short sagging driverstand tarp that messes up my antenna(causes glitches), and zero setup done to the overweight (1558g) Fttc4 versus all out Pros with newer kits and no tecching(they were probably under 1400g) ....I did good under the circumstances! I will do better next year for sure . Tc6 was first, tc5 second, and Fttc4 third: next year there will be a battle for sure !
Take it somewhere else ladies.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #201
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

this car looks like the real deal! now to figure out how to get foams on it ASAP!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #202
Tech Fanatic

Sorry Mantis, I don't agree with you about foams on an F1 car; they should all run rubber only! They may not give the ultimate performance of a foam, but the rubber tires look REAL, and that is what F1 rc needs to embrace, FULL SCALE REALISM!! Let the 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars with the "blob" bodies run foams for all out performance. I've seen the pics of some of the F1 cars running with the foam tires trued down to the rim just like the 1/12 and 1/10 pan car guys do, and honestly, on an F1 car it just looks plain UGLY. From a side view, all you see is the rim of the wheel. That crap doesn't belong in F1. While I'm at it, thinly disguised pan cars like the Corally with it's pan car wheels, 200+mm width, and Associated style pan car front suspension, have no place in a proper F1 class. They are cheater cars and they don't look even remotely like a real F1 car!

I'm hoping that the FGX is a huge hit in F1 rc, and that it causes Tamiya and others to build their own versions of the FGX. F1 rc needs to once and for all, embrace a single format, no more of this business of each different manufacturer offering completely different formats: pan car, solid axle, independent suspension, pan car wheels, foam tires, rubber tires, 200mm, 180mm, 190mm, etc, etc, etc. I believe a proper 2WD chassis with full independent chassis and a width of between 180-190mm, along the lines of the FGX is the way to go.

Having said that however, I do believe that 3Racing made a mistake with regards to the FGX by not making it so that it will accept Tamiya wheels, bodies and wings. Those parts should be universal on ALL F1 cars! Plus we all know that Tamiya makes the best looking scale F1 bodies, hands down!

F1 rc cars need to stop being narrowed down pan cars with an F1 body and wings, and become proper scale looking F1 cars with realistic independent suspensions etc. After all, unless people heads have been stuck in the sand lately, it is obvious that the majority who are interested in on-road racing are asking for SCALE REALISTIC cars. One of the most popular and fastest growing classes is the Vintage Trans Am series which promotes scale realism above all else, and it is a big hit! And the same could happen for F1 if done properly. We who are fans of F1 rc racing can help make this all happen by voting with our wallets and purchasing the FGX. This will send a message to Tamiya and others of what direction we want to see F1 go. I'm betting that even now there are those at Tamiya who are watching the response to the FGX; heck, they probably already bought one for themselves so that they can study it and design their own version. I know that is what I would do if I were them!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #203
Tech Champion

I agree with 3racing coming with their own stuff, wheels, bodies, etc, and not following tamiya's lead on this one, even if their stuff does not look as good as tamiya's yet ! You got to respect them for that, and they can't be followers for life !!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #204
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Sorry Mantis, I don't agree with you about foams on an F1 car; they should all run rubber only! They may not give the ultimate performance of a foam, but the rubber tires look REAL, and that is what F1 rc needs to embrace, FULL SCALE REALISM!! Let the 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars with the "blob" bodies run foams for all out performance. I've seen the pics of some of the F1 cars running with the foam tires trued down to the rim just like the 1/12 and 1/10 pan car guys do, and honestly, on an F1 car it just looks plain UGLY. From a side view, all you see is the rim of the wheel. That crap doesn't belong in F1. While I'm at it, thinly disguised pan cars like the Corally with it's pan car wheels, 200+mm width, and Associated style pan car front suspension, have no place in a proper F1 class. They are cheater cars and they don't look even remotely like a real F1 car!

I'm hoping that the FGX is a huge hit in F1 rc, and that it causes Tamiya and others to build their own versions of the FGX. F1 rc needs to once and for all, embrace a single format, no more of this business of each different manufacturer offering completely different formats: pan car, solid axle, independent suspension, pan car wheels, foam tires, rubber tires, 200mm, 180mm, 190mm, etc, etc, etc. I believe a proper 2WD chassis with full independent chassis and a width of between 180-190mm, along the lines of the FGX is the way to go.

Having said that however, I do believe that 3Racing made a mistake with regards to the FGX by not making it so that it will accept Tamiya wheels, bodies and wings. Those parts should be universal on ALL F1 cars! Plus we all know that Tamiya makes the best looking scale F1 bodies, hands down!

F1 rc cars need to stop being narrowed down pan cars with an F1 body and wings, and become proper scale looking F1 cars with realistic independent suspensions etc. After all, unless people heads have been stuck in the sand lately, it is obvious that the majority who are interested in on-road racing are asking for SCALE REALISTIC cars. One of the most popular and fastest growing classes is the Vintage Trans Am series which promotes scale realism above all else, and it is a big hit! And the same could happen for F1 if done properly. We who are fans of F1 rc racing can help make this all happen by voting with our wallets and purchasing the FGX. This will send a message to Tamiya and others of what direction we want to see F1 go. I'm betting that even now there are those at Tamiya who are watching the response to the FGX; heck, they probably already bought one for themselves so that they can study it and design their own version. I know that is what I would do if I were them!
But you think its ok to run silver can/21.5 motors? If you are going to go with keeping it real than go all the way.try putting an 8.5 on rubbers on an unprepped track......it sucks! I run both but I would rather go fast and not worry about wadding my car up for the sake of looking good sitting still! We only run 104 style foams, with a minimum diameter rule.
no point in running irs with a motor that won't spin the tires! I'm just saying..... You have seen the track I run on!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #205
Tech Fanatic

Regardless of the track you race at, I am just saying what others like InsptGadgt and others, have pointed out that F1 rc racing needs to embrace a single overall format, instead of each manufacturer offering very different formats. We have 200mm, 180, and 190 and even some 200+ wide cars. Rubber tires , foam tires, solid axle pan car format, and scale independent suspension format, cheater cars like the Corally disguised as F1 cars, and on and on and on, with no clear direction or format. It makes it confusing for those who may be interested in getting into F1 rc. We need one overall design format from the different manufacturers and stick to it!

I personally believe very, very strongly that it should be scale realistic independent suspension F1 cars with scale realistic rubber tires. Let's be honest here Mantis; you haven't even driven the FGX yet on your track with whatever motor you favor, whether it be 8.5 or whatever. So how can you say that it won't work with the rubber tires and independent suspension. I suggest you get one and try it before you pass judgement. If you insist on using foams, make sure you rigidly enforce your tire diameter rule with no exceptions, because otherwise some joker will try to get away with using those shaved to the rim foams and then it will all spin out of control and everyone will be forced to use them.

I never said that we had to use only silver can or 21.5; I simply stated that for the relatively small indoor carpet track where I race, a silver can or a 21.5 would be more than enough for ANY F1 car, thats all.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #206
Tech Champion

I think locally we are going to allow all the chassis so long as they are running rubber tires...that will naturally limit the chassis to realistic looking ones for the most part.

I too like the scale look that the rubber tires bring and the longevity...however I still feel tire manufacturers are missing the boat here as to me they still seem to be using TC rubber in F1 sized tire instead of formulating something entirely different. F1 cars are just too light for the rubber used on TC cars and with the RWD that just makes controlling these cars that much more difficult. I think F1 could be so much more if they would go another direction in tire development.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #207
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

All pre-orders of FGX kit were shipped out today.

FGX kit will be back in stock next week, www.tqrcracing.com

FYI, Thanks.
http://www.tqrcracing.com
tq@tqrcracing.com
spring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #208
Tech Champion

Anyway back on topic...whoever gets one soon please get some more detailed shots of the front wing and how it is held on...I'm really nervous about that as it looks like it is not sufficiently strong enough. The rest of the car looks very interesting but that front wing may be what keeps me away from it.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #209
Tech Champion

When you talk about TC rubber, do you mean that the compound is too hard ? What about 20R compound, it's the stickiest out there ?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #210
Tech Champion

I like the way that front wing protects the car ! I also sent in my payment by mail from NY(first name Bertrand) , did you guys receive it ? Contact me ASAP when you're ready to ship ! Thanks....