R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #2041
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,281
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Some cell phone shots for your viewing pleasure. The silver one needs some Mercedes decals. The Retro-McLaren had its maiden voyage tonight. I'm going to try the peal and stick vinyl on the wings, so a little more body work to be done on both.





__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #2042
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

I made some mods to the gear diff and it still torque steers pretty hard so I bit the $30 bullet and bought the ball diff tonight. Man what a difference. The car felt smoother, looked smoother, and with the right setting no more torque steer. Having absolutely no idea what to do with this diff I still equaled my best lap times with the gear diff. Consistency was a little off but it wasn't my best driving night and like I said I have no idea what I'm doing with this new diff. I guarantee that I will get just as consistent, increase my smoothness and lower my lap times with the ball diff. Tuning is a breeze. Pull one tire pop the camber link slide out the axle and give a small twist with a screwdriver. Diff tuning in under 2 minutes. By the way the ball diff is 3 grams lighter than the gear diff with aluminum cups.

bye bye gear diff. I may put one of these in my vta car next.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #2043
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 847
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default

Hey guys just wondering if there is another gear diff that would fit the fgx or if there is stronger gears for it. I have stripped all the gears in my diff

Also snapped my top deck near the caster block today but ran all day with no front wing and funnily the car felt heaps better.
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #2044
Tech Master
 
T-shirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Hey guys just wondering if there is another gear diff that would fit the fgx or if there is stronger gears for it. I have stripped all the gears in my diff

Also snapped my top deck near the caster block today but ran all day with no front wing and funnily the car felt heaps better.
Xray NT1 diff gear will fits.
T-shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #2045
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 847
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-shirt View Post
Xray NT1 diff gear will fits.
Cool cheers. But how will that work, cause the nt1 diff is for belts?
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #2046
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Hey guys just wondering if there is another gear diff that would fit the fgx or if there is stronger gears for it. I have stripped all the gears in my diff

Also snapped my top deck near the caster block today but ran all day with no front wing and funnily the car felt heaps better.
Cant work out how you guys constantly strip gears. I have a Sakura Zero and a Sakura FF basically running the same gear diff components and have yet to strip any gears. While I dont race a lot the TITC event was 2 weeks of hard practice and racing with no damage.

Are you building them correctly? Have you read the 3 Racing article on how to build the gear diff?
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #2047
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Cool cheers. But how will that work, cause the nt1 diff is for belts?
The internal gears
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #2048
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 847
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
The internal gears
Doh I see now hahaha
I just stripped down the gear diff and the gears are fine, no wear but had no oil in it??

The noise it was marking was horrible, I redid the diff again with oil and used aw grease on out drives and fitted an X-ray diff seal I had. I did a few high speed runs with it and no leak and no noise.
I had taken out 1 shim behind big gears and 1 shim out behind each small gears previously, but now put them back in.
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #2049
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Doh I see now hahaha
I just stripped down the gear diff and the gears are fine, no wear but had no oil in it??

The noise it was marking was horrible, I redid the diff again with oil and used aw grease on out drives and fitted an X-ray diff seal I had. I did a few high speed runs with it and no leak and no noise.
I had taken out 1 shim behind big gears and 1 shim out behind each small gears previously, but now put them back in.
Without all the shims the internal gears can run on just the ends of the internal gears teeth ... not good. Use the shims as instructed. The diff will feel slightly rougher but it smooths out and doesn't fail as easy
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #2050
Tech Elite
 
fleetmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,642
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I made some mods to the gear diff and it still torque steers pretty hard so I bit the $30 bullet and bought the ball diff tonight. Man what a difference. The car felt smoother, looked smoother, and with the right setting no more torque steer. Having absolutely no idea what to do with this diff I still equaled my best lap times with the gear diff. Consistency was a little off but it wasn't my best driving night and like I said I have no idea what I'm doing with this new diff. I guarantee that I will get just as consistent, increase my smoothness and lower my lap times with the ball diff. Tuning is a breeze. Pull one tire pop the camber link slide out the axle and give a small twist with a screwdriver. Diff tuning in under 2 minutes. By the way the ball diff is 3 grams lighter than the gear diff with aluminum cups.

bye bye gear diff. I may put one of these in my vta car next.
Funny you mention the ball diff, I priced one today for my FGX. As much as I like the lower maintenance aspect of the gear diff, I suspect I may be suffering inconsistent rear traction ,due to the oil thinning out.
I blamed the tyres going off (around four minutes in ) , but had a brain explosion regarding the diff. Definitely something to try out !
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #2051
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys.

What's the highest you can make the front ride height on the FGX?

I have it set up to kit right now, which is like 4.5mm. But I was hoping to make it a bit higher, something like 5.5.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #2052
Tech Adept
 
Oortael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 172
Default

Hi,

How do I calculate the gering on this car?

Regards
Oortael
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #2053
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oortael View Post
Hi,

How do I calculate the gering on this car?

Regards
Oortael

(Spur / pinion ) * 2.71
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #2054
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetmaster View Post
Funny you mention the ball diff, I priced one today for my FGX. As much as I like the lower maintenance aspect of the gear diff, I suspect I may be suffering inconsistent rear traction ,due to the oil thinning out.
I blamed the tyres going off (around four minutes in ) , but had a brain explosion regarding the diff. Definitely something to try out !
I didn't even think of the gear diff being the problem but now that you mention it my car dis seem to go soft about 5 minutes into a run. Never had a traction problem but our track is high grip. I didn't get this soft feeling with the ball diff.

I was skeptical about the ball diff at first but I'm trying everything to get the car to rotate the turns better. It definitely helped and I think it is a big step in the right direction to free up the rear and get more consistency out of the car. I only have two races on it but it felt great. I Personally I like it more than the gear diff. Definitely something to try.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #2055
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

ok guys i ordered my FGX and it should arrive tomorrow, the only additional i ordered for it were the speed gear set.

What other options should i get for this car and why, this is my first 2wd car and i am hanging out to get it ?

Also will a micro KO servo fit into this car or do you have to use a low profile std size servo ?

Also im not sure does the body come in the kit or is this sold seperatley ?

Cheers.
Mike Schroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI's new F1 PhatPat Electric On-Road 1173 10-10-2013 12:18 AM
new F1 !!! il-gufo Electric On-Road 29 03-26-2011 11:17 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:57 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0