R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #2071
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
The rear end wasn't coming around at all. Still looked very quick. Congrats on yet another win!
Thanx, thing is that i had to take front grip away to equal the lost grip in the rear. I am going to give it a few weeks before i bother changing the lower chassis. There are still many things to play with on the front and rear. The car is quicker than before so its a step forward no doubt but not quite there yet, i think i got another .5 second in it somewhere between the tires and chassis setup. Last year i made a front sway bar that actually worked very well and that maybe what i need to do. Unfortunately i dont know where i put it at, its in a box somewhere!!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #2072
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schroder View Post
Cool thanks i will order the extras today. I ordered medium front and soft rear shimizus for it.

Also what esc motor combos are everyone using ?
Mike,

We don't have a specific motor rule at present, but like SMA, we are looking to adopt the UF1 rules, including the 21.5 blinky setup.
I now have that in my FGX and it isn't any slower for me than the 13t mini combo, but a shed load easier to drive + more consistent = more fun
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #2073
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetmaster View Post
Mike,

We don't have a specific motor rule at present, but like SMA, we are looking to adopt the UF1 rules, including the 21.5 blinky setup.
I now have that in my FGX and it isn't any slower for me than the 13t mini combo, but a shed load easier to drive + more consistent = more fun
thanks Michael i have sent you a PM.
Mike Schroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #2074
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RicerX1
Default FGX not a good beginner car.

This is my first 1/10th scale on road car.

The car drives very well according to my friends that have more experience then me. The problem is I hardly get any drive time since everything seems to break so easily. I see people rolling and hitting things harder then I do, but they drive off unscathed. Now I'm scared to drive the car or even push the car a little as I'm scared to break anything and its really hindering the learning process.

I've been to the track 2 times and ran about through about 3 packs. And so far I've broken.

2 front upper arms then I went to turnbuckle front end
2 ball ends - pulled the threads out of the turnbuckle on the forward front upper arm link.
1 lower front arm
1 kingpin
1 rear arm

I'd say 1 out of ever 3 crashes breaks something.

I like the car too much to get rid of it. I drove and crashed my friends F1R and F104 and definitely like the way the FGX drives just not the way it crashes.

I'll probably shelf this car till I get better at driving (being able to drive straight, not overcorrect, and get my left right orientation properly).
Attached Thumbnails
3 racing new F1-imag0297.jpg   3 racing new F1-imag0309.jpg  
RicerX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #2075
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

duplicate

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #2076
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicerX1 View Post

The car drives very well according to my friends that have more experience then me. The problem is I hardly get any drive time since everything seems to break so easily. I see people rolling and hitting things harder then I do, but they drive off unscathed. Now I'm scared to drive the car or even push the car a little as I'm scared to break anything and its really hindering the learning process.

I've been to the track 2 times and ran about through about 3 packs. And so far I've broken.

2 ball ends - pulled the threads out of the turnbuckle on the forward front upper arm link.
1 lower front arm
1 kingpin
1 rear arm

I like the car too much to get rid of it. I drove and crashed my friends F1R and F104 and definitely like the way the FGX drives just not the way it crashes.

I'll probably shelf this car till I get better at driving (being able to drive straight, not overcorrect, and get my left right orientation properly).

Some tracks in socal are pretty harsh on cars. Don't get discouraged. What you can try for now is find a big smooth natural asphalt (not sealed) parking lot and set up some obstacles to drive around. A figure 8 is actually good rc exercise for new guys. After a few weekends of practicing like this you should feel more confident to hit up a race track on a practice only day.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #2077
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:

1 lower front arm
1 kingpin
1 rear arm

I sincerely hope your fellow racers didnt talk you into an f1 as a beginners car !
They need to be driven, whereas a tourer will all but drive itself ( and possibly you to sleep). Definitely shelve the open wheeler until you can drive a lap without crashing .o
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #2078
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RicerX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Some tracks in socal are pretty harsh on cars. Don't get discouraged. What you can try for now is find a big smooth natural asphalt (not sealed) parking lot and set up some obstacles to drive around. A figure 8 is actually good rc exercise for new guys. After a few weekends of practicing like this you should feel more confident to hit up a race track on a practice only day.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetmaster View Post
I sincerely hope your fellow racers didnt talk you into an f1 as a beginners car !
They need to be driven, whereas a tourer will all but drive itself ( and possibly you to sleep). Definitely shelve the open wheeler until you can drive a lap without crashing .o
It was my friends that got me to get an F1
I don't have very nice friends apparently.
RicerX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #2079
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just have fun
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #2080
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oortael View Post
Nice looking Sauber! How did you paint the stripes on the nose? My first try got terribly wrong
just used some pin stripe tape i bought at hobby lobby and shaped it, i then used a paint brush to color it in.
aceinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #2081
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinthesky View Post
just used some pin stripe tape i bought at hobby lobby and shaped it, i then used a paint brush to color it in.
I've bought a painting pen from Tamiya to do the red stripes. I think I've to get better masking tape.
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #2082
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot

It was my friends that got me to get an F1
I don't have very nice friends apparently.

Another tip: dial your brakes almost all the way out. and your steering dual rate (end point adjustments) down to around 75%. what this will do is force you to drive the car smooth until you figure it out. It is only 2wd so you only have rear brakes, if you have too much brake dialed in everytime you hit the brakes it will spin around and you will wreck. Also turn your power way down. Remember that its about completing laps more than speed. A 30second lap is better than a 45+ second lap because your flipped upside down This past weekend i setup probably 10 cars for newbies, 104's and FGX's. here are the setups and issues that 90% of them had:
Make sure you calibrate the ESC to your radio
Make sure your steering turnbuckles are equal length
Make sure you set your steering endpoints to the car

Set your front end to about 2* toe out (this gives you exit push)
The dif was built wrong on every car i checked! it has to be smooth and free.
Steering dual rate 70%
Brake EPA 60%
Dont mess with the "bells and whistles" on your radio. what i mean by that is leave the EXPO, throttle and steering curves alone until you actually know what they do ( and even then I dont mess with them!)

I made this a sticky on our new website:
http://www.haf1r.com/index.php?/topic/11-beginner-tips/

Last edited by MantisWorx; 03-20-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #2083
Tech Addict

Hay all just an quick question does having the drs open or closed actually make a difference? Or is it just for looks

Cheers josh
http://aracersthought.blogspot.com.au/
Supa_18's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #2084
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa_18's View Post
Hay all just an quick question does having the drs open or closed actually make a difference? Or is it just for looks

Cheers josh
no difference, at 21.5 speeds MAYBE on a very large track and upwards of 65mph. I made a diffuser on my mod car that would actually make the car push at high speeds so it worked!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #2085
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
no difference, at 21.5 speeds MAYBE on a very large track and upwards of 65mph. I made a diffuser on my mod car that would actually make the car push at high speeds so it worked!
Hmmm ok. Thanks for the help. Another thing is how does everyone run such low ride height without bottoming out? Thanks all
http://aracersthought.blogspot.com.au/
Supa_18's is offline   Reply With Quote