Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Schroder
ok guys i ordered my FGX and it should arrive tomorrow, the only additional i ordered for it were the speed gear set.

What other options should i get for this car and why, this is my first 2wd car and i am hanging out to get it ?

Also will a micro KO servo fit into this car or do you have to use a low profile std size servo ?

Also im not sure does the body come in the kit or is this sold seperatley ?

Cheers.
I've got the speed gear set on the way, and other then that just the damper springs and nose weight. The kit hex's a really loose on the pin, so the clamp style 4mm hex's are probably a good idea, but when I placed my orders were out of stock.

Comes with a body. Just not tyres. I've got the grooved shimzu soft rears medium fronts and in the 5 seconds I've tested for out the front of the house they were good.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
I've got the speed gear set on the way, and other then that just the damper springs and nose weight. The kit hex's a really loose on the pin, so the clamp style 4mm hex's are probably a good idea, but when I placed my orders were out of stock.

Comes with a body. Just not tyres. I've got the grooved shimzu soft rears medium fronts and in the 5 seconds I've tested for out the front of the house they were good.
Cool thanks i will order the extras today. I ordered medium front and soft rear shimizus for it.

Also what esc motor combos are everyone using ?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default McKune FGX invades ROAR carpet nationals!

MD FGX's had a great showing at carpet nats today. Official results placing them at second, fifth and tenth place. Kory was absolutely flying with his. Matching top speed and lap times with the fastest f104's from uf1 series veterans phalen and Kennedy.
Thank you Troy for such a fine product!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer robert
MD FGX's had a great showing at carpet nats today. Official results placing them at second, fifth and tenth place. Kory was absolutely flying with his. Matching top speed and lap times with the fastest f104's from uf1 series veterans phalen and Kennedy.
Thank you Troy for such a fine product!
Kody's FGX was on fire. Kennedy and I both agree that the McKune FGX conversion is the real deal on carpet. We're very curious to see how it will work outdoors.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default ROAR Nationals

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Kody's FGX was on fire. Kennedy and I both agree that the McKune FGX conversion is the real deal on carpet. We're very curious to see how it will work outdoors.
Thanks! Congrats on the win.

For those who watched it live on Liverc.com it was definitely a roller coaster day. Congratulations to Kody Knudtson for his 2nd place, Robert Bremer for 5th, and Mark Day for 10th (broke on the start).

Kody was running my personal car. The same car I did all the development on over the last few months. With some setup help from Mark Day he was able to get it on pace with the fastest F104's. Very soon Mark and I will post pics and setup information on how we are running are cars. We kept some stuff hush hush leading up to nationals.

Troy
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Congratulations Troy, your conversion transforms the FGX into truly competitive racer. The bolt on speed provided by the chassis set makes it a must have option.

Mark
Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default MD-FGX on asphalt

Here are my impressions on the MD-FGX over the weekend on low grip (pollen everywhere and lots of rain last week!) I swapped over all of my parts and used the same previous setup so i would get an impression of what changes occur. The kit went together very well, on ly had to slightly clearance the left side of the upper deck to clear my 37 pinion w/fantom motor.

First time on the track i could not even make it around a lap! it had really bad over steer, i kept fiddling with front ends settings and tire changes but still un drivable . So as im walking back to my pit i realized that it is the back of the car causing the issues. I has also changed the rear dif to 1k so i went back to 80wt and it was better but still not easy to drive. So next i went to the softest springs (stock) and upped the fluid to 5k, the MD changes the shock angles and makes them actually work smoother even with 5k it felt like the old 2k. This combo with more caster and a harder front tire seemed to work fairly well. This was on saturday,today was race day at a different track that had slightly more grip. Car felt good and all i really messed with was tire combo's. TQ'd with one more lap than i did at the last race and went from a 12.2 to 11.9 fast time! so it is definitely quicker but i think i can get more out of it.
In my opinion the upper deck flex is perfect but the lower chassis is too stiff therefore less rear grip. Troy do you think you could make me a thinner lower chassis?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Cool thanks i will order the extras today. I ordered medium front and soft rear shimizus for it.

Anything smaller than a 6mm clamp hub is too narrow. The rim will rub on the linkage. Integy or 3Racing 6mm hubs work great.

Order a set of 5mm ID shims and put one behind the pin on each axle. I picked up the 3Racing set from TQ with 3 different thicknesses.

The other part I had to replace were the diff bearing retainers. The 4 pack for the Zero S, also from TQ, fixed my bearing wobble issue.

My other option parts were the front spring set, the rear spring set. The rear bulk heads/motor mount set, front wing stiffener and the McKune chassis. After two broken upper decks, the chassis replacement was necessary, IMO.

For spares, get the set with front arms, the set with the steering knuckles and a good set of bearings.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

VId of the MD from the A main today, you can tell corner speed is a little slower than before but it was much more predictable. probably a little sway bar would have helped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvBn...1&feature=plcp
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Where abouts are you racing? We're just starting up in Newcastle so we are basing our rules on the Castle Hill/Windsor rules. 17.5 with blinky. I'm using an old Tekin Redline from my boosted TC, but its a bit of a fatty and doesn't give me much room for pinions. I plan on moving the post that's in the way, but I'll see how I go with the fast gear set first. I went with the Novak EDGE esc. So far so good, but I havent really tested the car properly yet.

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Anything smaller than a 6mm clamp hub is too narrow. The rim will rub on the linkage. Integy or 3Racing 6mm hubs work great.

Order a set of 5mm ID shims and put one behind the pin on each axle. I picked up the 3Racing set from TQ with 3 different thicknesses.

The other part I had to replace were the diff bearing retainers. The 4 pack for the Zero S, also from TQ, fixed my bearing wobble issue.

My other option parts were the front spring set, the rear spring set. The rear bulk heads/motor mount set, front wing stiffener and the McKune chassis. After two broken upper decks, the chassis replacement was necessary, IMO.

For spares, get the set with front arms, the set with the steering knuckles and a good set of bearings.
Thanks for the tips on the hex, I would have ordered the 4mm ones and found out the hard way. I'll order the 6mm now.

I'm holding off on the MD/Exo chassis and the same with the bulkheads for now. The bulkheads because exo are working on their own motor mount, and the chassis option for the same reason plus waiting to see if 3R come out with the IFS system.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

[QUOTE=wollow86;10485668]Where abouts are you racing? We're just starting up in Newcastle so we are basing our rules on the Castle Hill/Windsor rules. 17.5 with blinky. I'm using an old Tekin Redline from my boosted TC, but its a bit of a fatty and doesn't give me much room for pinions. I plan on moving the post that's in the way, but I'll see how I go with the fast gear set first. I went with the Novak EDGE esc. So far so good, but I havent really tested the car properly yet.

thanks between CH and Rivo.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
VId of the MD from the A main today, you can tell corner speed is a little slower than before but it was much more predictable. probably a little sway bar would have helped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvBn...1&feature=plcp
The rear end wasn't coming around at all. Still looked very quick. Congrats on yet another win!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

finished
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-074.jpg   3 racing new F1-075.jpg   3 racing new F1-076.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Tech Champion

Nice!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aceinthesky
finished
Nice looking Sauber! How did you paint the stripes on the nose? My first try got terribly wrong

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.